Help! Static sound from Tonearm

Hi there everyone. I’m a newbie to the detailed vinyl and turntable universe, and I’m experiencing some troubling feedback from my tonearm

My setup comprises of the following:  

• Turntable: Rega Planar 1 
  • Preamp: Rega A2D Fono Mini 
  • Speakers: Cambridge Audio Yoyo (m) 
  • Phono Cable: Cambridge 100 Interconnect Cable 

THE ISSUE: 

Whenever moving my tone arm up and back, there is a metallic, electric static *crunching* or *crackling* sound. 
This sound continues on a quieter level when playing records. 
It is not the sound of dust or a dirty record. That is a very different crackle. 
I have also tried moving the tonearm with the stylus cartridge disconnected, and the sound still occurs - so it is not my stylus. 

THEORY:

I wonder whether this has anything to do with excess electrical currents, or something electrical based. Touching the Earth connection on my preamp seems to impact the volume of the static crackle and temporarily dull the sound.

Please, lend me your brilliant knowledge, and hopefully help me solve this frustrating issue. 
Thank you! 

•  

Hi! The Rega tonearms are grounded through the shields of the RCA plug rather than having a dedicated ground wire to attach to the receiver, unfortunately.  Has this been a constant issue with the turntable since day one or something that has happened as time has passed? You could try wiggling the cables to see if that reduces it. You could also try taking a piece of wire and wrapping it around the tonearm and touching it to a bare metal spot on the turntable, or the grounding spot on the preamp. Does this make it go away? 

• 5 months later...

I'm having a very similar problem with my new Music Hall 2.3SE,  I hear some pops or clicks when I move the tonearm up and down, like when you move it to place it over the record... or when you are returning it to the tonearm rest...  

I believe it doesn't affect playback but honestly I don't know.. 

The table sounds great though...