PO: Protomartyr - Ultimate Success Today

• 3 months later...

I am loving this record.  no surprise i've loved almost everything they've done 

from the start...

but does anyone know the pressing info on this?

I accidentally ordered this three time.  (no kidding)...

I have a black, a black blob in red, and a red / blue mash...

and there's even a blue one out there.   anyone?

21 minutes ago, thepunkguy said:

I accidentally ordered this three time.  (no kidding)...

I have a black, a black blob in red, and a red / blue mash...

and there's even a blue one out there.   anyone?

No pressing info/numbers on any of the Domino stuff, I don’t think. There is a blue, pretty sure it’s the retail, that Domino sends to indies worldwide. 

Did you order the “a side/b side”(I think that’s what it is, from the pictures I’ve seen) from Domino UK or something? I have a feeling all of the overseas orders got the crazier looking version, when I was under the impression they were all(worldwide) blue/red color in color. I didn’t see any mention of anything other than that.

Edited by MyEnemy

9 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

No pressing info/numbers on any of the Domino stuff, I don’t think. There is a blue, pretty sure it’s the retail, that Domino sends to indies worldwide. 

Did you order the “a side/b side”(I think that’s what it is, from the pictures I’ve seen) from Domino UK or something? I have a feeling all of the overseas orders got the crazier looking version, when I was under the impression they were all(worldwide) blue/red color in color. I didn’t see any mention of anything other than that.

actually..

I just opened my red / blue and it looks exactly like the other one I talked about..

so maybe the one online was just a mock up..  cause both of these look like it's a black blob in red.

I didn't realize it but both of them say  red /  blue vinyl.

so maybe I am wrong.   

6 minutes ago, thepunkguy said:

actually..

I just opened my red / blue and it looks exactly like the other one I talked about..

so maybe the one online was just a mock up..  cause both of these look like it's a black blob in red.

so maybe I am wrong.   

Yeah, this was only advertised as red/blue color in color, and I’m pretty sure, even if you order from the US, it’s all the same “batch”(same with all their other releases), but I feel like there may have been a plant fuck up, or something, that caused the really awesome “a side/b side” version, and they were sent out first, to all the overseas orders. I haven’t seen anyone in the US post anything besides the c/c.

There was never mention of two different variants, for mail order(there’s only ever one, worldwide). Shit happens... haha Bummed when I got mine yesterday and saw all the other ones though.

2 hours ago, thepunkguy said:

actually..

so maybe I am wrong.   

I ordered a variant recently that was exactly the same blob colors as this one and it looked exactly like that.  Red with dark blue blob 

Alright, you guys twisted my arm.  Gave into the hype and took this for a spin – really solid first impressions.  Almost getting an Idles vibe if they swapped out some of their blistering punk angles for some Michael Gira-esque vocal bits here and there.  A unique sound through and through, though.  Guess I should probably work backwards into their catalog.

3 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Alright, you guys twisted my arm.  Gave into the hype and took this for a spin – really solid first impressions.  Almost getting an Idles vibe if they swapped out some of their blistering punk angles for some Michael Gira-esque vocal bits here and there.  A unique sound through and through, though.  Guess I should probably work backwards into their catalog.

Not really unique. It's like a modern day version of The Fall with better production.

For yourself or anyone new, start with this and go backwards from there. They really grew as musicians and song writers quite a bit. Lyrically still the same quality writing

7 minutes ago, youspinmeround said:

Not really unique. It's like a modern day version of The Fall with better production.

For yourself or anyone new, start with this and go backwards from there. They really grew as musicians and song writers quite a bit. Lyrically still the same quality writing

Are there any particular standout albums from The Fall you'd endorse?

33 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Are there any particular standout albums from The Fall you'd endorse?

Live at the witch trials, hex education hour, this nation's saving grace.

That will give you a varied taste.

After that I would say dragnet, grotesque, perverted by language. 

Pretty much anything outside of that is going to be a personal taste, difficult to listen to or spotty.

44 minutes ago, youspinmeround said:

You make this sound like it’s a bad thing... haha

I feel like a band like Fontaines DC has more of The Fall vibe, where as Protomartyr has a more ridged early 4AD sound. But any band that sound remotely like The Fall in 2020, sign me up.

2 hours ago, MyEnemy said:

You make this sound like it’s a bad thing... haha

I feel like a band like Fontaines DC has more of The Fall vibe, where as Protomartyr has a more ridged early 4AD sound. But any band that sound remotely like The Fall in 2020, sign me up.

Not a bad thing. Was just pointing out that they arent really unique and used The Fall analogy

On an album note, I think this may just be Protomartyrs best album

• 4 weeks later...

sup nerds. my internet buddy in the band just gave me the heads up that the small amount of copies the band got of the blue/red just went up. i would act fast, as i believe they did not get very many at all. 

https://www.hellomerch.com/collections/protomartyr/products/ultimate-success-today-red-blue-vinyl

1 minute ago, jrodan said:

sup nerds. my internet buddy in the band just gave me the heads up that the small amount of copies the band got of the blue/red just went up. i would act fast, as i believe they did not get very many at all. 

https://www.hellomerch.com/collections/protomartyr/products/ultimate-success-today-red-blue-vinyl

Nice.  Are these true blue-reds or likely the red with black blob?