PO: Protomartyr - Ultimate Success Today

25 minutes ago, jrodan said:

from what i have gleaned, there are only 3 versions. black, blue transparent and blue/red blob which may have different variances within it, but constitutes the same version.

You’re right.  There’s just some speculation that US copies ended up as more of a red with black blob, from what I’ve gathered.  If it’s all a giant dice roll I’m still into it and will gladly grab a copy for $20.

Edited by Derek™

4 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

You’re right.  There’s just some speculation that US copies ended up as more of a red with black blob, from what I’ve gathered.  If it’s all a giant dice I’m still into it and will gladly grab a copy for $20.

That’s some real THE HOBBY hair splitting, and I doubt you could ever get pressing numbers. But perhaps in 50 years we will have ourselves some Misfits/Black Flag style confusion leading to insane prices. 

28 minutes ago, jrodan said:

sup nerds. my internet buddy in the band just gave me the heads up that the small amount of copies the band got of the blue/red just went up. i would act fast, as i believe they did not get very many at all. 

https://www.hellomerch.com/collections/protomartyr/products/ultimate-success-today-red-blue-vinyl

Thanks man!!

18 minutes ago, jrodan said:

That’s some real THE HOBBY hair splitting, and I doubt you could ever get pressing numbers. But perhaps in 50 years we will have ourselves some Misfits/Black Flag style confusion leading to insane prices. 

Nah, it shouldn’t be counted as its own variant.  Hobby overkill, I agree.  But there’s a pretty big disparity between the end products and the true blue-red mesh is a serious beaut.  Doubt I’d wind up with one but for $20 I can’t be fussed.  Appreciate the share; it’s even cheaper than the indie blue I grabbed a week ago.

7 minutes ago, aopps42 said:

That’s the first time I’ve noticed on Hello a tip option. I guess just take the extra $2 from the $6.50 shipping as the tip  🤷‍♂️

I don’t have a ton of gripes with Hello Merch, but their mailers are pretty eh for the inflated Media Mail cost.  [I’ve had a few orders suffer as a result, over the years.]  I also get charged tax more often than not so it adds up really quick.  A $20 record pushes $30 after getting reamed by their webstore.

5 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I got real lucky with my Hello Merch copy that jrodan shared the link for.  Red with very “layered” blue swirls.  Sort of has a blossoming-rose effect going on.  Hope the rest of you guys score as well or better.

got mine today as well and it also has that awesome blossoming effect. it is also definitely red and blue and not red and black as someone mentioned previously. cant believe how fast it got to me, and so stoked with how it turned out. glad i could help some others out as well. praise VC.

3 minutes ago, jrodan said:

got mine today as well and it also has that awesome blossoming effect. it is also definitely red and blue and not red and black as someone mentioned previously. cant believe how fast it got to me, and so stoked with how it turned out. glad i could help some others out as well. praise VC.

The “red and black” was coming from me, I think.  Just from the photos I was seeing firsthand as well as numerous comments on a Discogs, etc.  I guess that blue ends up becoming a deep, dark purple as mentioned in the thread.  Not the end of the world but I’m glad ours didn’t go that route.

15 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I got real lucky with my Hello Merch copy that jrodan shared the link for.  Red with very “layered” blue swirls.  Sort of has a blossoming-rose effect going on.  Hope the rest of you guys score as well or better.

Same color in color, as what I and a lot of other people got, just a better representation of it. Glad I picked up another copy. And yeah, it's doing that thing with a lot of c/c pressings lately, where it's getting a bit crazy and less contained. Looks sick.

The other "black" copies is what would normally happen with c/c pressing, where one color becomes dominant and over takes the other. I don't think people were understanding that. My first copy you can definitely tell it's royal blue, but the red over bares it. That's the issue with trying to c/c with certain colors. Ehhh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Was still hoping for the wild a side/b side. haha

On 8/21/2020 at 5:03 PM, Derek™ said:

https://m.imgur.com/a/GXLI7vq

here’s a pic of mine that arrived today.  To me it looks pretty much exactly like the mockup.  Is this like what you guys received?

2 minutes ago, OldKentuckyShark said:

https://m.imgur.com/a/GXLI7vq

here’s a pic of mine that arrived today.  To me it looks pretty much exactly like the mockup.  Is this like what you guys received?

Basically, yeah.  Maybe a couple additional layers or swirls.  The mockup seemed to be just 1 centered blob though, no?

Protomartyr_UST_mockups_MART.jpg

• 2 months later...

Ultimate Success Today should be getting a new red press soon, probably for the LRSD event, to be released next month. 

Edit: might actually be extra copies of the red/blue press, but think it’ll be a new one. Similarly other Domino artists like Georgia and Shirley Collins are getting special LRSD releases.

Edited by HeartSwells