Coronavirus COVID-19 Social Distancing Self-Quarantine Discussion Thread

6 hours ago, diabretic said:

Just got the word from my job that they are terminating my position in 3 weeks, so that on top of Covid means 2020 sucks farts.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

So sorry to hear, bud. I hope & wish you the best. Let us know here if anything can be done to help you in any way.

16 hours ago, jhulud said:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

So sorry to hear, bud. I hope & wish you the best. Let us know here if anything can be done to help you in any way.

I really appreciate that! I will figure it out, I always have. It is what it is, so many people out there are out of work without a 3 week notice so I will make the best of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Work's been dry for months here and anything that was in the pipeline just vanished understandably, so really am out of the job and broke. But I'm not going to let that get me down! I've made a video with comedian/actor Matt Lucas to help raise awareness for the Feed NHS campaign here in the UK.  It's a silly song from, like, a 90s TV show and Matt asked me to put some visuals to it and a few sleepless nights later and we just released it a few hours ago. You don't have to donate, just hope it can bring some joy.

Stay healthy.

1 hour ago, Han Solo said:

I can't believe the guy from Fountain of Wayne passed away. That suuuuccckkks. Stacy's Mom is not supposed to be a sad song

I was super bummed as a Crazy Ex-Girlfriend fan. Rachel  Bloom had her first child the same day he died and I can't imagine how she feels. For those that don't know he also wrote this hit:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Tommy said:

“What it has done differently is it has very much relied on its relationship with its citizenry and the ability and willingness of its citizens to implement self-distancing and self-regulate,” Ryan said. “In that sense, they have implemented public policy through that partnership with the population.”

yeah that would never work in the US though. 

22 hours ago, museummouth said:

“What it has done differently is it has very much relied on its relationship with its citizenry and the ability and willingness of its citizens to implement self-distancing and self-regulate,” Ryan said. “In that sense, they have implemented public policy through that partnership with the population.”

yeah that would never work in the US though. 

Exactly. Most people couldn’t even do what they were asked to do let alone anything on their own. 

just look at every park every time the weather was nice the last 2 months. 

Also, statistically it didn’t really work either so not a great example. 

Edited by Tidal Wave

People are acting a fool here in FL. My county, Palm Beach, and two others are not part of the first phase of the state’s reopening process. And of course people are uppity & doing their bullshit protests and whatnot. 

And now we have all the idiots pushing that unfounded doc Plandemic. 

I hate people. 

13 hours ago, jhulud said:

People are acting a fool here in FL. My county, Palm Beach, and two others are not part of the first phase of the state’s reopening process. And of course people are uppity & doing their bullshit protests and whatnot. 

And now we have all the idiots pushing that unfounded doc Plandemic. 

I hate people. 

The protests have been mind blowing 

I don't know how it is in states outside my own but I know people here in the more rural areas of SoCal are starting to struggle financially. Our governor is treating every community like it's LA/SF, and in a town like mine that has a much smaller population than either of those that is hurting a lot of people. I only know of 1 business here that actually got SBA assistance and maybe 2 people who were furloughed that got unemployment, everyone else applied and never got a response and that $1200 has already been spent on living expenses. In a community like mine where most of us minorities work in the service industry or are independent business owners and contractors this is taking a huge toll on them. The folks who are here without documentation and didn't qualify for the stimulus are REALLY hurting right now. 

LA here. A few places opened back up yesterday and swear to Christ traffic came back with a vengeance. I didn't go outside but I live across from the 10 fwy and there were more cars out yesterday than in the past 2 months. Also, I got my test results back and negative woo!

Sorry, y'all. I live by myself and communicating with people isn't one of my strongest qualities but I'm trying.

I got let go about a month ago now. Work(ed) at a music school and you can figure out how that is effected by all this. Been trying to find a routine to fill the gap. I’m exercising, playing video games, getting back into skateboarding. Trying to make the best of this situation. Not complaining as I could be far worse off, but kinda bad timing considering I just moved into a new apartment by work. Oh well. At least my new couch finally came in after 2 months and I can chill on that while I listen to records. Hope everyone is staying healthy! 

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I had our first child in March and we're on paid family medical leave until the middle of next month (so 12 weeks off).  This new program started in Washington State in January and although my wife still hasn't received her first check (applications were delayed for some by 12 weeks) we're very thankful to have this time off to bond with our child and it's kinda perfect since we're stuck inside anyway during this quarantine.  As an essential worker, I'm also glad I haven't had to deal with all of this COVID stuff for the past 9 weeks. I did work in February and half of March but I'm thankful I didn't get sick. I've heard of other co-workers getting COVID and now all workers within the company have to wear masks and gloves (I'm a Produce Manager at a local grocery store) while working. My wife works as a marketer at a senior living facility, so her job has also been greatly affected.  Our county in WA slowly started opening up some closed businesses a couple of weeks ago but it looks like restaurants , bars, barbershops etc still won't be fully opened even at half capacity until possibly July. It's a strange time for sure, my wife is having a hard time since we aren't able to see friends and family or have them give us a break with our newborn. I'm still thankful we both have jobs and our family so far hasn't been affected by the many deaths related to COVID.

Edited by morfiend

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Reshiram said:

From quarantine to protesting, it feels like the world is falling apart, at least here in the US.

Super unfortunate combination, too.  I’m hearing and seeing a lot of people wearing masks – N95 or outright gas masks – but so many have homemade ones, or nothing at all.  Considering the density of bodies in one space and the amount of winded breathing, the viral load is going to be gruesome in some of the bigger cities and hotspots.

I completely understand why we need to be furious and appalled, and that things need to change.  But for those riots and protests that are torching down small businesses just now floundering to open back up... just bad news all around, for all parties.

2 hours ago, Tommy said:

....And just like that, coronavirus was over

We got bored because symptoms and cases tapered off in a lot of areas across the nation.  Considering that it takes 2 weeks to begin showing symptoms and effects of COVID, I’m sure it’ll be flavor of the week again, mid June.

Edited by Derek™

Oh yeah, the nation is already burnt out and restless with the amount of self-isolation we’ve had to do.  Providing a glimmer of hope or normalcy and then stripping it away is not going to sit well with the majority.  (Though, last I heard from polls, an overwhelming majority of the country feels like it’s too early to open the doors to all businesses at the moment, anyway.)  But you’re right — no way businesses are going to play the on-off-on-off game.

3 hours ago, Tommy said:

They’re gonna have a hell of a time trying to get businesses to shut down a 2nd time. Not gonna happen

Except it already did happen. 

illinois besides Chicago opened up outside dining on Saturday only to be closed back up by Saturday night due to riots. 

Edited by Tidal Wave

31 minutes ago, GradedOnACurve said:

Now the George Floyd video surfaced and people have a right to be upset. So they're going to be out in the streets because that shit gotta stop.

Not arguing that we should remain idle or hold off on solutions until the pandemic is over, but I suspect we’ll be getting some extra mileage out of the #icantbreathe tag later this month.