Coronavirus COVID-19 Social Distancing Self-Quarantine Discussion Thread

I hung in here in Brooklyn throughout the worst of this and everything. Still fortunate only 1 family member I know of got COVID and beat it after a short hospital stay. I did the remote teaching for several months and as much as it sucked it was the right thing to do.

Just took a 10 day camping trip throughout Vermont and New York (Adirondack Mountains/North Country) and had a blast. It got my mind off of all the social media and news craziness.

Now I come back and I'm facing the prospect of gearing up for a teachers strike. If our mayor (who EVERYONE hates now) forces teachers back into the classroom here in our decrepit buildings, I will 100% support a strike. I never thought I may have to be part of one potentially, but here we are. I never hated someone I voted for so much. Thanks deBlasio.

Edited by GradedOnACurve

Really haven't been doing too great either. I'm grateful to still have a job, but working from home and being surrounded by 4 other family members 24/7 is driving me insane. There's so much tension in the world right now, people don't even need a reason to start shit. It seems like every day someone in my family blows up and creates a huge argument. I haven't enjoyed being in this much of a negative environment but I know I'm in a better situation than a lot of other people. I definitely need to get out for a few days, but I don't want to risk getting infected or be one of "those" people who are out living their best lives like nothing is happening.

Edited by illkeepyouinmind

Same old shit out here in the high desert. Wife's business is still getting bufu'd, I'm still going to work every day but the company laid off 75+ employees so on average my work load is 5x more what it should it. CA is still on fire. Kids are all still on FaceTime learning. At least it's finally going to cool down a bit, so I won't be troubleshooting high voltage circuits in 115° heat all day, it'll be a crisp cool 97° on average so that's nice 👎

On 8/28/2020 at 6:36 PM, illkeepyouinmind said:

Really haven't been doing too great either. I'm grateful to still have a job, but working from home and being surrounded by 4 other family members 24/7 is driving me insane. There's so much tension in the world right now, people don't even need a reason to start shit. It seems like every day someone in my family blows up and creates a huge argument. I haven't enjoyed being in this much of a negative environment but I know I'm in a better situation than a lot of other people. I definitely need to get out for a few days, but I don't want to risk getting infected or be one of "those" people who are out living their best lives like nothing is happening.

Dude same here. I’m even getting pissed at my dogs for no reason just because the cramped environment 

I work daily in an office but glad to be employed. I've listed nearly 400 records on Discogs in the past couple months because I have no record shows to sell at on the weekends. That's been nice.  Even though I'm isolated, I don't mind it. I like it to some extent. Met a friend for dinner last week and ate outside. First time I ate at a restaurant since March.

My son's mother and I were planning a joint move to Dallas this year but the pandemic fucked up my job prospects. She's a teacher so she got a job within 3 weeks of applying. So she went ahead and took my kid, which is the only real positive force in my life. I was mad but would had to take her to court to enforce our verbal time split. I've been quite depressed for the past month since he's been gone now. And the pressure of trying to find a similar job in another state I'm unfamiliar with is proving difficult and exacerbating my anxiety. But I'm determined because I feel like a failure as a father if I don't get there soon.

Edited by somethingvinyl

So my union negotiated a shit deal last week and NYC blended learning kids are able to come back into the buildings on Sept 21st instead of Sept 10th. Doesn't change the fact that most of the school buildings in NYC are 50+ years old with no central HVAC systems and poor ventilation. So we "voted not to strike" and approved the deal so I have to report to my building tomorrow to prepare. I usually teach in a cinder block room that's more of a storage room with windows rather than an actual classroom. Also good luck to us getting these varying autistic kids to wear and keep on their masks. Thankful I have a good paying job and will most likely avoid any layoff by NYC but spending $400 on your own PPE and filtration system is no fun. Also when the kids come back I will be dressed in medical scrubs, a KN95 Mask filter system, and a face shield. Can't stand my union head and the mayor.

• 1 month later...

Damn. It's been over a month since any last check-in. 

How's everyone doing so far? Hopefully getting some adjustment to this new normal and stressing out over the elections. 

We voted early this past week here in FL. Was pretty smooth. We got to the voting location at 7am on the dot and were home by 8:30am or so. 

At work, we were initially expecting to head back into the offices by beginning of January. We just got word that it's been pushed back further out to potentially March/April next year. In a way I'm kinda relieved as it may mean not going back to my previous position anytime soon. But I'm also a bit over working from home and being around my family still 24/7. At least my brother has been able to get his old job back so he's working again...part-time but still a job. 

And of course I've been buying way too much shit I don't need. Too many records coming in that I'm finding not much time to listen to. 

Been working a little bit, the live entertainment industry really doesn't know how to handle this. I've been private contracting at my former work (concert venue) and we've been doing film shoots and today we're doing a filmed concert. One gig was overkill where we had to have N95 face masks and face shields and it made working difficult. Another event had a crew where everyone was too lax and not wearing masks to which my boss and I made them at least do that. Fortunately most crews my work have taken are in the middle, everyone wearing masks, keeping their distance when necessary, elbow bumps instead of hand shakes, etc. I'm not sure how the industry is gonna survive this financially since we were the first to close up and will be the last to open up. My boss told us yesterday he might get furloughed meaning I'll be back to no work again, but I'll make due, I kinda wanna change industries, I could easily go to film but I wouldn't mind leaving the entertainment biz, real stressful at times and when lockdown happened it felt like it was all for nothing.

Also, I'm very curious to see how California handles this election.

1 hour ago, jhulud said:

We voted early this past week here in FL. Was pretty smooth. We got to the voting location at 7am on the dot and were home by 8:30am or so. 

Glad you had an easy time of it, we ended up doing mail ballots and dropping them off at the elections office. 

I've not posted in here yet, and I thought I was doing well but it's getting rough. I love working from home, and thankfully have gobs of job security through seniority, but I'm really starting to hate the company I work for; fortunately working remote leaves plenty of time for job hunting in the dried up South Florida job market.

Also my wife and I are starting to go nuts/get at each others throats bad, having a baby at the beginning of this whole thing probably didn't help but it's not like we could have predicted that. 

Went back through discogs, I've bought 40 records since March when my office closed, and who knows how many action figures. 

I really just wish Florida would get it's act together, but that's not going to happen then the governor is a human centipede to the president. 

Edited by Corgipants

Checking in from Toronto. Feeling pretty similar to a lot of you. I'm getting by, and that feels like all I'm doing.

My wife and I have been working from home since March. My hours (more like pay, because I'm working more than ever) got cut but my wife is still full time. We had the kids home with us from March till late August. It was difficult and drove us nuts but at least I felt like we were in control of the situation. They're back at in-person school, at least for now.

We're in a bad second wave here and I'm second guessing the decision to have the boys in school. Masks are mandatory and we do mandatory health screening every morning before sending them out. So far there have been no cases at their school and school outbreaks in general have been very rare here. We try to do our part to stay safe but I have concerns about others not following the rules.

I felt so much fear and anxiety in the first wave during the spring shutdown. The situation seemed under control for most of the summer. In this second wave I feel like no one is taking it nearly as seriously, including the government. I realize they can't pay people to stay home forever and I'm in a fortunate position to have a job I can do from home but I feel like the numbers get worse and worse every day without any kind of intervention. It's depressing and feels like all the progress made in the first shutdown was lost.

Work is ok but it kinda feels like groundhog day, never really leaving the house. Every day is the same goddamn thing. I went through a rough time last fall/winter and I'm not really happy with my job. I was trying to find something else before covid but now I feel like other options have disappeared.

I'm trying to focus on my family, records, movies and playing guitar to stay happy but some days it's hard.

I haven't worked since March. (Pre-covid) I've been riding a rickshaw/pedicab as my sole means of income for a few years now, and since there's zero concerts/sporting events I've been without work. Some other people have been riding but have claimed it hasn't been worth the effort. Fortunately my rent/cost of living is pretty low and I've been able to save some money while still funding my vinyl habits. (no, I don't live with my parent's). 

I'm assuming like most people in the U.S. I've been dealing with heap-loads of stress, anxiety and existential dread for the future to come. God damn, everything is terrible

16 hours ago, Subdomestic said:

Work is ok but it kinda feels like groundhog day, never really leaving the house. Every day is the same goddamn thing. I went through a rough time last fall/winter and I'm not really happy with my job. I was trying to find something else before covid but now I feel like other options have disappeared.

The remote location filter on linkedin is your friend, I'm finding tons of good opportunities there; just not getting any callbacks. 

The time has come for me. Only found this thread because I returned to the forum preparing to post the dreaded full collection sale list. I have a pretty decent paying job that's kept me paid throughout the pandemic, but between my dumb fucking ex roommate posting his bank account information on craigslist during some COVID scam and getting cleaned out forcing him to move out, to my own fears about rent, not dissuading me enough from making some poor financial decisions anyway, my credit card debt has doubled and I'm scared I'm nearing financial ruin. I have no partner, so no one to have my back, emotionally or financially. Sick and tired of the fucking completely insane, inept circus I helped create by voting this administration in 2016. Feeling so alone with no one having my back, even the majority of my online friends have stopped playing our game, leaving me solo queuing once again. I was looking forward to the open enrollment of healthcare at my job so I could look into some depression / ADHD meds and the lowest income is $70 a fucking week! There's another issue, the goddamn price gouging by corporate healthcare. Between the rich in this country controlling everything and people like all of us suffering, this country has never felt closer to total collapse. I just wish someone could hold me as I fall asleep tonight. I don't know if I've ever felt more alone in my entire life.

Stay tuned for the sale thread, boys.

Edited by biodigitaljazz

So we're about a month and a half into the school year here in NYC. A report recently came out that only 25% of NYC Students have actually showed up for in person learning. I have almost a full class, but since they're special needs kids, I only have 5 out of 6 possible. With severely disabled kids, they are impossible to maintain social distance from. Needless to say if one of them gets it, I'm getting it.

We do one week in, one week remote. Thankfully since the beginning of October I could do remote from home. This year has been depressing. The school and schools overall feel like a ghost town. Positivity rates are climbing back here in  NYC (as they are in many places) and I'm trying to get my last days in with weather where its feasible to be outside for an extended period of time. I did some hiking a trail climbing during the summer/fall, and it was one of the few things that kept me sane.

Now the holidays are coming up, and my Dad asked me if we could do Thanksgiving including my 81 year old Aunt who is high risk. It sucks but I feel like with the holidays this year by time they actually roll around the right and responsible thing may be just to spend it with my wife and no other family since either they are at risk or reckless about their exposure to other people.

Honestly, I have a bad feeling this round 2 is going to be worse on multiple levels than round 1. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm checking in from Colorado. I'm glad i have a job and insurance. The #'s have been rising, but it hasn't been substantial like other states. My buddy, told me my life has been training me for this moment because i'm naturally a hermit, so nothing in my life has changed except that i can't go to shows. Nothing more. I don't go out, i don't have friends here, so it's been basically business as usual. Sounds sad, but i am not angry, i am not upset, i'm just kinda "Meh".  So my daily experience is wake up, go to work, come home, watch tv or listen to music for a bit, and then go to bed early.  hopefully the positive numbers start dropping since they are doing mandatory shut in's again.

What i find hilarious is a lot of people complaining about how people are gathering and not wearing face masks, but will go to the bar regularly,  have get togethers,  and share joints.  The hypocrisy is fucking astonishing. 

On 11/7/2020 at 9:10 AM, controlthebleeding said:

What i find hilarious is a lot of people complaining about how people are gathering and not wearing face masks, but will go to the bar regularly,  have get togethers,  and share joints.  The hypocrisy is fucking astonishing. 

This. We'll see how much longer CNN keeps running their death toll ticker now that the election is over

5 hours ago, GradedOnACurve said:

NYC schools are likely to go full remote on Monday. Positivity rate is almost 3%, which is the threshold that the mayor agreed with out union to go remote.

Is that the positivity rate within the school system or city-wide? Are there many cases within schools?

In Washington state, we got our restrictions tightened up quite a bit this morning.  Shops and grocery stores are limited to 25% capacity and pretty much everything else is closed.  Restaurants and bars are allowed to do outdoor service, but the weather it shitty right now, so that's not a totally viable option for a lot of places.  Supposed to be like this for at least 4 more weeks and I'd imagine it'll probably be longer.

Doesn't change my day-to-day much, but it's still a bit tough knowing that we're pretty much back to where we were in March.

A bit of good news is that one of our local breweries managed to raise 400k for restaurant and bar staff.  Cool to see something like that happen.

16 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

In Washington state, we got our restrictions tightened up quite a bit this morning.  Shops and grocery stores are limited to 25% capacity and pretty much everything else is closed.  Restaurants and bars are allowed to do outdoor service, but the weather it shitty right now, so that's not a totally viable option for a lot of places. 

This disheartens me so much to hear, where I work in a Home Depot like store that’s planning giant Black Friday doorbusters, that will fire you if you call off on Black Friday, and  that’s got NO capacity restrictions except for a weak barely enforced mask policy. Fucking sucks living in Donald Trump country. Good to hear some states are actually being responsible, though.