Coronavirus COVID-19 Social Distancing Self-Quarantine Discussion Thread

Just now, N8TRU said:

Delaware has broken the record number of 'new cases for a single day' multiple times in the last month. That probably says enough for how things are going. I'm signed up to get the vaccine ASAP through my work and hopefully I'll be picked to receive my first shot this month.

• 2 weeks later...

Weekend check-in for everyone. 

How are y'all doing and holding up.

I'm still struggling. It's not helping that we're now deep into holiday season and all. With all the pandemic and post-election drama, the household depression is sinking us and I'm essentially carrying the weight of the family to have a semblance of holiday cheer. 

Not to mention that my father is going through a potential second cancer-scare. They found some concerning masses in one of his lungs. A biopsy was done and he's going to meet with the doctor on Monday for the results and discussion on what it all may be. 

Needless to say, everyone's attitude at home is on edge and snapping at each other and getting triggered at every little thing. 

I really hope things work out ok for your father and the rest of your family, jhulud. This is not the year or the time of year to be going through a health scare. Sending positive thoughts your way.

I say that as my father-in-law passed away last Tuesday.  Underlying health conditions got to him but his passing was sudden and unexpected. It was not Covid related.

My wife is off to be with her immediate family and my marching orders were to stay home with the kids and keep the household running. With Covid putting attendance caps on funeral services and our own risk factors with the kids being in school, I understand that it's best to stay put. It's still breaking my heart to not be there to help and pay my respects in person.

I'm also having some trouble as we head into the holidays. At first I was relieved that my family was postponing any gatherings and excited that for once we finally don't have to travel. Now the sadness is setting in that we aren't going to see anyone. Again, I know this is for the best but everything is feeling like such a grind these days.

We're holding it in there, I've never been a huge holiday person so they don't have too much of an effect one me but we did go a little over the opt this year with lights on the house and such, because what the fuck else is there to do (also the baby seems to appreciate it in her mumbles). 

It's still sounding like the return to office is set for July, but I'm really starting to hate the company I'm working for, so I've began the process of job hunting for something full time remote, so we'll see what happens. 

i had covid at the end of July along with my brother and dad. brother brought it in from a girl he was seeing. low fever and light headaches. then taste/smell gone after about 4 days or so. lasted for maybe another 4 days. after that the fever went away and headaches as well. smell and taste came back. still quarantined for another 2 weeks. brother bad a cough and dad was fatigued at times. since then it's been good. some counties nearby have issued a curfew once again. for the most part everything is still ok in my city and nearby cities. always got my sanitizer and gloves just in case i go looking for comics. hopefully everyone is safe(we haven't lost anyone or any of their family members/friends)

So according to NYC Test + Trace, everyone a my school site is supposed to quarantine because we were exposed to a therapist who met with everyone and later tested positive. This is why my union had to fight harder to stay remote in the first place, to avoid shit like this. I got tested yesterday and expect negative results as my exposure was limited, and I wear a respirator mask and shield at work. Ridiculous that we opened back up in the first place.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2021 at 8:09 PM, Tommy said:

Guys! Guys! It's safe to come out now

Personally, whether or not I like someone in power I won't shoot myself in the foot and play contrarian when they are for something that benefits my life after I've been advocating for it. Consider it a happy accident your vote didn't count against something you want like you hoped it would lmao

Oh thank God, what a hero!

That first paragraph is something else 🤣

"The COVID-19 pandemic has forced the United States economy into an economic crisis. Across the country, more than 10 million Americans are unemployed, 14 million renters are behind on payments, and 29 million adults – and at least 8 million children – are struggling with food insecurity. Because of pervasive systemic racism and inequality in our economy, the burdens of this economic crisis are hitting communities of color and other underserved families hardest."

Shutdown (52 weeks to flatten the curve) and constant fearmongering  was definitely the way to go for losing 400K people over the age of 65.

Also, America is still racist

Edited by Tommy

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Corgipants said:

Good news update. Accepted an offer for a full time remote position with a fast growing startup, formalized my exit of big corporate just a few minutes ago. Can't wait to be back in an agile organization. 

Nice dude. Congrats! I only miss working remotely in order to avoid COVID exposure. Lucky so far on my part.

Anyone else here receive/eligible for the vaccine yet? I got my first shot last Tuesday, but initially getting the appointment here in NYC was insane. My assistant principal shared with me a portal for only NYC workers and it was the only way I got a shot. Inside an NYC government building with armed security. Wild times.

6 minutes ago, GradedOnACurve said:

Nice dude. Congrats! I only miss working remotely in order to avoid COVID exposure. Lucky so far on my part.

Anyone else here receive/eligible for the vaccine yet? I got my first shot last Tuesday, but initially getting the appointment here in NYC was insane. My assistant principal shared with me a portal for only NYC workers and it was the only way I got a shot. Inside an NYC government building with armed security. Wild times.

Thanks! I worked remote for years before my current position, I think it grants alot of flexibility; also since my wife works from home and we've got an infant that's a blessing in disguise. 

Florida has totally fucked vaccine distribution, so at this rate I may get it in a year or two lol.  

Yeah I've heard horror stories about Florida. I have a bunch of relatives that live there, but I only really consistently talk to my grandfather. Last I spoke with him it was damn near impossible to get a vaccine in that free for all system. I gotta talk to him soon, but it's wild everywhere.

1 hour ago, GradedOnACurve said:

Anyone else here receive/eligible for the vaccine yet?

I missed out on it last week because they didn't have enough doses and I've put in a request 3 times to get it. Meanwhile almost all of my coworkers got their first dose. I was hoping I'd be contacted about getting it tomorrow, but they haven't bothered to say a thing to me. DE is sitting at about 9% vaccinated, less than 100,000 people.

Edited by N8TRU

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/11/us/politics/biden-coronavirus-vaccines.html

Yes, Biden is definitely the one killing all those people and not doing a single thing or warning anyone and he's totally unaware of how bad the transition was that put him in this place. /s. Stop trolling and name blaming dude. He couldn't be more transparent about his efforts.

On 4/4/2018 at 12:51 PM, Tommy said:

So I poked through this kids instagram out of curiosity. Many may disagree here, but I kinda feel like this wasn't a troll account and this kid is really who he is, a kid with zero self awareness in the public space

https://www.instagram.com/gatorpridesonnn/

On 4/4/2018 at 1:21 PM, Tommy said:

Nah man. I really think he’s just off, and feels some sense of sick community here. Like I said I’m not 100% certain but I’m def leaving towards that fact he’s really got something wrong with him. I mean, he is from Mississippi...

got really random shit dating back to last year on there. I’ve seen grown men play with Pokémon cards on YouTube so the minions don’t strike me as odd

11 hours ago, Shitty Rambo said:

Sir, I believe he is being facetious.

Tommy has always been gullible and stupid. It seems like the perfect combo to fake troll under because one doesn't want to look like a crybaby to me.

On 2/14/2021 at 5:37 AM, Shelby American said:

Tommy has always been gullible and stupid. It seems like the perfect combo to fake troll under because one doesn't want to look like a crybaby to me.

4898527.jpg

Most of my posts about left politics are just to point out hypocrisy since they are immune (that's sarcasm right there @N8TRU)

For @Shelby American, a very typical response from the left to call someone ignorant and stupid for pointing out hypocrisy when it shows itself. The point of my post above was just poking fun at the people who for months (and still do) blame Covid deaths on the president of the United States. Just pointing out how silly that is. If you do that for one, you should do that for all, but that is not the case.

Its also a very dumb argument and I do not for one second believe Biden is to blame for a single death of a virus that can be transmitted regardless of mask wearing and will likely be with us forever.

Edited by Tommy