Coronavirus COVID-19 Social Distancing Self-Quarantine Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, Tommy said:

4898527.jpg

Most of my posts about left politics are just to point out hypocrisy since they are immune (that's sarcasm right there @N8TRU)

For @Shelby American, a very typical response from the left to call someone ignorant and stupid for pointing out hypocrisy when it shows itself. The point of my post above was just poking fun at the people who for months (and still do) blame Covid deaths on the president of the United States. Just pointing out how silly that is. If you do that for one, you should do that for all, but that is not the case.

Its also a very dumb argument and I do not for one second believe Biden is to blame for a single death of a virus that can be transmitted regardless of mask wearing and will likely be with us forever.

Our point is you are clearly a partisan troll and you don't get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to stupidity. To say I'm coming at you from the left for instance is also stupid because I dislike Biden about as much as I dislike Trump. Joking about deaths keeps you looking like another retarded Trumpet and I seriously doubt you think the election was fair.

It's a dumb argument that Biden is at fault, it's even dumber to say Trump isn't.

lmao fuck this one went off the rails fast.

Repeating talking points or accusations verbatim with the inference of satire / pointing out hypocrisy doesn't directly relate to understanding any subtext present. It also opens the possibility for anyone spewing ignorant rhetoric or "alternative facts" and passing them off as verifiable to immediately pivot 180 degrees at any point they get challenged or called out and claim "It was just a joke, bro! I was still right all along!"

Also, any time anyone identifying as middle or right in our spectrum uses childish Trumpian name calling like the phrase "the loony left" or "the radical left" to otherize and attempt to demean their political opponents and fellow Americans, they instantly lose any and all credibility they may have possessed only moments before. Some clowns in this thread need to stop chugging the "r/iamverysmart" juice and try to meet people in the real middle, instead of taking steps backwards and claiming they're actually moving forwards.

Edited by biodigitaljazz

Ehhh I've had enough conversation with you (and the like) over the past decade to know your unwavering opinions. It's just more fun to troll and poke fun at hypocrisy at this point

Also, while I don't agree with most of your viewpoints (any many on here in VC) I don't think you'll ever hear me call you dumb or question your intelligence directly.

3 hours ago, Tommy said:

Ehhh I've had enough conversation with you (and the like) over the past decade to know your unwavering opinions. It's just more fun to troll and poke fun at hypocrisy at this point

Also, while I don't agree with most of your viewpoints (any many on here in VC) I don't think you'll ever hear me call you dumb or question your intelligence directly.

The fact that you think its fun to troll something like people dying is enough to dispell any holy feeling you have over not calling anyone names. Sorry snowflake.

Do you think the election was fraudulent? 

You're dumb if you do 😉

On 2/15/2021 at 12:40 PM, Tommy said:

It's just more fun to troll and poke fun at hypocrisy at this point

later

I don't think you'll ever hear me call you dumb or question your intelligence directly.

Lmao, there it is. The line is very small, but you're not fooling anyone here. Statements like "I just poke fun at [your] hypocrisy and your unwavering opinions" serve to imply you're smarter than whoever you're speaking about by association: "I don't participate, I just laugh at everyone else from the outside." 

The implication "I can change my opinions but no one else I speak to can" is equally patronizing; even when anyone looking at your posts can see you're starting to get sucked into these antics despite your mental gymnastics, so here you go"

"constant fearmongering"

later

The point of my post above was just poking fun at the people who for months (and still do) blame Covid deaths on the president of the United States. Just pointing out how silly that is. If you do that for one, you should do that for all, but that is not the case.

Its also a very dumb argument and I do not for one second believe Biden is to blame for a single death of a virus that can be transmitted regardless of mask wearing and will likely be with us forever.

You can't have your fucking cake and eat it, too. Donald Trump using the fact that "Dr. Fauci said early on don't wear masks" is an implication that masks do not help, not that "We were trying to preserve PPE for healthcare workers." Someone saying publicly at the start of a brand new pandemic that they do not know everything about it, so people should try and play things safely is "Constant fearmongering?" Give me a fucking break. You snowflake bro?

16 hours ago, biodigitaljazz said:

Someone saying publicly at the start of a brand new pandemic that they do not know everything about it, so people should try and play things safely is "Constant fearmongering?"

Yeah I was fine with that, as I think we all were, and played it cautiously. Now going on 52 weeks to flatten the curve, I am not ok with. Life has to go on at some point and this virus will never fully be eliminated.

Covid cases have dropped 340% in the US since January 20th. I guess an actual sensible plan to administer the vaccine and work with scientists does wonders instead of threatening states by dangling it in front of them with a false sense of being part of the development process. 

Instead our wonderful savior passed on the option to purchase 500million vaccine doses last July because 100 million is definitely enough right? Wrong so he signed a hilarious executive order in December telling companies AMERICANS FIRST PLEASE!! which did absolutely nothing but damn he's trying for us right? Hell yeah brother America 🇺🇸

7 hours ago, Tommy said:

Yeah I was fine with that.. Now going on 52 weeks to flatten the curve, I am not ok with. 

Tell the 7,000 redneck pieces of shit who are still walking around proudly displaying their Trump gear, and STILL refusing to wear masks to "Own the libs" in FEBRUARY 2021. Had a guy in a Trump hat brandish a gun and start yelling about ni**ers in my store the other day when asked to put on a mask or be asked to leave. 

This could have been over by now. Instead we had a President who didn't give a goddamn about UNITING the American people around the cause of wearing masks and reducing cases, etc. 

Fucking yawn. Join the rest of us in the 21st century or get the fuck out.

Edited by biodigitaljazz

4 hours ago, Tommy said:

If we had 100% lockdown and 100% mask compliance for 6 straight months? Highly doubt that even still. 

Maybe, but looking like this vs a third world country like India with a billion people in it is embarrassing. Y'all are literally that kid in the group project who fucks everyone else over by not doing anything. You can't argue with this and you think you're right because you only watch half the news

Screenshot-20210217-233058-Chrome.jpg

Screenshot-20210217-233131-Chrome.jpg

This ratio is far worse months ago before you start your "fake" argument that it's stupid to blame presidents who fan the flames of mental retardation in the US.

Edited by Your Ex-Wife

On 2/17/2021 at 5:50 PM, Tommy said:

If we had 100% lockdown and 100% mask compliance for 6 straight months? Highly doubt that even still. 

Australia 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/australia/

"It's just been very painful to watch what has happened in the U.S.," McVernon tells CBS News. "It's just so sad… to think that this may have been preventable."

Edited by Tidal Wave

34 minutes ago, Tidal Wave said:

Australia 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/australia/

"It's just been very painful to watch what has happened in the U.S.," McVernon tells CBS News. "It's just so sad… to think that this may have been preventable."

More than any other country, we’re all just entitled pieces of shit.  Silly quarantine rules apply to everyone except us.  We know we may be jeopardizing the lives of elderly or people with weaker immune systems... but it was a long work week and this house party is gonna’ happen one way or another.

11 hours ago, Derek™ said:

More than any other country, we’re all just entitled pieces of shit.  Silly quarantine rules apply to everyone except us.  We know we may be jeopardizing the lives of elderly or people with weaker immune systems... but it was a long work week and this house party is gonna’ happen one way or another.

It's really this above all else. If any of you have seen Louis C.K.s stand-up about not being able to miss your turn despite a great chance you'll cause someone to fucking die because you don't want to drive a block further and make a u-turn this is basically the same shit. Except now there's a conspiracy theory that they're making you miss your turn lol.

• 1 month later...

Because I never worked from home and was essential the whole time, I was offered the Moderna two shot vaccine back in January and February through work. First shot of Moderna was fine, no real symptoms except my arm hurt at point of contact. Second shot, though, I had symptoms 18-20 hours afterward. I called out of work. Had chills, was achy, feverish and fatigued. Only really lasted the day, but I was still a little lethargic the second day too. Overall, no complaints.

Edited by somethingvinyl

7 hours ago, somethingvinyl said:

Because I never worked from home and was essential the whole time, I was offered the Moderna two shot vaccine back in January and February through work. First shot of Moderna was fine, no real symptoms except my arm hurt at point of contact. Second shot, though, I had symptoms 18-20 hours afterward. I called out of work. Had chills, was achy, feverish and fatigued. Only really lasted the day, but I was still a little lethargic the second day too. Overall, no complaints.

It's funny you mentioned that because I got my second dose of Moderna yesterday. The symptoms personally were much worse than I expected. I was burning up in the night with a high fever. My body felt cold but I was actually very hot and I couldn't stop shaking for over an hour. Today I feel  like I've been wacked with a frying pan on my head and arm. I thought I'd be fine working from home but I called out. But it's probably better than getting COVID.

9 hours ago, somethingvinyl said:

I won't get the second round for a few weeks, but the first one my arm was basically useless for about a day .

On 3/26/2021 at 6:30 AM, N8TRU said:

It's funny you mentioned that because I got my second dose of Moderna yesterday. The symptoms personally were much worse than I expected. I was burning up in the night with a high fever. My body felt cold but I was actually very hot and I couldn't stop shaking for over an hour. Today I feel  like I've been wacked with a frying pan on my head and arm. I thought I'd be fine working from home but I called out. But it's probably better than getting COVID.

Yeah, because the first dose wasn't really anything, I sort of expected to be unfazed by the second one. Haha, I called out of work because I knew I could use a sick day with little consequence. But it hit. God. No joke. But yes better than COVID.

Got the 2nd Pfizer 3-4 days ago.

Next day, I was exhausted with full body aches, woozy, and had trouble focusing on any task that wasn't sitting down and closing my eyes.

Most of it is gone now but I still have swollen lymph nodes on my neck that are irritating my throat/ear and giving me mild aches there. Arm pit lymph node is also swollen and sore still, taking a lot of mental focus for me to not engage my OCD and poke it incessantly.

No fever, unless it was very mild and I slept through it the first night.

The vaccination roll out in Canada is a fucking embarrassment and I am so frustrated with how things are unfolding here. I keep rolling back and forth between apathy and rage.

Toronto has been in lockdown since November,  in some form or another.  We are heading into a steep third wave and the flip flopping on what's open is driving me nuts. Schools are closed again however my kids have already been home for almost two weeks after a positive case in one of their classrooms. We've all been tested and are all negative.

I understand the need to keep schools closed to control community spread and protect teachers. I get it. And I say that as someone who is trying to work from home with two crazy young kids running around. I am just frustrated at how haphazardly it's being done. Our lives can't change on a daily basis with the flip of a switch. The shut down notice came 1 day after we were told how amazingly safe the school system is. I should be used to politicians lying and bending the truth but it's still disappointing when it becomes crystal clear that they just don't give a shit about regular citizens.

On the plus side, my elderly grandmother and my brother (front line worker)  have finally got their shots. My parents are eligible to make their appointments as of today.

I am very jealous of the US doing 4M+ vaccinations a day. At least going back to being jealous of the US brings back some familiarity and normality. Congrats on finding your way out of this one guys.

Edited by Subdomestic