Frank Ocean - Blond: Pressing Query (pun intended)

Hey y'all, I'm hoping one of you more experienced Frank collectors can help me out with the copy of Blond I just received. 

Bought it off of eBay so it's anyone's guess how legit something is, but I didn't really care what pressing it was I just want it to listen. The press I received has one black record (A/B) and one translucent pink record (C/D). I most assuredly know it's not legit (so bootleg) after opening but I am wondering if others have received similar color combos? Or maybe someone can just help me identify if this is some BS half/half mix of pressings.

Note: Seller immediately refunded me the full value without question - they definitely knew it was bogus and just headed off a deeper inquiry.

lilsvinyls on eBay if anyone sees them around - maybe a fluke but I wanted to share.

3 minutes ago, bluethumb said:

Hey y'all, I'm hoping one of you more experienced Frank collectors can help me out with the copy of Blond I just received. 

Bought it off of eBay so it's anyone's guess how legit something is, but I didn't really care what pressing it was I just want it to listen. The press I received has one black record (A/B) and one translucent pink record (C/D). I most assuredly know it's not legit (so bootleg) after opening but I am wondering if others have received similar color combos? Or maybe someone can just help me identify if this is some BS half/half mix of pressings.

Note: Seller immediately refunded me the full value without question - they definitely knew it was bogus and just headed off a deeper inquiry.

lilsvinyls on eBay if anyone sees them around - maybe a fluke but I wanted to share.

that is what is known as a bootleg. at that point, who cares what pressing of a bootleg it is. it is sourced from mp3s and not worth a penny.

Edited by jrodan

4 hours ago, Sh100by said:

They throw whatever shit they have lying around in the pressing machines for bootlegs. It's typical to have them all be different. You're a dick for getting a refund after saying you don't care about what the pressing is though.

This. There is no rhyme or reason to bootleg colors. I've received copies where one of the discs is black and the other is colored.

Edited by corey.

6 hours ago, Sh100by said:

They throw whatever shit they have lying around in the pressing machines for bootlegs. It's typical to have them all be different. You're a dick for getting a refund after saying you don't care about what the pressing is though.

As much as I appreciate being called a dick, I asked for a replacement because the C side had a divot in it so large it was unplayable and the seller promptly refunded my money on their own accord.

2 minutes ago, bluethumb said:

As much as I appreciate being called a dick, I asked for a replacement because the C side had a divot in it so large it was unplayable and the seller promptly refunded my money on their own accord.

You bought a bootleg. 🤦‍♀️

5 hours ago, bluethumb said:

And that would have been pertinent info to prevent yourself from looking like a dick in the OP. Why do you care about the pressing info of a trashed record that is unplayable to the point of needing a complete refund though? Seems like most people would call it a day and move on. Blonde has a black cover on black vinyl, anything different is a boot and has no info.

Boots exist coz Frank is a weirdo that doesn't want money... a selfless service to anyone who missed out however many years ago it was available at this point lol.

On 3/29/2020 at 10:14 AM, Sh100by said:

Last one I bought from vinyl digital was $20 for a 2LP are they really that expensive now? Jeez

Every time they hit my local shops they’re stickers at that much, I’ve never cared enough for boots/counterfeits to seek them out online.

Edited by DecayToDeath

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, tokimedo said:

Sorry for the crazy bump, but does this even sound good on vinyl or is it just a hypebeast flipping tool ? Considering grabbing a copy off rollin rec’s but if it sounds like doo doo i don’t wanna drop $40 on it 

EDIT: Ignore me, can’t read

Edited by Rip

3 hours ago, tokimedo said:

Sorry for the crazy bump, but does this even sound good on vinyl or is it just a hypebeast flipping tool ? Considering grabbing a copy off rollin rec’s but if it sounds like doo doo i don’t wanna drop $40 on it 

As someone who never heard the original, it sounds just fine through headphones. No worse/ not much worse than any of the digitally sourced reissues you get from pop punk bands circa 2004. If you're into the album, I'd grab one at some point.