Anyone out there with a Vinylflat want to help me out?

Heya, so I have 4 warped records that I'd love to put through a Vinylflat if anyone out there has one, is experienced with it, and would be down to help me out - I can't justify buying one myself for just a few records. I could pay you like $20 and (obviously) cover the cost of shipping both ways for your trouble. If anyone is game to help, please let me know on this thread or shoot me a PM. Thanks so much!!

Edited by shadowkid33

I wish I had taken the time to document this with some photos, but this is the gist of it..

1.  Get your warped "no better option" record out, and nicely cleaned. No dust!!!!
  2. Find a completely smooth and flat surface (Glass cutting board is ideal) but it could be any large, flat, surface (cleaned). <--- this is your bottom layer
  3. Next, get your oven going on preheat baby!! Set it AS LOW AS IT GOES, I think mine went to 200 minimum.
  4. Assuming you don't have a perfectly smooth cuttin' board, lay down a large uniform surface (i Used a plain inner-sleeve cut to be 1-ply) on your "bottom layer".
  5. Align your record over your base surface and 'smoothing' layer as outlined in steps 2 and 4.
  6. Now, top layers! add another perfectly smooth mid layer on top of your record, or another glass cutting board type thing if you have it ( I did not ).
  7. Now we need to weight this puppy up, as UNIFORMLY as possible. I had some really large coffee table books that fully covered the records surface area.
  8. Next add a few more books or other things on top until you have ~10lbs of weight I would say.
  9. Now, pop your vinyl and home goods sandwich into your oven, and let the magic happen!
  10. I think I left it in for only a couple minutes (2-3?), once the vinyl starts to soften it will quickly flatten.
  11. DO NOT OVERDO IT! You do not want to crush or distort the grooves in any way. Less is more.
  12. Take it out of the oven and let it completely cool before removing the weight from the top of the stack (10+ mins).
  13. Pop the weight off the top, and have a look! Hopefully you have a close to flat record :)

And of course, I assume no responsibility for any damaged or ruined records, house fires, etc.

But it did really do wonders for two of mine.

Cheers and good luck!

Edited by V3XED

18 hours ago, ZeroNowhere said:

I have a high end flattener that I bought from Japan a few years ago.  It’s awesome.  Send me a message, maybe we can work something out.

Thanks! I already had someone with a vinylflat reach out, but if for some reason it doesn’t work out on that machine I’ll reach out to you!

3 hours ago, shadowkid33 said:

Thanks! I already had someone with a vinylflat reach out, but if for some reason it doesn’t work out on that machine I’ll reach out to you!

This is beyond incorrect if using the supplied pouch. The way you ruin records is but putting them in the oven like someone is suggesting in this thread and you get too hot and cool over a quick period of time

I have never had anything remotely closed to a damaged record by using the pouch and vinyl flat

21 hours ago, ZeroNowhere said:

I have a high end flattener that I bought from Japan a few years ago.  It’s awesome.  Send me a message, maybe we can work something out.

2 hours ago, ZeroNowhere said:

Good luck.  Vinyl flats are garbage and half the time damage records.  I had one, it was the worst and hard to control even with their pouch.

This is beyond incorrect if using the supplied pouch. The way you ruin records is but putting them in the oven like someone is suggesting in this thread and you get too hot and cool over a quick period of time

I have never had anything remotely closed to a damaged record by using the pouch and vinyl flat

Here's how I flatten my records. It works every time, and as far as I can tell, doesn't damage the record. Note: It'll only work if you have hardwood/tile/laminate floors...

- Put the vinyl into a generic or trashed sleeve. This will prevent the sleeve of the album you're trying to save from getting damaged. 

- Lift up the corner of your record shelf (assuming it sits flat on the ground)

- Place the album underneath it, and set the shelf back down. 

- Forget about it for a month or two. 

Every record I've done this with comes out completely flat, and by the time you've forgotten about it, it'll be a nice surprise when you go to put another one under there ;)  The solution is either money or time, and I'm a cheap, patient bastard. 

• 2 years later...