technics SP-1210 mk2 help required!

Hi all,

I'll just preface what I say next by saying that I know very little about vinyl/turntables etc. My brother-in-law loaned us a pair of technics SP-1210 mk2 turntables and some old vestax mixer about a month ago. It's been working fairly well but the mixer has always been pretty dodgy unfortunately. It's now finally stopped working entirely and needs replacing.

I'm using an old pair of active genelec speakers from my studio so I don't need an amp of any kind. Or at least I don't think I do...? Can anyone advice on a cheap mixer that would be compatible with these specific decks? (or are they all going to basically work?)

Thanks very much in advance,

Mickey

• 1 month later...

DJ mixer will be fine, but you will notice an improvement if you get a separate phono stage (but then you won't be able to mix on the turntables). I always found that when you spent more on mixers you tended to get better built in phono stages (as mixers will have a MM phono stage built in). The improvement moving from a cheapish numark mixer to a basic pioneer mixer was clear for me. The step up from that to a DJM600 mixer was profound. Allen and Heath also have excellent stages, as do rane, along with other brands. These all cost alot though, so you need to ask yourself what your aiming to achieve. If you want to still be able to mix records (and use eq etc) then you will need a new mixer. If you just want to listen to records then a cheap Art DJ phono stage (or other more refined phono stage models) will give you the improvements in sound of a high end mixer, without the mixer functionality.