PO NOW: Fiona Apple - Fetch The Bolt Cutters 2xLP AND When The Pawn... LP (from VMP) AND The Idler Wheel... LP (Repress from VMP)...and NOW Extraordinary Machine from VMP

1 minute ago, tetsuodaironman said:

Kanye West, 10 years ago. I'm listening to this album on repeat. Where da P4K naysayers at now? Oh, Derek....

Use your own brain to form your own opinions.  Try it out – I think you'll like it.

On first listen, FTBC is enjoyable / fun / catchy.  Not sure if I'd call it a flawless 10 but I also don't hinge my tastes on music publications way past their prime.  Your results may vary.

14 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Use your own brain to form your own opinions.  Try it out – I think you'll like it.

On first listen, FTBC is enjoyable / fun / catchy.  Not sure if I'd call it a flawless 10 but I also don't hinge my tastes on music publications way past their prime.  Your results may vary.

Derek, you slap massive dong! But in all seriousness, I am guessing that their "prime" was when they were limited to a bubble of white, indie, incel music in the mid aughts? Their scope has since broadened. Their reviews are simply a point of reference which generally help catapult most musicians who are featured. But, make no mistake, there will not be a publication that doesn't triumph the genius of this album.

Edited by tetsuodaironman

1 hour ago, tetsuodaironman said:

Derek, you slap massive dong! But in all seriousness, I am guessing that their "prime" was when they were limited to a bubble of white, indie, incel music in the mid aughts? Their scope has since broadened. Their reviews are simply a point of reference which generally help catapult most musicians who are featured. But, make no mistake, there will not be a publication that doesn't triumph the genius of this album.

I'm not saying that the album isn't deserving of praise.  I'm already eager to go back for a second listen later today or tomorrow.  I have no beef with Fiona Apple and a lot of friends of various musical backgrounds are enamored with it; it's all good.  I don't know exactly when Pitchfork's heyday was – or what race has to do with anything? – but I can assure you that even then, I'd probably read their reviews for amusement but not necessarily place too much stock into whatever number score they awarded an album.  That's really all I'm getting at.  If an album is objectively good then you should hop on board the hype train because you're a fan.  No need to wait for p4k or anyone else to confirm or, or use a review as "proof" or a green light to enjoy something.

Assigning a number score to a record is dumb but, if we’re wading into those waters, I have no problem with this getting a 10. It’s really good and it’s a bit more ferocious and weirder than Idler Wheel, which also could deserve a 10 on an imaginary subjective number scale.

On my own scale of “Hell yeah” to “I love this”, I give it a “this is a new Fiona Apple album!!!!”

Edited by Oblivions

17 minutes ago, Oblivions said:

Assigning a number score to a record is dumb but, if we’re wading into those waters, I have no problem with this getting a 10. It’s really good and it’s a bit more ferocious and weirder than Idler Wheel, which also could deserve a 10 on an imaginary subjective number scale.

On my own scale of “Hell yeah” to “I love this”, I give it a “this is a new Fiona Apple album!!!!”

I guess that’s the issue I have is what you just wrote in your last paragraph.  The first thing I saw about a new Fiona Apple album was on pitchfork.  And I saw it get a best new music which didn’t surprise me as it deserves that.  But then I saw the phrase “no music has ever sounded quite like it” and the 10 review.  So I immediately jumped to Spotify to stream this unique music I’ve never heard before and a few songs in I was like “this is another Fiona Apple album”.  

2 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I'm not saying that the album isn't deserving of praise.  I'm already eager to go back for a second listen later today or tomorrow.  I have no beef with Fiona Apple and a lot of friends of various musical backgrounds are enamored with it; it's all good.  I don't know exactly when Pitchfork's heyday was – or what race has to do with anything? – but I can assure you that even then, I'd probably read their reviews for amusement but not necessarily place too much stock into whatever number score they awarded an album.  That's really all I'm getting at.  If an album is objectively good then you should hop on board the hype train because you're a fan.  No need to wait for p4k or anyone else to confirm or, or use a review as "proof" or a green light to enjoy something.

No doubt, but the way I see it is they are just one perspective that I use when being recommended new music or albums. To me, they are like a friend saying, "Hey, you should check this album out." And like a good friend I trust, I normally listen to their recommendations. Outside of them I still listen to tons of music that they don't cover, but, historically, their opinions on albums have lined up with mine. It's crazy to me how albums I love for very specific reasons I will search their site and, lo and behold, I see a BNM or high rating for said album(s).

That’s fair, but you don’t need to rush to their defense. People have been dumping on them for 17ish years, People will dump on them for the next 17+ years. Read the review or peep the score and then go on. Pitchfork will be fine. They aren’t the taste maker they used to be, but what they do is fine still. 

6 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

That’s fair, but you don’t need to rush to their defense. People have been dumping on them for 17ish years, People will dump on them for the next 17+ years. Read the review or peep the score and then go on. Pitchfork will be fine. They aren’t the taste maker they used to be, but what they do is fine still. 

They still slap massive dong in my book. I don't think they need anyone's endorsement, though, lest we forget their staying power...

this pressing will be like the last two pressings - Idler was widely available initially but once that (large) first pressing is out it'll be a few years until it's repressed. 

I can't see a limited variant happening here - when Tidal was pressed and Idler re-pressed by VMP (the company that loves to do colors for everything) it was on black.

yoooooooooooooo FUCK YEAH!! absolutely no joke stoked to bump the cassette in the '98 tacoma i inherited from my father-in-law. he painted flames on the sides. i'm gonna be the talk of the town

for anyone who missed it, the 10.0 is the first in a decade, since kanye already mentioned

i am absolutely ok with people disagreeing on the 10... it's almost impossible to divorce oneself from fiona's near-mythos at this point, so i'm not going to fault a trigger-happy music critic for slapping the 10 on her. like seeing a damn unicorn. even if the unicorn was not as cool as you thought it'd be, you're still probably going to hype the shit out of the unicorn to your friends

edit: i would knock it down to 9.9 exclusively for the nonsense dolphin noises she makes at the end of "i want you to love me"

Edited by chamb117

I wish I liked this nearly as much as everyone else seems to. I tried.

There is definitely some good stuff on here, but it's waaaaayyyyy too long for what it is. I wanted to turn it off at least 4 times when playing it all the way through.

Maybe it'll click at some point. I like other Fiona stuff.

EDIT: Damn, it's not even as long as it seems. Yikes.

Edited by erikness

• jhulud changed the title to PO NOW: Fiona Apple - Fetch The Bolt Cutters 2xLP AND When The Pawn... LP (from VMP) AND The Idler Wheel... LP (Repress from VMP)...and NOW Extraordinary Machine from VMP