PO NOW: Fiona Apple - Fetch The Bolt Cutters 2xLP AND When The Pawn... LP (from VMP) AND The Idler Wheel... LP (Repress from VMP)...and NOW Extraordinary Machine from VMP

28 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Can you imagine if these were all colored reissues now that the variant block has been lifted from her vinyl editions?  Completely unlikely, but still...

Why is it unlikely? I would assume they'd be colored vinyl if they're being pushed by VMP, isn't that sort of their thing?

1 hour ago, jrodan said:

weird. i just ordered through this link. said "free member shipping." i am not a member. lol

thanks for the heads up. stoked to buy this without a membership to VMP, which is a completely stupid program.

Just noticed that as well.

But scrolled down in all the different shipping methods and shows Non-member preorder shipping - Domestic  $4.95. And then also a non-member ships now for $4.95 also.

Weird. I am going to chance it w/ the "free member shipping". What's the worst that will happen? Cancel it? Oh well.

2 hours ago, jhulud said:

Just noticed that as well.

But scrolled down in all the different shipping methods and shows Non-member preorder shipping - Domestic  $4.95. And then also a non-member ships now for $4.95 also.

Weird. I am going to chance it w/ the "free member shipping". What's the worst that will happen? Cancel it? Oh well.

i did the same. well see what happens lol 

I think (and hope) it'll be something fancier than just a white record.  Wishful thinking but I'd love to see something like the "iridescent pearl" variant that Temporary Residence started using last year.  Looks like a textured off-white at a glance, but shifts into a blue and pink hue depending on how the light hits it.

R-13717106-1560170239-5817.jpeg.jpg

All that to say, VMP's variant will be a safer bet.

11 hours ago, unknown pleasures said:

Why is it unlikely? I would assume they'd be colored vinyl if they're being pushed by VMP, isn't that sort of their thing?

I recently read something that implied Fiona had never to do colored reissues of the albums because she felt that "black vinyl" was appropriate for them at the time of their release.  Sort of staying true to the simplicity, I guess?  Not trying to talk out of my ass, but maybe someone else can paraphrase it better.  Could've sworn it was in an interview – probably regurgitated info from VMP's forums.  That's not to say colored reissues would 100% be off the table, going forward.  I just wouldn't hold my breath to see them.  VMP is certainly all about those limited colorways, but they've stuck to their guns in keeping her catalog on black wax.  Until now, obviously.

35 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I recently read something that implied Fiona had never to do colored reissues of the albums because she felt that "black vinyl" was appropriate for them at the time of their release.  Sort of staying true to the simplicity, I guess?

https://magazine.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/tidal-info/

Andrew: This is the first black vinyl Record of the Month we’ve done since, what, Big Bill Broonzy 15 months ago. Why did we end up doing black on this release?

Cam: Fiona’s camp decided that since this is Tidal’s first release, they wanted to try to keep it as much as possible like it would have been if the vinyl came out in 1996. If they were doing the vinyl package in 1996, they would not have put it on color vinyl. They would have included a lyric book identical to what came with the cd. They wouldn’t have added bonus tracks or an additional disc or done alternate art work. It would have just been the album, on high quality black vinyl, and that’s it. So that’s what we went with. And I actually love the simplicity of it.

30 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Looks mighty boring compared to the VMP variant.  Still gonna' cross my fingers and hope for the best.

Hot take: I think it looks fitting, and considering the nature of the album, white (as opposed to black) seems like a fitting color. We're so accustomed to any possible color combo as collectors, but a direct contrast to the mainstream (black vinyl being most common) is a huge statement about the nature of the whole album as it stands at this point in music history. Hope it sounds good.

15 hours ago, AdamJNovak said:

Grabbed the VMP version and canceled my pearl variant with BullMoose. 

I ALMOST did. But, if that “pearl” color is the audiophile milky clear formulation, similar to what Quality Record Pressings used for those EXCELLENT Jimi Hendrix - Axis re-issues, that might sound the best out of the bunch.

Edited by Plarocks

4 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

Also, is there any special formulation other than just melted virgin pvc? 

What do you mean? Technically black is the only formula perfectly tailored for making records because it has carbon for noise reduction. White is the closest formula to black just lacking the carbon and foggy clear is how the pvc naturally looks. Opaque colors are variations of white with dyes. So if you're really looking for best sound quality in your variant from best to worst should be: black > white = opaque colors > translucent = translucent colors > color mixes (smash, splatter, etc) > novelty shit (GitD, pic disc, glitter)

16 minutes ago, Sh100by said:

What do you mean? Technically black is the only formula perfectly tailored for making records because it has carbon for noise reduction. White is the closest formula to black just lacking the carbon and foggy clear is how the pvc naturally looks. Opaque colors are variations of white with dyes. So if you're really looking for best sound quality in your variant from best to worst should be: black > white = opaque colors > translucent = translucent colors > color mixes (smash, splatter, etc) > novelty shit (GitD, pic disc, glitter)

From the past 25 years or so of collecting, some of my white vinyl pressings sound HORRIBLE. For example, the first pressing of Hole “Live Through This.”

The mastering is great, but the second pressing on black blows the white vinyl pressing away.

And I have found it is often the opposite when it comes to translucent colors vs opaque, especially when dealing with Warner 90s vinyl.

But in the same collection, my opaque WHITE VINYL German Line pressing of Garcia sounds AMAZING...

So go figure. 😄

3 minutes ago, Plarocks said:

From the past 25 years or so of collecting, some of my white vinyl pressings sound HORRIBLE. For example, the first pressing of Hole “Live Through This.”

The mastering is great, but the second pressing on black blows the white vinyl pressing away.

And I have found it is often the opposite when it comes to translucent colors vs opaque, especially when dealing with Warner 90s vinyl.

But in the same collection, my opaque WHITE VINYL German Line pressing of Garcia sounds AMAZING...

So go figure. 😄

Pressing plants have a large impact too. Black vinyl from GZ sounds bad for instance.

• jhulud changed the title to PO NOW: Fiona Apple - Fetch The Bolt Cutters 2xLP AND When The Pawn... LP (from VMP) AND The Idler Wheel... LP (Repress from VMP)...and NOW Extraordinary Machine from VMP