Norma Jean - Meridional Repress

2 hours ago, N8TRU said:

I just wanna say whoever actually has the rights to these old school metalcore releases, like NJ and UØ, that isn't pressing them to make bank is a big stupid idiot.

This was one of the band’s Razor & Tie releases which is a part a of the Universal conglomerate.  Most Tooth & Nail releases prior to 2013 or so are now also part of the same conglomerate, so unfortunately those bands probably aren’t the biggest priority for company to release themselves.

Edited by grizzlyfoz

4 minutes ago, grizzlyfoz said:

This was one of the band’s Razor & Tie releases which is a part a of the Universal conglomerate.  Most Tooth & Nail releases prior to 2013 or so are now also part of the same conglomerate, so unfortunately those bands probably aren’t the biggest priority for company to release themselves.

Fearless owns Razor & Tie now and I haven't seen them put anything on vinyl since the acquisition. I was really hoping for Sworn In and some others but no luck.

5 hours ago, N8TRU said:

I just wanna say whoever actually has the rights to these old school metalcore releases, like NJ and UØ, that isn't pressing them to make bank is a big stupid idiot.

Right? Define The Great Line and They’re Only Chasing Safety could sell a few thousand each easily. 

2 hours ago, Stubenrocker73 said:

Don’t think it’s /100 but simply the US /500. Grabbed one anyway. Thought about grabbing one from the US store, hesitated because of the price, after which it sold out. 

3 hours ago, ethereal said:

$47 shipped sucked but happy to own this finally. 

was $42 shipped for me from the US store, not the worst disparity for "importing"

1 hour ago, Jim Steele said:

Don’t think it’s /100 but simply the US /500. Grabbed one anyway. Thought about grabbing one from the US store, hesitated because of the price, after which it sold out. 

believe you're right, as the band stated on an FB comment that they were only licensed to press 1k total. so probably put 400 of the/500 up on the US store and the other 100 on the EU one.

1 hour ago, copelandkid said:

believe you're right, as the band stated on an FB comment that they were only licensed to press 1k total. 

Side-note: I really hate when labels do this. It makes no sense. Rather a flat rate of "It will cost $10,000 and you can only make 1,000 Copies" they should do "Make as many as you want, but you owe us $10 per record." This happens with so many represses like this and I always think "well we'll get another repress in approximately never."

On 4/24/2020 at 3:14 PM, MyEnemy said:

I still can’t wrap my head around this logic. Unless you’re a fairweather collector, $40 PPD for a double LP is at the high end, but still, in the “normal” range. 

Especially for a band putting it out themselves, in a day in age where “let’s support bands” is very much needed. Norma Jean weren’t packing out 1000 cap rooms before any of this started...

I totally get it. I would love to buy this knowing that it is all going to the band. I was actually kind of gutted it ended up selling out so quick because I was actually reconsidering. For me though it's more of a personal cap/principle I've put on myself lately. I can't keep spending $30+ every time something gets released that I want. It's too much now. Back when I first started collecting single LPs were like $16-18 plus a few bucks for shipping. Double LPs were usually $5 or so more. Now it's like $28-30 just for a single and $35-40 for a double. It's crazy. I pretty much completely stopped buying Mondo releases because they've gotten so high up there.

I still do really want to own this album but maybe it will be a trade with someone down the road. I'd much rather use the trade bait I have sitting around than the $40 in my bank account.

Edited by justin_cole12

$40 beats the $150+ it’s been going for;

also to clarify, a lot more more goes into the pricing then just the direct cost of manufacturing the vinyl... like a lot more. you can’t honestly expect bands and labels to just sell something for $20 because “historically that makes sense”.

its easy to sit behind a computer and complain when you have zero clue how licensing and costs work. If it’s too much for you don’t buy it? It’s that simple.

you guys act like they are purposely ripping people off... I would suggest  doing some research on trying to press a record from a defunct label for music you no longer own. These tropes would sound a lot different.

Lol simmer down man. I'm giving my reasoning on why I'm not buying $40 records anymore. I understand how this all works.

And just because something goes for "$150" doesn't mean $40 isn't high for vinyl.

Edit: also don't just assume that people don't know what we are talking about and the ins and outs of it all. Lots of us have been collecting for numerous years. We get it. And I never said once that I felt anyone was being ripped off. Super fuckihg cool for NJ to sell out of this. I'm happy for them.

Edited by justin_cole12

On 5/1/2020 at 5:37 PM, MCDELTAT said:

Side-note: I really hate when labels do this. It makes no sense. Rather a flat rate of "It will cost $10,000 and you can only make 1,000 Copies" they should do "Make as many as you want, but you owe us $10 per record." This happens with so many represses like this and I always think "well we'll get another repress in approximately never."

Larger labels are always trying to protect their investments. Licenses always expire at some point. Not only is it easier to license out a finite amount, when the label decides on a number (in this case, 1000) they probably want to gauge interest while limiting their risk. Now that they saw how fast it sold  and what people are willing to pay, they now know they can license it out for higher fees or press it themselves. 

For instance, I licensed out a particular record several years ago and the label allowed me to press 500 copies. They sold out in a matter of days. When we asked to do a repress or talk about pressing other records by this particular band, we were told something to the effect of ‘we saw how successful the presale went. We’re going to handle future vinyl releases for this band.’

sometimes there’s a bigger picture that may or may not consider the best interests of the artist, the fans, or the label. But you know, capitalism. 

32 minutes ago, dreamover said:

Larger labels are always trying to protect their investments. Licenses always expire at some point. Not only is it easier to license out a finite amount, when the label decides on a number (in this case, 1000) they probably want to gauge interest while limiting their risk. Now that they saw how fast it sold  and what people are willing to pay, they now know they can license it out for higher fees or press it themselves. 

For instance, I licensed out a particular record several years ago and the label allowed me to press 500 copies. They sold out in a matter of days. When we asked to do a repress or talk about pressing other records by this particular band, we were told something to the effect of ‘we saw how successful the presale went. We’re going to handle future vinyl releases for this band.’

sometimes there’s a bigger picture that may or may not consider the best interests of the artist, the fans, or the label. But you know, capitalism. 

Very interesting insight, thank you for sharing! Love learning more about the biz.

1 hour ago, dreamover said:

Makes sense on that side of it. It'd be funny if they still never do a repress. What record was it?