Norma Jean - Meridional Repress

6 hours ago, Rottengoth said:

Such a cash grab of a release. Really basic. Cool it got repressed but damn the art looks shot and the finished product didn’t look like the mockups.

Disagree. My Blue/White looks exactly like the mockup. The Black/White copies I've seen on IG also look a million times better than say the Blink-182 DED that just came out. Art is pretty basic, true. The fuzziness was expected on my end as well. It was part of the og CD/LP Design, so I figured it would remain fuzzy.

Wouldn't call it a cash grab either since they likely won't repress this for a long time/ever, they have 5+ people to support, and it may need to support them for a year+. Was going to do the math here, but suffice to say, they aren't going to be getting Gold Jacuzzi's based off this.

Got my copy today, relieved to say that, while it doesn't sound revelatory, it's very solid. I really enjoy the inclusion of the two bonus tracks, but I was a bit thrown off by the insertion of Kill More Presidents between Falling From the Sky and Everlasting Tapeworm as it really slimes the buildup to Tapeworm. Still, a heck of an album and it sounds better than I expected.

As far as the artwork, it is a touch darker than it should be, but you guys had me expecting it to be pixelated or something. I think it possibly could have been crisper, but in general it looks totally fine and stays true to the painted aesthetic.

One question I had, did everyone else get the discs in the opposite sleeves they expected? I have disc 1 in the sleeve with the quote from Innocent Bystanders and disc 2 in the sleeve with the quote from Leaderless. If it was intentionally some kind of reverse bookend thing, that's fine, it just kinda made my minor OCD senses tingle.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to spin mine. 
Would have much preferred this if it came out like the mockup, but its not bad looking.

Also, the pixelated cover, is well... pixelated, but I think with the 'grunge' vibe of the art it really isn't that noticeable.

The whole thing is a decent package too, gate-fold with quality printed inners.

And the important part... it really does sounds excellent.  So, consider me happy overall. 

The artwork while it is pixelated, doesn't bug me that much. Going back if anybody owns a copy of Straylight Run's s/t, Further Seems Forever "Hide Nothing", and Lydia "This December..." it's the same style of artwork by StarvingEyes which was a dude named Jason Oda if I recall... Pretty sure it's the same guy that made the classic "Emo Game"! Anyways all the art from those albums are very similar in style. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 minute ago, tokimedo said:

Anyone have links for the rsd pressing ? Can’t miss this twice. 

Germany going up at 3 PM EST: https://www.hhv.de/shop/en/item/norma-jean-meridional-blue-black-friday-record-store-day-2020-edition-776071?p=t0NTvG

probably you can get stateside options too.