Record store gofundmes

Thought I'd start a thread for this because one of my favorite stores has one going. I'm sure they're not the only one, but they post here and they're always super helpful around RSD so here's a gofundme for 1234Go. Post your local stores as well
https://www.gofundme.com/f/1234goneedsyourhelp

Edit: also feel free to throw in your local venues as long as they're not livenation or other corporate bullshit.

Edited by shenanigans

5 hours ago, Fowty Dollaz said:

Shit. Didn't know that about Graveface. Can't believe some douchebag INCREASED the rent. Scumbag.

That doesn't surprise me. We're going to see a lot of that sort of thing once things settle down. Prices are going to increase for everything as companies try to make up profits. A $5 coffee will be $6-7 and unemployment will still be high for awhile. Even if people get their jobs back there'll be paycuts or reduced hours. Then prices will plummet as we enter a recession. It was inevitable in the next few years anyway, the virus was just the last straw. 

1 hour ago, ZeroNowhere said:

Yeah, it’s pitiful.  Trying to ask people for $400k.  Love Amoeba but as soon as I saw

this I laughed.  Shops begging for money to stay open is weak.  Not everyone will make it through this.  It sucks, it is what it is, but fleecing people for money to try to stay alive on what was obviously a month to month business is fucked up imo.  Say I’m an asshole all you want, but my opinion won’t change.  

No it’s not being an asshole it’s just the economic truth of the matter. All these gofundmes are just temporary lifeboats. Even if everything goes back to normal in the next few months sales will be down for everything. Stores will struggle in every business. Donating now is just helping delay the inevitable for some things. 

On 4/26/2020 at 8:29 AM, ryantark said:

14 hours ago, kramer73 said:

People seem really worked up about the Amoeba gofundme on the interwebs.  

13 hours ago, ZeroNowhere said:

Yeah, it’s pitiful.  Trying to ask people for $400k.  Love Amoeba but as soon as I saw

this I laughed.  Shops begging for money to stay open is weak.  Not everyone will make it through this.  It sucks, it is what it is, but fleecing people for money to try to stay alive on what was obviously a month to month business is fucked up imo.  Say I’m an asshole all you want, but my opinion won’t change.  

1 hour ago, Han Solo said:

$400,000 is insane. They say they have 400 employees. They have 3(!!!) stores. How can they have 400 employees? Also, in case anyone doesn't remember they sold their building for $34 million last year. They're closing the doors on the current location because they were moving anyway.

2 hours ago, shenanigans said:

$400,000 is insane. They say they have 400 employees. They have 3(!!!) stores. How can they have 400 employees? Also, in case anyone doesn't remember they sold their building for $34 million last year. They're closing the doors on the current location because they were moving anyway.

The staffing is into the hundreds? 

It’s 300 people at the L.A. store, and they’re such an amazing and caring staff. And from what little we’ve managed to stay in contact with them as a group, everybody’s holding tight and absolutely all about trying to make sure we get back up on our feet ASAP.

And most of those are part-time, we’d assume?

Uh-uh. I would say more than two-thirds are full-time. I’m not sure the exact number, but if you’re counting anyone up to 32 hours, I would say that’s at least 80% of our staff. We have so many people working in the back, upstairs, pricing, moving stuff, and then we have a warehouse, and all the buyers that are out there. I mean, the building is filled with activity, even in all the back rooms. It’s a lot of people.

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/amoeba-music-gofundme-record-store-fund-drive-vinyl-1234585476/

I've made a point to buy/ rent/ share things for shops that I think are important or important to me, but I'm not flat out giving money. My next shopping spree will probably be the Graveface Bandcamp. They are a fantastic record store and I hope to be able to see the museum the next time I visit Savannah. 

Yeah... I hate this shit.

I love my local record stores and craft breweries and mom and pop shops as much as the next guy but why do these companies think that the people that support them on a regular basis have all this extra fucking money lying around to give out in the first place?

I'll buy $100 in gift cards or something - a situation where I'm prepaying or floating you some cash to make rent payments during the down time that I'll eventually get something in return for - but I'm sick and tired of places just asking me to give them money for existing. I've had sooooo many emails from places making that request and it's just insane.

Yeah, I want my dogwalker to be able to afford food during the quarantine - but why is the dogwalking company asking me to GIVE my money to them for free?  "Hey we need to pay our dogwalkers but no one is needing dogwalking right now. Would you consider paying in advance for two months of walks that you can redeem once quarantine is lifted?" Sure. "Wanna give free money to us because unprecedented times are tough?" No.

If you guys think this is bad, Voltage Lounge isn't refunding anyone for their cancelled Citizen show that was sold out (and probably other shows). They told me they don't have the cash flow. I made 3 attempts to get a refund for 3 weeks and eventually had to tap in with the band's management to get an answer as to why 300 people weren't given refunds by the promoter for something that will never happen. Eventbrite took 3 separate attempts to get a refund request in. VL was going to make no attempt to give anyone their money back. Straight up theft and fraud in my opinion. I get it that times are tough but that's just stealing. They said they could refund people when the cash flow returns and they have shows again but who knows when that will happen. Plus they made a gofundme.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/voltage-lounge-employee-fund

Edited by N8TRU

45 minutes ago, rooks said:

Yeah... I hate this shit.

I love my local record stores and craft breweries and mom and pop shops as much as the next guy but why do these companies think that the people that support them on a regular basis have all this extra fucking money lying around to give out in the first place?

I'll buy $100 in gift cards or something - a situation where I'm prepaying or floating you some cash to make rent payments during the down time that I'll eventually get something in return for - but I'm sick and tired of places just asking me to give them money for existing. I've had sooooo many emails from places making that request and it's just insane.

Yeah, I want my dogwalker to be able to afford food during the quarantine - but why is the dogwalking company asking me to GIVE my money to them for free?  "Hey we need to pay our dogwalkers but no one is needing dogwalking right now. Would you consider paying in advance for two months of walks that you can redeem once quarantine is lifted?" Sure. "Wanna give free money to us because unprecedented times are tough?" No.

I feel the same way. My wife and I have been on leave with our new child for over a month now and every week we've been ordering from our favorite local eateries and breweries to help keep them afloat but we're not just going to give them money. I've also done my best to continue supporting some of my favorite artists by buying records/merch when I can.

I just look back and think of all the times I walked into Amoeba - fresh out of college and understandably with little free cash - and while checking out a record I grabbed off the rack that I'd loved to have purchased the clerk just stood next to me and whispered "Take it - go ahead. We know times are hard but we're here for you."

13 hours ago, ex lion tamer said:

The staffing is into the hundreds? 

It’s 300 people at the L.A. store, and they’re such an amazing and caring staff. And from what little we’ve managed to stay in contact with them as a group, everybody’s holding tight and absolutely all about trying to make sure we get back up on our feet ASAP.

And most of those are part-time, we’d assume?

Uh-uh. I would say more than two-thirds are full-time. I’m not sure the exact number, but if you’re counting anyone up to 32 hours, I would say that’s at least 80% of our staff. We have so many people working in the back, upstairs, pricing, moving stuff, and then we have a warehouse, and all the buyers that are out there. I mean, the building is filled with activity, even in all the back rooms. It’s a lot of people.

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/amoeba-music-gofundme-record-store-fund-drive-vinyl-1234585476/

300 people to run a record store. who would have thought? So either they have a bunch of people working 5 hours a week or they have a bunch of people who they don't want to give health insurance to. Either way. Take that $400,000 out of the $34M you sold your building for.

1 hour ago, unknown pleasures said:

I just look back and think of all the times I walked into Amoeba - fresh out of college and understandably with little free cash - and while checking out a record I grabbed off the rack that I'd loved to have purchased the clerk just stood next to me and whispered "Take it - go ahead. We know times are hard but we're here for you."

Oh, the memories.

55 minutes ago, shenanigans said:

300 people to run a record store. who would have thought? So either they have a bunch of people working 5 hours a week or they have a bunch of people who they don't want to give health insurance to. Either way. Take that $400,000 out of the $34M you sold your building for.

Have you ever been to amoeba? They always have like 10-15 people behind the counter at all times with only register open and a long line. Makes sense. 

The real issue with their business model is their online prices. They’re overpriced on almost everything. For the largest store in the county you would think they’d be able to offer the best prices for online shopping. Yeah shipping is free but it’s basically built into every price. Why would I fill my collection buying staple albums from Amoeba when I can get the same thing cheaper from Bullmoose or Zia who offer free, faster shipping over $30. Or Amazon if you don’t mind supporting them. 

Amoeba should be the go to online shop but it isn’t. 

1 hour ago, museummouth said:

Amoeba should be the go to online shop but it isn’t. 

My understanding is most of the new vinyl on the website is priced by their supplier. I've noticed that some of my orders came from KY (presumably the same warehouse as DeepDiscount, importcds, etc) and Amoeba gets a cut of that whereas Zia/Bullmoose would be shipping from one of their stores using the store price. Guess they're charging whatever the actual MSRP is.

3 hours ago, morfiend said:

I feel the same way. My wife and I have been on leave with our new child for over a month now and every week we've been ordering from our favorite local eateries and breweries to help keep them afloat but we're not just going to give them money. I've also done my best to continue supporting some of my favorite artists by buying records/merch when I can.

100%. I was and still am totally onboard with supporting local anything - especially when I can tell those companies are grinding as best they can.

My local sit-in pizza place created a website and now takes orders online and via the phone for pickup/contact-less delivery. Nice.

The local craft brewery in my old neighborhood can't open their taproom/bar. They're still brewing new beers every week and offering pickup/delivery on everything. Nice.

A record store with 300 employees (what the fuck) and a well established online order system can't pay rent on the building they just sold for $34million. Fuck off.

It's not just Amoeba, either. 

Shit like this: https://www.gofundme.com/f/landlocked-employee-tip-jar They aren't paying their hourly employees, but want me to? For... free?

Same thing from Bowery Ballroom: https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-the-bowery-ballroom-and-mercury-lounge-staff

Turntable Lab: https://www.gofundme.com/f/support-the-turntable-lab-storefront-crew

I understand people like to be charitable, but man there's something super gross about an employer laying off their staff and then putting that on their customers by guilting them with shit like "Have you ever bought a record from that nice single mother at the checkout counter? Have you ever seen a show here and been pointed to the bathroom by one of our staff? Have you ever enjoyed the smile of the nice bouncer outside keeping you safe at one of our events? Well those employees are STARVING now because we FIRED THEM! PLEASE consider donating ANYTHING you CAN!!!! SHOW YOUR LOVE!!!"

I guess no harm in asking for it since it sure seems like people are more than willing to give out money for free - in this economy - lol. But, I know I'll be remembering what companies did everything they could to adapt and survive - and the ones that begged me for free money because I once gave them money for goods/services in the past.