PO : Strike Anywhere - Nightmares Of The West (17 july)

1 hour ago, Dub said:

I think the bigger problem is the most limited variant is not listed at the same time as the other pre-orders.  If the label wants to bundle something like this, I'm fine with it.  I'm sure there are people who want to and will buy it.  The problem for me is the fact that those people, who are probably pretty big SA fans, already pre-ordered one copy of this during the initial pre-order.

Pure Noise has done this several times already.  They can run their business any way they want, but it seems like they're gouging the most loyal fans.  It smells bad to me and I think its poor form.

This exactly. Dub said it much more polite than I would have.

You're fucking gouging the fans, something pure noise has become known for. I wanted the rarest variant of the record, silk screen, color, whatever. And did everything I could to get one. And now a week later a new one is out after I already ordered, and not only that, but I gotta spend $100 on a jacket to get it.

And then you come to these boards like you're one of us, and get snippy with people who crack jokes about you pulling this shit. 

Like Dub said, it's your business, run it how you want. But you're pissing off the people who support you. And that affects the bands that you work with. You're becoming the new rise records man...

Edited by kylet

1 hour ago, MyEnemy said:

You seem to be not so privy to Strike Anywhere or their politics, eh?

Let's keep the attacks and snide remark at bay, please? 

Look. We all have different opinions. What Pure Noise does, is what what they do. The bands have a contract. Be it right or wrong, it is what it is. 

But a band like this shouldnt take the abuse. Pure Noise shouldve taken many things into cl consideration. End of story. It's over. Done. 

17 minutes ago, IanRees said:

Abuse? That’s a bit harsh. Not a single thing we’ve done has been done without the bands approval.

The band approved a staggered release strategy that steered their most devoted fans to purchase multiple copies of the same ep?  They approved a 2 phase preorder (which is a standard pure noise practice)with second phase being the most exclusive option?  Please tell me this was explicitly approved by them.  After you confirm this, I'll happily question my understanding of what strike anywhere stand for and absolve pure noise of any wrong doing.  Not holding my breath.

13 minutes ago, Dub said:

The band approved a staggered release strategy that steered their most devoted fans to purchase multiple copies of the same ep?  They approved a 2 phase preorder (which is a standard pure noise practice)with second phase being the most exclusive option?  Please tell me this was explicitly approved by them.  After you confirm this, I'll happily question my understanding of what strike anywhere stand for and absolve pure noise of any wrong doing.  Not holding my breath.

I’m not sure what to tell you, we don’t do anything without our bands final approvals, including this. 

For what it's worth:

1) Pure Noise has always done some kind of screen printed cover for their recent (last year+?) releases. So this was very expected. Anyone feeling misled just hasn't been paying attention.

2) Let's remember that we're talking about plastic with grooves on it here...  why do you 100% have to have "the most limited" of anything? Is Strike Anywhere going to think you're less of a fan because you didn't buy it? Is the internet going to take away your "biggest fan" sticker if you don't have it? Perhaps if you have a complete collection, but otherwise there is no true tangible or intangible value to it. I mean, you could honestly fake one of these sleeves for less than $100 and then you have a 1/1 bootleg.

interesting. I thought I had ordered the most limited variant (which i usually do) but apparently I didn’t. It must not have been clear what was what at the time. i remember it being kinda confusing  (something about descriptions of colors not matching or something). i'd never even heard of pure noise or ordered from them before (well, i'd prob heard of them when they did LTJ but forgot). they seem like the new Rise Records from what i can see.  since i didn't know their usual gig, i just picked one of the PN webstore exclusives i guess. 

i could use a new Dickies jacket. i'd have been kinda interested if the back wasn't so obnoxious and there was a big/tall XX-large option. prob anything on the back would've been a deal breaker for me tho. 

7 minutes ago, GradedOnACurve said:

Yeah I have the pic disc but I hate playing pic discs. I feel those are the only vinyl worth framing. Also I'd like an actual proper LP, sleeve, and insert. 

ah, i see. yea, i'm not a big fan of pic discs. i have it, but i rarely play it bc i have chorus of one and the 7"s anyway and i'm not that into the other stuff on it. 

58 minutes ago, burntwolf said:

interesting. I thought I had ordered the most limited variant (which i usually do) but apparently I didn’t. It must not have been clear what was what at the time. i remember it being kinda confusing  (something about descriptions of colors not matching or something).

For the record, here is the pressing info

200 – PN Webstore Exclusive 1 – Doublemint & Swamp Green Pinwheel w/ Heavy Neon Yellow splatter
300 – PN Webstore Exclusive 2  – Doublemint, Swamp Green, White Aside/Bside
400 – US / UK Indie Retail – Coke Bottle Clear W/ heavy Doublemint & Neon Yellow Splatter
500 – EU Exclusive – Black in Coke Bottle Clear
600 – Various – Swamp Green and Doublemint Galaxy

3 hours ago, burntwolf said:

interesting. I thought I had ordered the most limited variant (which i usually do) but apparently I didn’t. It must not have been clear what was what at the time. i remember it being kinda confusing  (something about descriptions of colors not matching or something). i'd never even heard of pure noise or ordered from them before (well, i'd prob heard of them when they did LTJ but forgot). they seem like the new Rise Records from what i can see.  since i didn't know their usual gig, i just picked one of the PN webstore exclusives i guess. 

i could use a new Dickies jacket. i'd have been kinda interested if the back wasn't so obnoxious and there was a big/tall XX-large option. prob anything on the back would've been a deal breaker for me tho. 

Right?! Trying to match up those goddamn color names in the pressing info to what you're buying.

Ian. Just listen to what we are saying. This is a band that doesnt condone this type of capitalism . You do this with every band. I get it. You're a label. You need to make money. 

But with a band like this, I severely reject to what youre doing.  I know it's a contract, but fucking hell. 

Edited by Satan

13 hours ago, Satan said:

But with a band like this, I severely reject to what youre doing.  I know it's a contract, but fucking hell. 

I’d be interested to know how specific the contract is.  Or if it has them agree to “marketing and merchandising strategies”... none of my/our business really though. I’m sure if the band isn’t happy they can’t do much about it or even publicly announce any disagreements due to said contract.

Gotta respect Ian for being willing to die on this whole “the variant was available separately” hill, though. Even though he knows damn well vinyl nerds (ie this whole community) will consider the same color record with a different cover a separate variant. Rule number 1: Deny til you die.