PO : Strike Anywhere - Nightmares Of The West (17 july)

36 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

I’d be interested to know how specific the contract is.  Or if it has them agree to “marketing and merchandising strategies”... none of my/our business really though. I’m sure if the band isn’t happy they can’t do much about it or even publicly announce any disagreements due to said contract.

Gotta respect Ian for being willing to die on this whole “the variant was available separately” hill, though. Even though he knows damn well vinyl nerds (ie this whole community) will consider the same color record with a different cover a separate variant. Rule number 1: Deny til you die.

We do not force any of our bands to do a bundle or merch item they don't agree with, if they don't want to do something we don't do it, its that simple. All of our bands have final approval. There were other bundle options we came to them with and they said no, so we didn't do them.

55 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

Gotta respect Ian for being willing to die on this whole “the variant was available separately” hill, though. Even though he knows damn well vinyl nerds (ie this whole community) will consider the same color record with a different cover a separate variant. Rule number 1: Deny til you die.

Gonna piggyback here and say it totally blows my mind how people consider an alt-cover a different variant. It's the same record, same actual jacket, just a cover to go with it. That, to me, is not a new variant or change how limited the record is. It's just something fun/different/special for putting out a record. I saw someone do a poll on IG as to whether or not a VC is complete without alt-covers and 80% of people said it wouldn't be complete without them. People are wonky.

3 hours ago, ZeroNowhere said:

This thread has provided some solid LOL's.  It's a fucking record that will sit on your shelf 99% of your life and not be listened to, but the tears that have been shed prove the struggle is real.

Lol I love a good math check. Let's be generous with all our numbers here. Say the youngest person chatting here is 20 years old and they'll live to be 100. Suppose they listed to this ~21 minute EP 100 times on vinyl. That indeed means that it sat unlistened to for 99.6% of their life.

So this is all still happening, huh? Neat.

Just remember that most of us will only see the spines of our records for the majority of our lives. You can tell yourself it is any variant and/or cover in there while it's on the shelf. Hell, you can even add the rarest version to your Discogs collection and NO ONE will ever know. Tell yourself enough times it is rare and you will believe it. Sure, you can gripe when you take it out to spin it, but just put it back on the shelf and - BAM - you're back to having an amazingly rare collection. That's record collecting, baby. 

This argument is even stupider than the other one. If nobody cared about dumb shit like variants and covers then the label you all are defending wouldn’t be nearly as successful. I’m sure they are extremely pleased that idiots sell out stupid variant bundles on the regular. Just let people like dumb shit even if it means that they sometimes get upset when they can’t get that stuff easily.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Wasda Deelwifkramer said:

Jade Tree sure did have some fucking amazing records. I just wish Epitaph took some more time and thought into each repress. I think there’s only 1 LP that’s not clear or clear with black. 

Either way, still a few records I need to pick up.

Edited by MyEnemy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...