Run the Jewels - RTJ4 (6/5)

25 minutes ago, Sh100by said:

You'd really like MM.. FOOD by MF DOOM haha

So I do like it, but it’s the thing where I can’t listen to it over and over again. 

I listen straight through like once every 2 years and then not touch it in between. 

This album is lean and mean, I’ll give it that much.  While I’m still not in love with the first few tracks I do feel like it’s already stronger and more consistent than RTJ3, at least.

The hook of Ooh LA LA is absurd though.  One of the album’s most memorable tracks but for all the wrong reasons, in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

This album is lean and mean, I’ll give it that much.  While I’m still not in love with the first few tracks I do feel like it’s already stronger and more consistent than RTJ3, at least.

The hook of Ooh LA LA is absurd though.  One of the album’s most memorable tracks but for all the wrong reasons, in my opinion.

I mean it's sort of obnoxious.. but knowing the samples' history (feat. In classic track Dwyck) and rtj's version feat premier .. I think it's just supposed to be a fun throwback track..

1 minute ago, thepunkguy said:

I mean it's sort of obnoxious.. but knowing the samples' history (feat. In classic track Dwyck) and rtj's version feat premier .. I think it's just supposed to be a fun throwback track..

Yep that's exactly what I get out of it. As a big fan of Gang Starr / DJ Premier's production history, I think the sample turned into a hook for this song is fun.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

I'm admittedly very unversed in hip-hop.  I'll have to look into Gang Starr and see if they're for me.

It’s all good. If you fuck with RTJ you should definitely fuck with Gang Starr. Here’s a little starter list for ya, beyond that: Eric B & Rakim, Boogie Down Productions, Nas, Big L, Mobb Deep, Company Flow, Cannibal Ox, EPMD, Big Daddy Kane,  Black Star, MF Doom/Madvillain/Viktor Vaughn, Freddie Gibbs, Denzel Curry, Digable Planets, Dead Prez.

Forgive if you’re already familiar with any of these artists. 

57 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

I'm still waiting for tetsuodaironman to come in here and throw some very on-line terminology to describe this LP. Maybe after p4k drops their review tomorrow.

this album reams gapes and slaps donkey dong. - tetsuo if the 8.0 drops

album got gaped by donkey dong. - tetsuo if the 5.0 drops