? on MOFI Records

Hi, I'm new here. 

I was wondering if anyone on here has experience with the records from Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab label? aka MOFI  like the 45rpm remasters or  even the 180gs?  A little background on me is required to understand my question.

Even though I've been collecting many years I've recently upped my game in terms of a focused interest in vinyl.  I've had my Techniqs turntable for 20+ years believe it or not.  (HARD KNOCK ON WOOD!).   I've no idea what the table sold for back in the day, it was a gift.  The tone arm is specific to a p-mount type cartridge and my research has led me to find that there's only so high in price point you can go with this variety.  So my cartridge is a very modest audio technica.  I could've paid a little more I guess but was reluctant to do so as I may have to invest in a new turntable before too long and didn't want to spend too much yet.   I'll spend more when I do upgrade.  

So what I'm wondering is if I were to purchase a MOFI record(s) would it be worth the cost given the lower price point of the cartridge/stylus?  Or should I wait til I upgrade the whole works?  

I think the only way you would notice at this point is if you had a different cut of the record to compare it to. 

sometimes the MoFi master just creates subtle differences. A better cart would highlight the master better, but really the reason people buy MoFi comes down to pressing quality and their particular master.

if you are planning on upgrading tables at some point, and have the cash for Mofi releases, go for it. Their quality is always top notch. You may not get the full dynamics, but it will still sound good. 

Edited by timsimmons

If you have your heart set on a few Mo-Fi titles that are your favorite albums, you might want to jump on the ones that are IN PRINT.

As for the ones that are not in print, you might want to spend some of that Mo-Fi money on a better table first.

At Record Convergence back in the day, they had the base model Technics turntable like you have.

They once had a HUGE Mo-Fi trade, for which I bought several titles back in the 90s.

They played some of them in the store before they sold them. The clerks claimed they sounded more detailed even on that basic deck.

From my experience, they just SUNG when I played mine on my vintage Tech 1200 when I had it.

I have read the NEW Tech 1200s sound even BETTER, but those will set you back around $1000 now.

Either way you go, happy listening!

Edited by Plarocks

Yes, all good thoughts thank you!.

I've also heard that the MOFI aren't infallible and that some are better than others.  I'd heard that the Miles Davis ones are all generally real good so thought I'd start with some of those.  I'll probably try one or two of the MOFI before I get to upgrade my table.  I think I'm mainly waiting to get some indication that my job is intact before spending much more.  

23 hours ago, NapalmBrain said:

A well mastered record sounds good no matter what, the revived MOFI has consistently quality records whereas  the original MFSL was generally hit with a few misses (Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers and Beatles MMT come to mind) some versions are definitive 

I have the Mo-Fi Beatles MMT. I bought it from that trade in at Convergence back in the day.

With the exception of the last three tracks that are in that wonky “fake stereo,” my copy sounds awesome!

I liked it better than my dad’s OG Stereo rainbow label, but that version never sounded “bad” though.

I simply don’t understand the early Mo-Fi hate. But, I have never had a $10,000 stereo system. They seem to always shine on the mid-fi set ups I have used in the past.

The only one I had an issue with is Abbey Road. It is mastered kinda low with a LOT of dynamic range.

You have to get a clean one, or it is just marred with surface noise.

Edited by Plarocks

On 5/19/2020 at 8:07 PM, Plarocks said:

I have the Mo-Fi Beatles MMT. I bought it from that trade in at Convergence back in the day.

With the exception of the last three tracks that are in that wonky “fake stereo,” my copy sounds awesome!

I liked it better than my dad’s OG Stereo rainbow label, but that version never sounded “bad” though.

I simply don’t understand the early Mo-Fi hate. But, I have never had a $10,000 stereo system. They seem to always shine on the mid-fi set ups I have used in the past.

The only one I had an issue with is Abbey Road. It is mastered kinda low with a LOT of dynamic range.

You have to get a clean one, or it is just marred with surface noise.

The German Horzu is the one to get for a true stereo MMT or so I'm told. I have the mono reissue and that's as good as it gets to me. The MOFI Abbey Road is quite good actually, the ex got that one though. I don't blindly hate early mfsl and no matter what that japanese JVC vinyl was dead quiet, but have you heard the Sticky Fingers? It's unlistenable to me. The Emmylou Harris, Dark Side, Steeleye Span, Blondie, Frank Sinatra box are all winners.  The newer stuff is just consistently good, I'd like to hear a one step without forking out the money. There are a glut of audiophile labels now and it's a better time than ever to be a collector. AP/MOFI/Intervention are doing amazing things. Blue Note with the Tone Poet series and labels like Rhino/Real Gone on the cheaper side are making incredible sounding records even for those that don't have ten thousand dollar systems. I know I don't (my whole setup is maybe worth $2000-2500) 

I have most of the Bob Dylan Mofi reissues and they all sound amazing on my modest setup.  I haven't done a huge deep dive into the quality of a lot of their other releases but something to note is that as I understand it they don't always do their remasters from the original tapes.  If it says "Original Master Recording" at the top of the jacket it was mastered from the original tapes, if it says "mobile fidelity sound lab" at the top of the jacket it means it was sourced from whatever they deemed the best available sound source was.  So even though the pressing quality is generally very high there might be some releases where you'd be just as well off with a nice clean copy of the original master if you can find it cheaper. 

On 5/20/2020 at 11:07 PM, NapalmBrain said:

The German Horzu is the one to get for a true stereo MMT or so I'm told. I have the mono reissue and that's as good as it gets to me. The MOFI Abbey Road is quite good actually, the ex got that one though. I don't blindly hate early mfsl and no matter what that japanese JVC vinyl was dead quiet, but have you heard the Sticky Fingers? It's unlistenable to me.

I HAVE the Stereo German Horzu as well. Sounds fantastic and no headache anymore listening to the last three songs on headphones. 😉

Also interesting to note that Strawberry Fields is a UNIQUE mix on my copy. “I bury Paul” is there TWICE on that version.

I have a VG+ Capitol Mono that I like as well. I don’t know why I have three copies of Magical Mystery Tour....(Oh, I have the Mono box too. FOUR? 🤪)

The Sticky Fingers I heard was the same problem as the Abbey Road. Cut VERY low with a lot of dynamic range. You have to find one in “perfect” condition to enjoy any of its advantages. 

MoFi got the hint, and later titles came with a better amount of compression, IMHO.

On 5/20/2020 at 11:07 PM, NapalmBrain said:

The Emmylou Harris, Dark Side, Steeleye Span, Blondie, Frank Sinatra box are all winners.  The newer stuff is just consistently good, I'd like to hear a one step without forking out the money. There are a glut of audiophile labels now and it's a better time than ever to be a collector. AP/MOFI/Intervention are doing amazing things. Blue Note with the Tone Poet series and labels like Rhino/Real Gone on the cheaper side are making incredible sounding records even for those that don't have ten thousand dollar systems. I know I don't (my whole setup is maybe worth $2000-2500) 

Don’t have the Emmy Lou and Blondie. Want them. 😊

I have the older version of Dark Side with the block letters. I like it! 

My system is about what your range is. The older one I had, at my parents house back in the day, was even more modest. But, I was using a new 90s Tech 1200 that was professionally set up with a Dennison Soundtracker.

I so wish I never sold that table. 😬

On 5/21/2020 at 7:26 AM, bonedigger said:

I have most of the Bob Dylan Mofi reissues and they all sound amazing on my modest setup.  I haven't done a huge deep dive into the quality of a lot of their other releases but something to note is that as I understand it they don't always do their remasters from the original tapes.  If it says "Original Master Recording" at the top of the jacket it was mastered from the original tapes, if it says "mobile fidelity sound lab" at the top of the jacket it means it was sourced from whatever they deemed the best available sound source was.  So even though the pressing quality is generally very high there might be some releases where you'd be just as well off with a nice clean copy of the original master if you can find it cheaper. 

I actually skipped the Mo-Fi issues of both the Tears For Fears albums, for $25 each, because of some bad reviews and because of the “Mobile Fidelity...” banner. Not from the master tapes like you said!

I regret that decision. I wish I just bought them to decide for myself, as the prices for them are now OUTRAGEOUS. 🤑

I am VERY happy with my US promo of Seeds, as it was pressed at Masterdisc that I got for like $7 in the 90s 😃

But, I have not found a copy of Big Chair that I like. Gonna try a Holland Mercury press that I hopefully have coming through all of this. 🤞🏻

Edited by Plarocks

On 5/22/2020 at 5:03 PM, timsimmons said:

My Mingus one step showed up earlier today. 

still kicking myself for sleeping on the Evans Village Vanguard release

was it worth it? I don't mind paying for good sound $125 seems a little out of reach, I did snag Cowboy Junkies from Analogue Productions and it was $55 but worth every penny

The Technics 1200 isn't a p-mount. My old Technics model (SL-22 i think? i'd have to look it up) was a p-mount and I had the best Audio-Technica cart for it. My setup now is very budget audiophile. Other than that, I agree w/ what others are saying above. 

The latest one I bought was Twisted Sister-Stay Hungry. It was solid; didn't blow me away. I have all the Pixies MoFi and those are great. Miles Davis-Kind of Blue I don't pull out too often bc it's like a white glove treatment, but that one is pretty amazing. 

The silver label MoFi (i forget the differences, but not as high-end as their other stuff...didn't have original master tapes or something)...Cyndi Lauper-She's So Unusual didn't blow me away; it doesn't sound really sound much better than my 99c bargain bin early pressing. But, that isn't necessarily a knock on MoFi. 

The ORG Nirvana reissues are supposedly the ones to get for audiophile pressings. I don't have MoFi to compare, but all the ORG pressings I bought have been very good quality reissues. I usually listen to ORG Nevermind for album and the anniversary box set for the extras. I don't have an original pressing to compare it tho. I do have original pressings of the others. Their Helmet reissues were good too and comparable to original pressings. 

Analogue Productions I had kinda hit/miss luck with. 

The Music Matters jazz reissues are really fucking great. You can definitely tell a different on those even on a cheap turntable. 

If you can keep the audiophile pressings in like new shape, they usually aren't too much of a risk to buy even though they cost more than other new pressings... bc you can always sell them later on if you aren't impressed, usually for more than you paid. But, rarely for less and if so, not much less. 

25 minutes ago, burntwolf said:

The Technics 1200 isn't a p-mount. My old Technics model (SL-22 i think? i'd have to look it up) was a p-mount and I had the best Audio-Technica cart for it. My setup now is very budget audiophile. Other than that, I agree w/ what others are saying above. 

The latest one I bought was Twisted Sister-Stay Hungry. It was solid; didn't blow me away. I have all the Pixies MoFi and those are great. Miles Davis-Kind of Blue I don't pull out too often bc it's like a white glove treatment, but that one is pretty amazing. 

The silver label MoFi (i forget the differences, but not as high-end as their other stuff...didn't have original master tapes or something)...Cyndi Lauper-She's So Unusual didn't blow me away; it doesn't sound really sound much better than my 99c bargain bin early pressing. But, that isn't necessarily a knock on MoFi. 

The ORG Nirvana reissues are supposedly the ones to get for audiophile pressings. I don't have MoFi to compare, but all the ORG pressings I bought have been very good quality reissues. I usually listen to ORG Nevermind for album and the anniversary box set for the extras. I don't have an original pressing to compare it tho. I do have original pressings of the others. Their Helmet reissues were good too and comparable to original pressings. 

The Music Matters jazz reissues are really fucking great. You can definitely tell a different on those even on a cheap turntable. 

If you can keep the audiophile pressings in like new shape, they usually aren't too much of a risk to buy even though they cost more than other new pressings... bc you can always sell them later on if you aren't impressed, usually for more than you paid. But, rarely for less and if so, not much less. 

I'd like to hear Surfer Rosa again but my initial reaction was it sounds too cleaned up, most people share your opinion. 

ORG Nirvana reissues are excellent

Still haven't sprung for a musicmatters yet. I am loving the Tone Poet series I just picked up Introducing Kenny Burrell today, have not heard but read positive reviews and originals are a fortune

I would agree and to think I put the pink Sea Change back in the rack and bought a couple crappy RSD titles I don't even own anymore instead. Fool am I. The standard reissue is almost as good I did a side by side at my friend's as he owns both and he sold me the standard reissue for $10 

On 5/24/2020 at 8:11 AM, NapalmBrain said:

was it worth it? I don't mind paying for good sound $125 seems a little out of reach, I did snag Cowboy Junkies from Analogue Productions and it was $55 but worth every penny

Yeah. I mean the pressing and cut are amazing. $125 is a bit much. It would be nice if they did a standard mofi pressing as well.

11 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

I will say they use a carbonless pvc for it and it’s like those old quiex pressings. Looks black until you hold it up to the light then it’s like a smokey clear but w/o wisps. It’s cool. 

That's awesome those old japanese pressings were dead quiet. Wish I had the money at the time for Blood On The Tracks, I have around 50 Dylan records and none are audiophile pressings and that or Highway 61 Revisited I would pay $125 for the listening experience

Edited by NapalmBrain
added

15 hours ago, NapalmBrain said:

I'd like to hear Surfer Rosa again but my initial reaction was it sounds too cleaned up, most people share your opinion. 

ORG Nirvana reissues are excellent

Still haven't sprung for a musicmatters yet. I am loving the Tone Poet series I just picked up Introducing Kenny Burrell today, have not heard but read positive reviews and originals are a fortune

I would agree and to think I put the pink Sea Change back in the rack and bought a couple crappy RSD titles I don't even own anymore instead. Fool am I. The standard reissue is almost as good I did a side by side at my friend's as he owns both and he sold me the standard reissue for $10 

i think the tone poet ones are done by same people who did music matters (kevin gray). 

17 hours ago, burntwolf said:

I have the Nevermind Mo-Fi.

I did compare it with the US Geffen original and it blew it away! My copy was pressed slightly off center so this Mo-Fi was a nice upgrade.

Had to opportunity to buy that Blue ORG pressing, but passed on it as I am happy with the Mo-Fi.

Rumors say that Mo-Fi made a test pressing of In Utero before they went bankrupt. They even created a catalog number!  My OG of that on the clear vinyl was better than the OG Nevermind, but I did grab a couple of the In Utero ORG pressings (black/color.)

One day I will do a “shoot out.” 🤘🏻

The Classic records re-issues for me were like the Analog Productions ones. Now they are one in the same. 😄

Edited by Plarocks

16 hours ago, NapalmBrain said:

I put back the Pink Beck Mo-Fi as well. I even had a friend of mine WARN me to buy it, as it is gonna get rare and expensive quick! 😄

BUT, I have a black Mo-Fi, and two originals. Felt silly to buy a fourth copy of an album that I already own three fold, but he WAS RIGHT! 🤑

Did you notice the Mo-Fi is an earlier mix compared to the original? From the MASTER TAPE without a doubt! 👍🏻👍🏻

1 hour ago, Plarocks said:

I put back the Pink Beck Mo-Fi as well. I even had a friend of mine WARN me to buy it, as it is gonna get rare and expensive quick! 😄

BUT, I have a black Mo-Fi, and two originals. Felt silly to buy a fourth copy of an album that I already own three fold, but he WAS RIGHT! 🤑

Did you notice the Mo-Fi is an earlier mix compared to the original? From the MASTER TAPE without a doubt! 👍🏻👍🏻

I did, the imaging was incredible, one of the better sounding records I've heard, he had really nice dynaudio speakers too. I don't think I need to pay 10 times the price right now though as the 2016 is reportedly also sourced from the tapes and cut by Golden Mastering which does have the capabilities to cut all analog.

I just started getting into the "audiophile" releases.  I just got the GD - American Beauty mofi 2LP 45rpm and The Doors LA Woman Analouge Productions 2LP 45RPM.   Also bought the UHQR Hendrix when it came out.  They all sounds fantastic even on my modest set up and absolutely DEAD quiet.  I'll probably buy the rest of the Doors albums one by one, since they don't seem to be too limited.  The Dead album was gold foil numbered, and mofi's seem to be more limited than AP.

On another note, anyone know what future Mofi or Analog Productions  are planned besides what's posted?  I know the next UHQR will be Jethro Tull, but I wonder what would be after that.  What do you all wish they would press?

I will wish one of the companies would put out some 2LP 45RPM Pink Floyd presses, one step or UHQR would be even better.  They could at least start with Meddle and Dark side.  Might be pushing it (if not impossible) to fit Echoes on one side of a 45rpm. 

That Santana One step going for over $1000 is insane, wish I had a time machine!