? on MOFI Records

8 hours ago, floyd_z said:

On another note, anyone know what future Mofi or Analog Productions  are planned besides what's posted?  I know the next UHQR will be Jethro Tull, but I wonder what would be after that.  What do you all wish they would press?

I know 4AD reissued it and I own an original but I'd love to see Gene Clark "No Other" get the audiophile treatment like double 45 one step but it's too obscure to be considered for something that prestigious. 

others include:

Fairport Convention/Pentangle/John Martyn (or is the abbey road half speed of solid air already a benchmark, have not heard, have an original US island)

Zombies - O&O

Howlin Wolf - Rocking Chair

Etta James - At Last

could see Chad (AP/QRP) doing Esquivel - Four Corners Of The World (was my first Exotica record, lost it in a breakup)

I'd like to see Chad continue the golden age of classical and tackle more living stereo and do merc living prescence and Decca's most sought after pressings and  I doubt It would ever get done as it's common and from 1980 but this is my favorite brahms double concerto and the sound quality is just ok like most angels compared to their emi counterparts, I should just buy an import pressing and give someone else my angel https://www.discogs.com/Brahms-Perlman-Rostropovich-Haitink-Concertgebouw-Orchestra-Double-Concerto/release/4267038

9 hours ago, floyd_z said:

That Santana One step going for over $1000 is insane, wish I had a time machine!

Yeah, Mo-Fi only made 1000 copies of it.

The company was generally concerned that only a few people would be interested in a vinyl re-issue for a MSRP $99.95. They were worried they would be “stuck” with a bunch of them.

However, when they realized they created the best copy of Abraxas EVER, they created their own goldmine! 🤑

Mo-Fi pressed 7500 copies of the recent Yes “Fragile” One Step, and upped the MSRP to $124.99.

After listening to You Tube rips of it, even I bought one. 😄

1 hour ago, NapalmBrain said:

I know 4AD reissued it and I own an original but I'd love to see Gene Clark "No Other" get the audiophile treatment like double 45 one step but it's too obscure to be considered for something that prestigious.

others include: Fairport Convention/Pentangle/John Martyn (or is the abbey road half speed of solid air already a benchmark, have not heard, have an original US island)

Zombies - O&O

Howlin Wolf - Rocking Chair

Etta James - At Last

Acoustic Sounds has a mint pink original Liege & Lief for $495! 🤪

I watched someone buy a Pink Island of that album for $6, from a box at the Arbutis MD record show, RIGHT IN FRONT of me. Often a day late and a dollar short in my life. 😜

A One Step “Odyssey and Oracle” would be like printing $100 bills! 🤑

Edited by Plarocks

40 minutes ago, Plarocks said:

Acoustic Sounds has a mint pink original Liege & Lief for $495! 🤪

I watched someone buy a Pink Island of that album for $6, from a box at the Arbutis MD record show, RIGHT IN FRONT of me. Often a day late and a dollar short in my life. 😜

A One Step “Odyssey and Oracle” would be like printing $100 bills! 🤑

I had a pink rim what we did on our holidays on order get cancelled by a seller and refunded, placed the order right before lockdown. it's no worries I'd have really liked it but it's understandable

my silver/gold a&m is no sonic marvel but @$495 I'll pass haha. Unhalfbricking is an RL cut so outside of superior plating the us versions are not half bad. 

I don't know if the tapes exist or are still usable , but I agree it's like printing money. If they did a mono and stereo they would get double from many 

34 minutes ago, NapalmBrain said:

I had a pink rim what we did on our holidays on order get cancelled by a seller and refunded, placed the order right before lockdown. it's no worries I'd have really liked it but it's understandable

my silver/gold a&m is no sonic marvel but @$495 I'll pass haha. Unhalfbricking is an RL cut so outside of superior plating the us versions are not half bad. 

I don't know if the tapes exist or are still usable , but I agree it's like printing money. If they did a mono and stereo they would get double from many 

There was a Pink Rim Liege Leif on Discogs for like £18. I was tempted, but I might hold off for a Porky pink rim.

Had no idea about the RL Unhalfbricking. I will have to keep an eye out!

I have found A&M Sandy Denny LPs for $5 each at Arbutis. I also forked out $15 for my A&M “Sandy” at Orpheus, but it was SO minty. 😁

I did also buy a $20 Pink Island Fotheringay last year that had a nice cover, but the record is rough. Still, even with the crackle, the sound has punch! A nice placeholder until a better copy comes around.

I need more Fairport in my collection. 👍🏻

8 hours ago, Plarocks said:

There was a Pink Rim Liege Leif on Discogs for like £18. I was tempted, but I might hold off for a Porky pink rim.

Had no idea about the RL Unhalfbricking. I will have to keep an eye out!

I have found A&M Sandy Denny LPs for $5 each at Arbutis. I also forked out $15 for my A&M “Sandy” at Orpheus, but it was SO minty. 😁

I did also buy a $20 Pink Island Fotheringay last year that had a nice cover, but the record is rough. Still, even with the crackle, the sound has punch! A nice placeholder until a better copy comes around.

I need more Fairport in my collection. 👍🏻

$15 is not bad, that is the best solo album I forked out $12 and it's a little noisier than I'd like the lighting in that shop makes it really hard to see light scratches. I have all of her solo albums including the one with the strawbs, I still need Fotheringay I should not have passed on the one at Euclid in St, Louis. Everyone needs more Fairport! It's a shame most people start and stop with Nick Drake when it comes to british folk and there is so much amazing music from that era to explore 

On 5/26/2020 at 11:53 AM, floyd_z said:

I will wish one of the companies would put out some 2LP 45RPM Pink Floyd presses, one step or UHQR would be even better.  They could at least start with Meddle and Dark side.  Might be pushing it (if not impossible) to fit Echoes on one side of a 45rpm. 

Do you have any recommendation for Floyd pressings?  I'm a little overwhelmed on where to start.  Part of me wants to have the OG 1st press for the original mix, but I'm unsure of which masters I grew up on via CD.  I do have the Meddle remaster, whichever is newest and it definitely sounds good for sure. 

Animals and WYWH are next in line, I just don't know which to get. 

3 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Do you have any recommendation for Floyd pressings?  I'm a little overwhelmed on where to start.  Part of me wants to have the OG 1st press for the original mix, but I'm unsure of which masters I grew up on via CD.  I do have the Meddle remaster, whichever is newest and it definitely sounds good for sure. 

Animals and WYWH are next in line, I just don't know which to get. 

I'm no expert, but I've heard as far as dark side... A2/B2 (2nd or 3rd UK?) is the best, A3/B3 (4th UK I believe) is 2nd, and the 30th anniversay is third.  I think finding good copies of the early UK's are difficult.  30th anniversarys are more readily available and will probably only run about $100-150.

As far as Meddle I think the UK first is probably the best, not sure how it compares to the mofi.  I'm just starting to look for a new copy of Meddle, when I went to go play mine the other day there was a copy of Atom Heart Mother in the sleeve.

I've heard in general UK pressings are better than US pressings for a lot of stuff from the 60-80s.  The UK Beatles pressings are way better than the US, just on looks alone.  Some people like Japanese pressings, they're made really well, but mixed differently with a lot of the lower end being toned down.

As far as WYWH I probably have about 5 pressings, I haven't sat down to compare them at all.  I get most of my records from garage sales, so some are more beat up than others.

I think any of the newest reiusses will probably sound pretty good.  I've been meaning to buy them all one by one, but the prices in the US seem to keep creeping up, so I'll probably get a bunch from the UK.  I have the reissues of WYWH and More and they sound pretty good to me, but I don't really have an audiophile set up

22 hours ago, Plarocks said:

Yeah, Mo-Fi only made 1000 copies of it.

The company was generally concerned that only a few people would be interested in a vinyl re-issue for a MSRP $99.95. They were worried they would be “stuck” with a bunch of them.

However, when they realized they created the best copy of Abraxas EVER, they created their own goldmine! 🤑

Mo-Fi pressed 7500 copies of the recent Yes “Fragile” One Step, and upped the MSRP to $124.99.

After listening to You Tube rips of it, even I bought one. 😄

I bought the Abraxas One-Step at my local for $100, but sold it with the Bill Evans Village Vanguard about a year ago to help pay for a home theatre. Definitely sounded amazing, but I just re-bought this copy and I can't complain for $30. Not worth the $1000 at all -- and I love that album.

the 2016 Bernie Grundmen mastered Dark Side is really great for the price, but as he mentioned the 2nd and 3rd pressing UKs are supposedly top dog (I think first pressings have some issue on Time). The Japanese pressings are very nice too, as is the 30th anniversary and the first MOFI. 

MOV has also done really great pressings, btw. They are almost all, if not all, digitally sourced, but still have been pretty great imo. I have a bunch of those. 

Plain, on the other end of the digitally sourced spectrum, almost always suck. But i have a couple that aren't terrible. As an only option until a better reissue comes along when the orig. pressing is super expensive.

Rhino is super hit/miss. For a while, they couldn't get shit right. 

On 5/29/2020 at 9:26 AM, burntwolf said:

MOV has also done really great pressings, btw. They are almost all, if not all, digitally sourced, but still have been pretty great imo. I have a bunch of those. 

Plain, on the other end of the digitally sourced spectrum, almost always suck. But i have a couple that aren't terrible. As an only option until a better reissue comes along when the orig. pressing is super expensive.

Rhino is super hit/miss. For a while, they couldn't get shit right. 

Rhino is way less hit than miss these days, often AAA releases cut by Kevin Gray that best originals for 60s/70s albums. for the price especially, that T. Rex - Electric Warrior Rocktober is incredible

Plain is shit, as is all that scorpio stuff (runt/4 men with beards/pan am/doxy/waxtime/dol) 

I agree MOV has great in house mastering they cut in the NL and only have a DMM lathe (they have cut from lacquer but they have to have it sent over, the Hendrix and Dylan come to mind) so they are often high rez digital but there is a common misconception vinyl cut from digital is bad, most would be hard pressed to hear a difference from a well mastered record cut all analog from  from tapes to one where the tapes were transferred to high rez digital. If the source material is quality, it comes down to mastering you can't always put lipstick on a pig but it is the last step of the artistic process and the first step of the manufacturing process. 

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, timsimmons said:

I can say this about Mofi, they would never have a digital step in their process without disclosing it. Can't say that about MOV.

41 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

So...you bumped this 2 year old thread for no real reason to post to contradictory things? I'm not getting it, dude.

Also, that guy in the video is tough to watch. Yikes.

1 hour ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

So...you bumped this 2 year old thread for no real reason to post to contradictory things? I'm not getting it, dude.

Also, that guy in the video is tough to watch. Yikes.

Its been a big controversy in record forums over the weekend. The hubbub is pretty funny. I'm just bored and wanted to see if people care about it here. My first post is clearly tongue in cheek if you are aware of the controversy. Seems like no one here is aware or cares. nbd.

Edited by timsimmons

At least now we know it's mostly 4x DSD sourced from the original masters (or whatever they can get, sounds like even if one track is not from the original master they use that other MFSL banner). Given the amount of test pressings they make and the constant tweaking they do to the master, no wonder they usually don't set a firm release date. I'd expect the actual master tapes would go through a lot of wear if they did all that using the tapes.

I'm not getting involved on the *other* forum