Guided by voices/Robert Pollard PO thread

Didn’t see one of these and considering how much he releases a year figured others might find it useful

the would be RSD release Vampires on Titus is up on bullmoose, probably won’t last long I guess since it was supposed to be just for Europe it can be preordered 

https://www.bullmoose.com/p/34428318/guided-by-voices-vampire-on-titus-opaque-yellow-vinyl-indie-exclusive

anybody else sign up for Hot Freaks?

6 minutes ago, Dub said:

I know this isn’t purpose of this thread, but I have to ask....where do you start with this band?  They have so many releases that when I start looking into them, I get overwhelmed and quit.

They have a best of album.  That was the first thing I ever listened to by them.  It covers everything up until the time they first broke up.  It helped me get a feel for where I wanted to start with them even though I ended up liking everything

9 minutes ago, OldKentuckyShark said:

They have a best of album.  That was the first thing I ever listened to by them.  It covers everything up until the time they first broke up.  It helped me get a feel for where I wanted to start with them even though I ended up liking everything

The best of, Bee Thousand, and Alien Lanes are good places to start.

10 hours ago, Dub said:

I know this isn’t purpose of this thread, but I have to ask....where do you start with this band?  

I get overwhelmed and quit.

10 hours ago, wellnow said:

...Bee Thousand, and Alien Lanes are good places to start.

Yeah, GBV/Pollard & fam buried three+ decades in non-stop boogie content.  But the golden age was fairly brief. 

I'd start w/ the string of albums released between 1992 & '96: Propeller (my favorite), Bee Thousand, Alien Lanes, Tonics & Twisted Chasers, and Under the Bushes Under the Stars.  Skip Vampire on Titus, except for highlights like "Wished I Was a Giant" & "Gleemer".

If you like what you hear, you'd be better advised to track down some contemporaneous singles & EPs than most earlier or later albums. Search: The Grand Hour, Get Out of My Stations, I Am a Scientist, Fast Japanese Spin Cycle, Tigerbomb, and Sunfish Holy Breakfast.  

Edited by conedust
removing beer
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...