PO: The Dear Hunter - Act I-III (Gold Vinyl, B&W Art)

On 6/22/2020 at 7:19 PM, chamb117 said:

i only checked in on VC every now and again so apologies for bumping this thread.

the B&W art with gold vinyl looks sharp as fuck as long as it's actually opaque gold and not clear piss yellow. i wouldn't expect any less than the former from triple crown, but damn.

my takes that are probably hot:

• act I is... not very good at all! at least compared to everything that came after it. extremely boring/dull to me. how can anyone listen to act I and think, yeah, this is definitely as dynamic (not to mention as well-produced) as all the later stuff? it's an absolute drag.
  • act II is better! i'm glad i didn't quit after act I because act II is dope. some no-doubt all-timers on that one. but it still has its moments where it drags.
  • casey hits his stride with act III. i have no idea how ethan (above) or anyone can find this album forgettable when it fuckin rips.
  • act IV is... also not very good at all. except "a night on the town," which is unreal how good it is. everything else on the album pales in comparison. i didn't like migrant, though, and the two were written back-to-back, so i chalk it up to casey taking a different route (that i did not enjoy).
  • i hated act V at first... but it grew into one of my favorites. and after listening to it hundreds of times i don't know how i didn't like it at first. but i think that first impression might be what deters folks like derek, too. but "the most cursed of hands," "mr. usher", "the march" – pretty easy top-10 all-time for me.
    • i agree with ethan that "beginnings" is a woefully weak closer and was such a bummer to know it ends on that note (TBD).
  • so........ act III > act V (open to switching them) > act II >>>>>>>>> act I > act IV. also open to switching I and IV, dgaf, barely listen to them.
  • to reiterate: migrant is also also also not very good

light me up, fellas

Kind of late here, but I’m just now reading this and find it quite agreeable... though I guess I should revisit Act V for kicks.  I remember really enjoying glimpses of it, and it translated so well in a live setting, but... yeah.  Act I isn’t as consistent as II or III for me either, but there’s something about the charm of the production and muh nostalgia, there.  It was so different and fresh when it released, and maybe there’s a little bit of rose tinted glasses happening there, for me.  The later albums are just so polished and squeaky clean.  Like they’re sterilized.  A big part of it, too, is that I really lost my tolerance for any kind of theatrical sound in my music since ~2009.  I can still enjoy earlier Dear Hunter, Coheed, etc. but it may explain why I seemingly lost interest in their newer outputs all at once.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2020 at 3:34 AM, Derek™ said:

Kind of late here, but I’m just now reading this and find it quite agreeable... though I guess I should revisit Act V for kicks.  I remember really enjoying glimpses of it, and it translated so well in a live setting, but... yeah.  Act I isn’t as consistent as II or III for me either, but there’s something about the charm of the production and muh nostalgia, there.  It was so different and fresh when it released, and maybe there’s a little bit of rose tinted glasses happening there, for me.  The later albums are just so polished and squeaky clean.  Like they’re sterilized.  A big part of it, too, is that I really lost my tolerance for any kind of theatrical sound in my music since ~2009.  I can still enjoy earlier Dear Hunter, Coheed, etc. but it may explain why I seemingly lost interest in their newer outputs all at once.

(also kind of extremely late here)... i strongly agree with the polished/squeaky clean/sterilized take. which i think is a big reason why act IV and migrant fall super flat for me, and also why i didn't really like act V at first. (i actually hated it.) but revisiting act V... the sheer number of callback makes it worthwhile, but also the production quality really plays up the wide variety of genres throughout the album, unlike act IV/migrant (which is very uniform in their sounds). so, hopefully you did revisit act V and you enjoyed it as much as i do. but if not, it is what it is!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Am I having a stroke? Is the bundle for all 3 albums MORE than purchasing the exact same variant of each separately??????????????

UPDATE: I was having a stroke. It's $5 cheaper. I'm an idiot and have a nice day ✌️

Edited by ethanpricington

31 minutes ago, ethanpricington said:

Am I having a stroke? Is the bundle for all 3 albums MORE than purchasing the exact same variant of each separately??????????????

UPDATE: I was having a stroke. It's $5 cheaper. I'm an idiot and have a nice day ✌️

I had the same thought and had to take out the calculator to confirm it was $5 cheaper and not $5 more haha