PO: Beach Fossils S/T 10th Anniversary Edition

1 hour ago, youspinmeround said:

This release has been milked to much. Bayonet just put out all their releases on color last year after getting Captured Tracks milked it for years

If people are still buying, what’s the issue with keeping things in print, or “milking it” as you referred to it?

I think there’s probably a difference between the two.  In my opinion, “keeping it in print“ is continuing to churn out 1 variant at a time alongside a broader black press, ensuring that it never really reaches astronomical prices.

”Milking it” is doing signed editions, VMP exclusives, bundle editions, Newbury variants, 3+ colors, test presses /50... all in the span of a year or so.

That being said, this anniversary edition looks a little weak but I’m glad it’s still in print.  Album continues to fuck after a decade and deserves to stay accessible.

4 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

”Milking it” is doing signed editions, VMP exclusives, bundle editions, Newbury variants, 3+ colors, test presses /50... all in the span of a year or so.

Besides signed bullshit and test presses, there’s no problem with anything else you listed. Literally keeping something in print, just in excess variants and through multiple sources. Unless you’re a completist, it’s not such a hot topic issue.

For this album, 3 represses in 10 years, after the initial pressing. FUCK, Mike and Dustin sure are milking a record that’s probably sold, AT LEAST, 75k units, in those 10 years.

Just now, MyEnemy said:

Besides signed bullshit and test presses, there’s no problem with anything else you listed. Literally keeping something in print, just in excess variants and through multiple sources. Unless you’re a completist, it’s not such a hot topic issue.

For this album, 3 represses in 10 years, after the initial pressing. FUCK, Mike and Dustin sure are milking a record that’s probably sold, AT LEAST, 75k units, in those 10 years.

14 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Didn't really say they were milking this release in particular.

31 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Didn't really say they were milking this release in particular.

But someone else did... Not all about you Derek.

If you’re going through multiple pressings of a record a year, especially upon initial release, you’re doing fucking well, and you should keep up the momentum. Let’s say, you have a release, you’re not too sure of, you press 500. That record blows up and you need to press more as soon as possible. People are now interested and VMP, Newbury and whoever the fuck does Indie exclusives hit you up. Would it not be in your best interest, as a label and for the band, to give people more options and branch out and work with these places? You were already going to press 1500-2000 anyways, why not have some fun with it? Is that considered “milking it”, or just helping further a release and giving people a difference in what variants they can choose from? 

Sorry to hi jack this thread with this nonsense, I just think some of the bullshit I see on here, sometimes, is crazy. 

2 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

Would it not be in your best interest, as a label and for the band, to give people more options and branch out and work with these places? You were already going to press 1500-2000 anyways, why not have some fun with it? Is that considered “milking it”, or just helping further a release and giving people a difference in what variants they can choose from?

Why can't it be both?  What you're describing doesn't feel like it needs to be 2 independent ideas, necessarily.  By this point in the discussion, I think I'm now most curious what you would define as "milking it".  Is that even achievable by your definition?

In hindsight, I think I'd like to price points as one of the factors that I consider when determining whether or not something is milked.

1 hour ago, MyEnemy said:

But someone else did... Not all about you Derek.

If you’re going through multiple pressings of a record a year, especially upon initial release, you’re doing fucking well, and you should keep up the momentum. Let’s say, you have a release, you’re not too sure of, you press 500. That record blows up and you need to press more as soon as possible. People are now interested and VMP, Newbury and whoever the fuck does Indie exclusives hit you up. Would it not be in your best interest, as a label and for the band, to give people more options and branch out and work with these places? You were already going to press 1500-2000 anyways, why not have some fun with it? Is that considered “milking it”, or just helping further a release and giving people a difference in what variants they can choose from? 

Sorry to hi jack this thread with this nonsense, I just think some of the bullshit I see on here, sometimes, is crazy. 

Sorry bud but they are milking it for a 10 year anniversary

This isnt keeping it in press because it still is in press and available from Captured Track and from Bayonett reissue in 2018

But hey, we really needed a third edition to celebrate for the 10th anniversary. Music is music. It shouldn't need new packages every year to get in in the hands of people when its easily available already

Jeez.  

wild Nothing just came out with a 10th anniversary edition of Gemini.  Beach Fossils just came out with this.  

both are killer albums.  I didnt buy either of the 10th anniversary editions because they weren’t impressive enough to make me want to buy an additional variant.  And nobody is making you buy one either. 

but there are some that want every edition so here’s another one for your collection.  There are some that have never heard of either band and they need to definitely listen to both bands and maybe buy these as their first copies.  

I think that covers it

1 hour ago, OldKentuckyShark said:

but there are some that want every edition so here’s another one for your collection.  

personally agnostic as to whether it's "milking" in this particular instance but this defense you're offering is like a perfect capture of the process of milking. collectors already had every edition of the record before this was pressed. now there's another edition that they're compelled to go out and buy. 

12 minutes ago, copelandkid said:

personally agnostic as to whether it's "milking" in this particular instance but this defense you're offering is like a perfect capture of the process of milking. collectors already had every edition of the record before this was pressed. now there's another edition that they're compelled to go out and buy. 

That’s a choice that they make.  They do t HAVE to buy it.  And they wouldn’t do it if they didn’t get some pleasure out of it.  

1 hour ago, OldKentuckyShark said:

I mean I don’t get it but it’s either that or they are choosing to do something that makes them miserable.  

was making beach fossils reference haha  

but i think the difference here is that you're looking at it from the perspective of a hypothetical buyer (and, having been around here a while and observed the most fervent of collectors in action, i would say it's probably a sort of synthesis of happiness and misery that hopefully is more happiness than not). but the accusation of milking (whether fair or not) is interested in the perspective of the seller and their motivations, decisions etc.