PO now: Orville Peck “show pony” ep

3 minutes ago, OldKentuckyShark said:

Yeah the “why did they leave their indie label?” Is always a rhetorical question

But not necessarily. I was just being stupid. That really is a good question, when considering Sub Pop, though. It seems like they treat bands very very well and have great deals with their artists so they get paid as much as they should, and probably give great advances. Just look at the bands that have stayed with the label in the last 20 years(Beach House, Father John Misty, Wolf Parade). But also the bands that have left the label in those 20 years(The Shins, The Head and The Heart, Band of Horses, Fleet Foxes), because, arguably, they “outgrew” the label or whatever. Ultimately, I guess it really can be traced back to money.

28 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

But not necessarily. I was just being stupid. That really is a good question, when considering Sub Pop, though. It seems like they treat bands very very well and have great deals with their artists so they get paid as much as they should, and probably give great advances. Just look at the bands that have stayed with the label in the last 20 years(Beach House, Father John Misty, Wolf Parade). But also the bands that have left the label in those 20 years(The Shins, The Head and The Heart, Band of Horses, Fleet Foxes), because, arguably, they “outgrew” the label or whatever. Ultimately, I guess it really can be traced back to money.

I’ve heard Orville say before that no kind of music should be pigeonholed to a certain group of people.  I know that his style of country music is something he’d like to introduce to as many people as possible.  Maybe he just thought that a major record label would give him a better opportunity To do that through promotion and distribution.

but yeah like you said Subpop has been one of the most reliable and successful indie labels for the longest time.   

6 minutes ago, burntwolf said:

what label is this one? is it somehow an import release (for US)? 

stores are getting purple vinyl too. retail is $31.99. 1234go had a PO for it but now it's sold out. no word on pressing info. 

It’s his major label debut, Columbia Records, owned by Sony.  Im sure they’ll press tens of thousands of them. 

Edited by Velocity of Sound

• 2 months later...
38 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

Actually, the Bullmoose email says it’s been delayed INDEFINITELY. 

What the fuck is going on? 🤔

On the website  I’m seeing the street date as 12/31/2025 but it will also let me add one to the cart. 

Edited by Velocity of Sound