PO: Mrs. Piss - Self Surgery

17 minutes ago, daegor said:

I don't dig the gross-out thing going on between the art and the title for sure.  But the music itself is great.

Yeah, there’s a sort of try-hard “shock value” to the whole project... not enough to deter me from checking it out or enjoying the music, but just not really my thing from an aesthetic standpoint.

5 hours ago, daegor said:

I don't dig the gross-out thing going on between the art and the title for sure.  But the music itself is great.

Yeah I’ve never understood that whole vulgar/gross aesthetic that some artists seem to go for. Or, rather as a consumer of music and merch I’ve never ever wanted to pick up a tee with swear words or gross stuff on them. I one saw The Faceless live and they had a tee for sale that was blasphemous, vulgar, and gross. Do people just buy these tees to wear to shows only?

22 minutes ago, alwaysopenmouth said:

Yeah I’ve never understood that whole vulgar/gross aesthetic that some artists seem to go for. Or, rather as a consumer of music and merch I’ve never ever wanted to pick up a tee with swear words or gross stuff on them. I one saw The Faceless live and they had a tee for sale that was blasphemous, vulgar, and gross. Do people just buy these tees to wear to shows only?

I draw the line at blasphemous. 

32 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I’m going to assume you’re on board with the choice of album art and would proudly rock a leaky vagina shirt for wow look at that points.  Correct me if I’m wrong.

I have no problem with the artwork at all. I’m actually fond of the it and think it’s fitting for this project and it’s proprietors. Would I wear it on a shirt? No, because I don’t think I care enough about this project to buy and wear a shirt. I’m 35, I don’t need or want anyone to pay any attention to me. Do you sound like a bunch of moms that would talk shit to an elementary school child for wearing a Dead Kennedys shirt, yes. 

Edited by MyEnemy

24 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

So just to be 200% clear; if the vaginal fluids on that shirt spelled out a different band’s name – an artist you were more passionate about – you, as a 35 year old adult with free will, would confidently buy one and proudly stroll around town wearing it?

That’s not what I said, but why is this your retort? Because that’s the only way someone can enjoy art and express it?? Bringing up this non existent merch item to make yourself feel better for not “understanding” or feeling “icky” by it? I don’t have a problem with this or any of Caroline Vitelli’s art. That’s the type of shit I’m into. Do I feel the need to wear it on a shirt, especially as to invoke some sort of attention? No. I’m going to assume you won’t be satisfied by this answer

and ask more stupid questions or take

my words and distort them into something else, again, and that’s fine. To me, it seems like you may have some bigger issues with it’s content and context you may want to explore in yourself.

Also, it’s fucking piss. Piss!

Edited by MyEnemy

I said the art style was weak, first and foremost.  Edgy or not, it’s sloppy and unappealing regardless of context.  It seems to me like you were the one who had to voice how “sad” it is that everyone has an opinion that doesn’t mesh with your own.  But by all means, please continue to play armchair therapist and explain to me what sort of deep-rooted insecurities I’m conveying with my posts in this thread, haha.  Consider doing some exploring of your own and check out “projection in an argument” sometime.

Not entirely. Again, the posts came off as a group moms talking shit about someone else’s kid for wearing a Crass shirt to school. To me, that’s sad and/or hilarious.

“Shocking”, “unappealing” and “sloppy” has always been what attracted me to music and art. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by MyEnemy

6 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

By those descriptors, this should work for you.

Hide contents

T8BznPq.png

https://www.arttoframe.com can pop that into a nice minimal frame for you to hang on display.

A Derek Self Portrait is definitely in my wheel house. As long as the artist signs it, I’m all for it. $12 PPD.

Edited by MyEnemy

5 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

A Derek Self Portrait is definitely in my wheel house. As long as the artist signs it, I’m all for it. $12 PPD.

GOT 'EM.

That's a severe burn because, if it were a self-portrait, and assuming I also drew it, it would make me a dick.  There's no coming back from that one.  I concede.

I guess I shouldn't be the least bit surprised that the "dude lmao edgy art is just like, my jam XD" 30-something is also stunted enough to fall back on an elementary grade zinger.  Any more personal yikes and we can bring in some Bingo boards to make things fun.

2 minutes ago, nothingnatural said:

Welp, this thread sure took a fun turn.

Classic VC shit piss show.

13 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I guess I shouldn't be the least bit surprised that the "dude lmao edgy art is just like, my jam XD" 30-something is also stunted enough to fall back on an elementary grade zinger.  Any more personal yikes and we can bring in some Bingo boards to make things fun.

👏👏👏 

I feel I should clarify, I think the art is cool and I get what they're going for.

I'm fucking squeamish when it comes to surgery, having had too many accident related surgeries myself, and been witness to loved ones that had to be rushed to the ER to have surgery.  The artistic intent is fine, but it actually bothers me, at a visceral level.

I love the art for the simple fact it pisses << (that line is supposed to be piss as well just a fyi) some people off like we see in this thread. It also actually blends well with the music of the album. I wouldn't buy a shirt but i'd spin tf out of the record if it grows on me like much of Chelsea Wolfe's work normally does and after 1 listen I can see it happening here as well. I also like the art style, if they made it photo realistic or an actual real girl pissing it would probably be a bit much. Not sure why some good church folk like Derek and his buddy are in here if they find it to be so vile? Plenty of other music and albums with pure, clean art instead of this filth.

At the end of the day this was the artists chosen expression of art. Chelsea Wolfe especially has never shy'd away from making artistic decisions that is far from mainstream acceptable. 

I’d just like to add that I’m in no way some kind of prude or evangelical Christian. I brought up that The Faceless tee I saw for sale and just marveled that they went for the triple whammy. I have no actual problem with this release, I wish them well, it was just that the cover art is Raditude-tier bad in my eyes. 

thanks for reading my blogpost

3 hours ago, hype said:

Not sure why some good church folk like Derek and his buddy are in here if they find it to be so vile?

Because I’ve been listening to Chelsea Wolfe for many years and enjoy the vast majority of her outputs?  Read my first post.  It calls out the album art for being garbage and a bit try-hard, but I specifically said that it in no way would impact my interest in checking out the release or enjoying it.  Which I do.  This isn’t a difficult concept to grasp.