Merchnow shut down for 24 Hours (6/2/20)

45 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Hope this thread doesn’t tailspin into any kind of political shitshow, so I’ll simply say that I support the awareness I’ve been seeing with this and from many of my favorite artists throughout today.

as someone who works in the music industry, i will participate and I support MN doing this. its important to shift focus on all platforms to the issues that need immediate attention so we see actual change at the end of the tunnel through all this insanity. to me this isnt a political issue, but more so a human rights issue. regardless of who you support politically, we can all agree every person deserves the same rights and respect regardless of skin color. 

I honestly didnt expect this from merchnow, but its crazy how bad things have gotten that at this point theres no way things CANT change. 

48 minutes ago, tokimedo said:

to me this isnt a political issue, but more so a human rights issue. regardless of who you support politically, we can all agree every person deserves the same rights and respect regardless of skin color. 

Sure, yeah – basic human rights are at the core of all of this, no doubt.  It should have nothing to do with whatever party you may side with or how much you may support or hate whoever is residing in the White House at the time.  But I'm just speaking from a jaded perspective, I guess, with the amount of Reddit discussions I've seen come to a halt [locked] due to political digression.  Comparably, it seems like the comment section of every "awareness" post on Facebook or Instagram wastes no time devolving into a cesspool of crass opinions, too.  I just sort of assume it comes with the territory at this point, which is pretty unfortunate.  Doesn't seem like you're trying to stir the pot or make a scene; just calling it like I've been seeing it.

32 minutes ago, se7enstitches said:

but not expecting much tbh

The most pragmatic approach with most facets of life, I'd normally say.  But I think we're probably at the lowest of low points for our nation in quite some time.  I don't know if we can afford not to change.  I hate to say it, but holding someone accountable for their actions just this once - you know, like we should be doing all the time, for everyone, regardless of occupation - is not going to be enough to scare abusers of power into cleaning up their act.  Making an example of one offender that crosses the line never seems to be a permanent solution when an issue is as widespread and longstanding as this one.  I hate to think what it'll take to get actual traction and civilian-safety laws implemented.

3 hours ago, lostcrimes said:

I think that's great but they really should ship my stuff after this 

I'm not going to question their values but this company has never had it together. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a bonus opportunity for them to catch up or take a break.

Vinyl Me Please is also down.  I only noticed because I clicked on a FB ad for their Grateful Dead box.  I'm guessing they can't really "turn ads on and off"?  Seems odd to advertise for stuff when your site is not selling anything, but hey, if it adds to the cause I'm all for it.  They are donating $25k to worthy causes.

4 hours ago, floyd_z said:

Vinyl Me Please is also down.  I only noticed because I clicked on a FB ad for their Grateful Dead box.  I'm guessing they can't really "turn ads on and off"?  Seems odd to advertise for stuff when your site is not selling anything, but hey, if it adds to the cause I'm all for it.  They are donating $25k to worthy causes.

really awesome to see. i will support VMP more now in the future. 

this may cause some controversy to say, but i think merchnow going down for the day makes a HUGE impact on middle america white kids who use their parents CC to buy band merch on the daily. maybe these kids that dont see racial and social injustices first hand and just live cush lives in suburban homes dont realize what's actually happening or that there is an actual very big problem and the grand scope of it. maybe them going to merchnow to buy shit and realizing they cant will make them take a second and think "oh fuck, this is actually serious, maybe i should pay attention" and then have them contribute towards change.

i think that alone is a win, even if it only happens with one person. 

6 hours ago, Wasda Deelwifkramer said:

I don't think you understand how virtue signaling works.

Oh, shut the fuck up you budget android.  Even “trash” bands, labels, distros, etc. are allowed to raise awareness if they choose.  It’s not on you to gauge the sincerity.  Even meme labels like SRC or Victory Records, who pedal all the heinous bands you promote here on the boards, are welcome to take a stance if they so choose.  Fuck off back to Twitter link algorithms.

3 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Oh, shut the fuck up you budget android.  Even “trash” bands, labels, distros, etc. are allowed to raise awareness if they choose.  It’s not on you to gauge the sincerity.  Even meme labels like SRC or Victory Records, who pedal all the heinous bands you promote here on the boards, are welcome to take a stance if they so choose.  Fuck off back to Twitter link algorithms.

Are you saying that Android lives don't matter?

Edited by Wasda Deelwifkramer