HELP PLEASE WITH Technics SL-B200 Tonearm Tension/Plate Won't Stop Spinning - THANK YOU!

Hello Everyone!

I'm new here. I was recently gifted a Techincs SL-B200 Turntable. The belt had rotted so I ordered a new one and just installed it last night. At first, all went well. I moved the arm and cued it down to the beginning of the record, and apart from the needle jumping forward a bit due to my then realizing it was bent slightly sideways, when it did make contact with the record, it played fine, correct pitch etc.

Since I saw the needle was bent I returned the arm to the rest and locked in place. I have a replacement cartridge/needle. The next time I moved the arm to play the record again, the turntable started making a slight grinding/clicking sound as it spins that wouldn't stop and hasn't since. Also, now even though the arm was then locked back at the return, the plate continues spinning. The stop button does nothing. I tried repositioning the belt every which way on the plate and capstan to see if that was the issue, but no change. I called my uncle who is very knowledgeable in stereo equipment and we did troubleshooting. Next, when I tried to move the arm in towards the record there was suddenly tension in the arm and if I forced it to the end of the record (my uncle thought this might reset the return mechanism inside which he suspects is the issue) the tonearm slingshots back to the rest and bounces off of it. It will not allow me to place it on the record due to the tension and the cueing control seems to not work.  If I cut power to the turntable and tap the side of turntable by the Tonearm with a rubber mallet I have,  and then try to move the arm again while there is no power, it is tension free, but then when I move the arm all the way to end position of the record and start to manually spin the plate the tension returns again and the arm slingshots back to the rest when let go.

My uncle believes the return mechanism is becoming jammed into a constant loop, which he believes is the cause of the grinding/clicking sound as the plate spins.

Any ideas as to what might be going on and how I might fix it? I've never taken a turntable apart before but I'm planning on it. I have read that the grease of the return mechanism can dry out and cause this? If that does turn about to be case, what grease and oil (brand/type) is best to use in these instances? I've never worked with greasing/oiling parts of anything really and want to make sure I buy the proper stuff to be used on turntable gears.

Whoever is reading this, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOU TIME! Your Help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Take Care & Be Safe!