PO - IDLES Ultra Mono LP (25th Sept)

• 1 month later...

Anyone else get a hold of this yet?  Think it's probably their most fun record to date, at least on first listen.  Prior albums have their own strengths and maybe some more grit, but I'd encourage no one to be deceived by the singles if you found them off-putting or too bright.  Album feels relentless – I think the lack of any slower cuts really keeps that momentum afloat.  Excited for copies to show up when they may.

2 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Anyone else get a hold of this yet?  Think it's probably their most fun record to date, at least on first listen.  Prior albums have their own strengths and maybe some more grit, but I'd encourage no one to be deceived by the singles if you found them off-putting or too bright.  Album feels relentless – I think the lack of any slower cuts really keeps that momentum afloat.  Excited for copies to show up when they may.

Kinda wanna wait til my physical copy gets here and just crank it. “Relentless” makes me really excited to jam this. Been really looking forward to this album. How do you like it compared to Joy?

7 minutes ago, Sad Heart said:

Kinda wanna wait til my physical copy gets here and just crank it. “Relentless” makes me really excited to jam this. Been really looking forward to this album. How do you like it compared to Joy?

All this should be taken with a giant grain of salt since I've only put in the one listen, but it captures a lot of the best parts of Joy for me – crazy-strong hooks, dirty guitars, and A+ grooves – and makes them the entire angle of the record.  There's nothing quite as chummy and clanking-beer-mugs-together as Danny Nedelko, nor any slow-burn ballads like June.  There was one track that began a little slow but turned out to be a brief guise before walloping you over the head.  I think you will be pleased.

Just now, Derek™ said:

All this should be taken with a giant grain of salt since I've only put in the one listen, but it captures a lot of the best parts of Joy for me – crazy-strong hooks, dirty guitars, and A+ grooves – and makes them the entire angle of the record.  There's nothing quite as chummy and clanking-beer-mugs-together as Danny Nedelko, nor any slow-burn ballads like June.  There was one track that began a little slow but turned out to be a brief guise before walloping you over the head.  I think you will be pleased.

Thank you, Derek of Pitchfork. Even more excited to hear it now. Appreciate your view, homie. 

3 hours ago, WolfGangnamStyle said:

My clear Mono edition just arrived. Wish they had packaged it a little tighter as 3/4 of the seams on the PVC are split but oh well. Got a copy of the indie exclusive on the way too. Excited to listen and compare the two!

Please do report back. I was really curious to see what a modern mono album would sound like compared to the stereo one. Just "bigger"? If it's still available might double dip.

Edited by MCDELTAT

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFt_6sGnLbM/

Looks like they deliberately "mis-printed" 1000 copies of each variant (except for the clear vinyl and the cassette) with the artwork reversed, with the cabinet image on the front and the balloon image on the back.

spacer.png

Edited by glass realms

On 9/24/2020 at 5:48 PM, MCDELTAT said:

Please do report back. I was really curious to see what a modern mono album would sound like compared to the stereo one. Just "bigger"? If it's still available might double dip.

So I don't have a Mono setup or a stereo/mono switch so I'm not really properly equipped to do a true comparison. But even playing it through my stereo setup, "bigger" would be an apt description of the sound. It wasn't a huge difference but I could certainly tell it was mixed and mastered differently.

4 hours ago, glass realms said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFt_6sGnLbM/

Looks like they deliberately "mis-printed" 1000 copies of each variant (except for the clear vinyl and the cassette) with the artwork reversed, with the cabinet image on the front and the balloon image on the back.

spacer.png

That’s that shit I do like! Too bad I went with every other variant. I did almost come close to greatness and got #665 of the clear

mono. 

And yes, mine was thrashed too.

9 hours ago, Supernaut said:

Does anybody have one of those reverse cover copies? I don’t really understand how to grab one.

they were sent out randomly so someone just couldn't order one. assuming copies of the reverse sleeve made it to shops, you'd be able to grab one there. just look for the sealing sticker to be on the right side of the cover and the hype sticker on the top left side of the cabinet image.