Enemies - New Album 2023?! (Announcement coming 3/28/23)

Here’s where it gets interesting.  I’m going to try to order for all 8 of us.  We initially shot for 7, which is $35 each.  If MyEnemy and Equinox both pay before noon, then that means Media Mail will be even cheaper for everyone in a month or so, whenever these show up.  But we technically only need 1 more payment – so, let the battle commence for the “final” (required) spot.  High noon.  Be quick.

12 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Here’s where it gets interesting.  I’m going to try to order for all 8 of us.  We initially shot for 7, which is $35 each.  If MyEnemy and Equinox both pay before noon, then that means Media Mail will be even cheaper for everyone in a month or so, whenever these show up.  But we technically only need 1 more payment – so, let the battle commence for the “final” (required) spot.  High noon.  Be quick.

If you need one more payment still, I volunteer as tribute.

Nope, spots were only threatened to be snagged by noon (PST) — so, in about 2.5 hours.  Ideally shooting for a the more, the merrier approach, though I think we’re at a threshold where we’re only saving something like $0.25 for each additional body.

Here’s a dilemma I’m facing.  I still don’t know how many copies are left but I really want to place our order.  We have the original 7 paid, plus NoWorthyIcons to drive the price down even further.  (Which means I’ll be asking for less come Media Mail time.) @EquinoxDesignLab was a last-second addition, and they’re currently the only outstanding payment.  We’re all about to dock the last boat that’s leaving — I want to include Equinox if we can (not that the savings will be super lucrative; just because it’d be a nice thing to do), but I’m concerned about keeping this thing open for someone who wasn’t in the initial group... especially if it ends up costing us, you know?  Last thing I want to do is refund everyone because it sells out, or find out only 5 copies are available.

Thoughts?

Maybe another half an hour? Should be enough time for anyone on the West Coast to be up or, at the least, check their phone and send some money.

Were you able to get a hold of the band? Just tried to see what’s up on BC and it would only let me check out with 5. Not saying that’s how many is left, you can have BC post a warning when inventory is down to 20 or less. As you already know haha 

Edited by MyEnemy

6 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

Maybe another half an hour? Should be enough time for anyone on the West Coast to be up or, at the least, check their phone and send some money.

Were you able to get a hold of the band? Just tried to see what’s up on BC and it would only let me check out with 5. Not saying that’s how many is left, you can have BC post a warning when inventory is down to 20 or less. As you already know haha 

Yeah, the band responded via e-mail around 4 AM this morning, saying 7+ should be just fine.  But they encouraged me to place an order quickly.  It was actually just brought to my attention, too, that 5 is the cart limit on Bandcamp.  Splitting the order completely defeats the purpose of the savings.  I'm going to respond to their e-mail but due to timezone differences, I'm not sure if they'll be able to get back to me anytime soon.  Oof.  If they can't fulfill all of us, I think the first 5 to show interest in this thread should probably get them.  (I know Shelby would give up his spot, I'm 99% certain, since he has an OG and doesn't need this reissue.  I had to twist his arm with the $35 price tag.  I'm sure someone could take his place.)

Going to send the band an e-mail and get this figured out shortly.  Sit tight.

3 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Yeah, the band responded via e-mail around 4 AM this morning, saying 7+ should be just fine.  But they encouraged me to place an order quickly.  It was actually just brought to my attention, too, that 5 is the cart limit on Bandcamp.  Splitting the order completely defeats the purpose of the savings.  I'm going to respond to their e-mail but due to timezone differences, I'm not sure if they'll be able to get back to me anytime soon.  Oof.  If they can't fulfill all of us, I think the first 5 to show interest in this thread should probably get them.  (I know Shelby would give up his spot, I'm 99% certain, since he has an OG and doesn't need this reissue.  I had to twist his arm with the $35 price tag.  I'm sure someone could take his place.)

Going to send the band an e-mail and get this figured out shortly.  Sit tight.

Thanks for handling this, Derek. As I've expressed to you, no harm no foul if I can't get in on this. I'm sure someone who has been pining after this release for longer than literally this month would be happy to take that fifth spot if Shelby is indeed okay giving it up and we are limited to five.

Just now, NoWorthyIcons said:

Thanks for handling this, Derek. As I've expressed to you, no harm no foul if I can't get in on this. I'm sure someone who has been pining after this release for longer than literally this month would be happy to take that fifth spot if Shelby is indeed okay giving it up and we are limited to five.

I appreciate your understanding.  I hope the 5-limit is just something the band set in place on their page to prevent hoarding, and isn't truly a weight limit for their shipping approach.

Worst case scenario.

If Shelby is out, the original 5 looks something like this:

dantheriver

(myself)

MyEnemy

tlr

bluethumb

The price creeps up to just about $37 – not too huge of a jump – but I'm not going to ask for that before placing the order.  Just know that shipping will now be closer to $5.33 – you know, the usual "Media Mail" cost that labels charge.

If that extra $2 is a dealbreaker for anyone above, or you're not that thrilled about this purchase, please let me know so I can free up your spot.  I would absolutely hate to refund the remaining buyers, but it really just depends on what the band replies with.  I'll let you guys know as soon as I hear anything.

Sorry, I guess I should've tried adding to the cart way earlier on.  Always just punched in the totals to get the exact pricing, but never physically clicked "Add to Cart".

15 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

I never tried adding to cart either, but it would let me punch in something like 14 copies before telling me enough is enough so I thought we were golden. Damn.

Super annoying.  But a valuable lesson learned for something like this, going forward.  I'm thinking back to the few group-buys I managed, and they were in direct contact with the label or webstore owner, now that I think about it.  Damn.

So what's the play here?  Because of the timezone differences, there's a chance I won't hear from the band until tomorrow.  I wish they would've given me a ballpark estimate of how many copies were left – 5?  15?  50? – because I'm unsure just how much I should be concerned with placing an order, now.  It could be worth it to submit an order for 5 just to lock them in, and then have the band add additional copies if possible, and bill me directly with a Paypal invoice for the difference.  I'm starting to doubt they can just flip a switch to increase the limit of 5, and ask me to re-order.

I’m being optimistic and think we’re good. After thinking about it more, they probably dropped the limit down to 5 once they got to the last 200 copies, which is a good move. The craziness of the weekend, it going on sale, and whatever else has died down and I’m sure the majority of the die hards already got theirs. Like I had mentioned too, can’t recall if it’s automatic, but Bandcamp does alert buyers when something is down to, something as much as 100, if I remember correctly. But most artists who run their own, set the alert when 20 to 50 are left.

I have hope the band will get back to you, there enough copies and we’ll all be good to go.

Edited by MyEnemy

25 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

I’m being optimistic and think we’re good. After thinking about it more, they probably dropped the limit down to 5 once they got to the last 200 copies, which is a good move. The craziness of the weekend, it going on sale, and whatever else has died down and I’m sure the majority of the die hards already got theirs. Like I had mentioned too, can’t recall if it’s automatic, but Bandcamp does alert buyers when something is down to, something as much as 100, if I remember correctly. But most artists who run their own, set the alert when 20 to 50 are left.

I have hope the band will get back to you, there enough copies and we’ll all be good to go.

I like your optimism.  I can't see the remaining quantities [if they were there] because I purchased a copy for myself when I realized it was selling much faster than estimated.  (There's just a "You Own This / Buy Again" button where the remaining stock would show.)  On top of that, I've seen some bandcamp pages show stock under 50, under 40, under 30, under 20, etc. etc.  I really think it's just something you can configure for your page, as a band, so it's probably up to whatever Enemies punched in.  Hopefully around ~20 or ~30.  I'm just going off of what Lewis shared in this morning's e-mail, when he specified that copies were "very close to being out of stock", verbatim.  That's the only reason I'm making such a fuss.

Anyways, happy to report that everyone is officially paid up at this point, ahead of the 12 PM goal I was setting.  Quite a roster now;

dantheriver

(myself)

MyEnemy

Shelby

tlr

bluethumb

instrumentality

NoWorthyIcons

EquinoxDesignLab

Just 1 shy of splitting up until 2 parties if we absolutely had to, too.  Not shabby.

Alright guys, I'm done overthinking this, haha.  I'm not going to count on the band getting back to me today.  I have some other PayPal activity I'm putting on hold, to keep everything "clean" at the moment, since the exact PayPal balance = everyone's payment this morning.  All ducks are in a row.

Math breaks out like this.

9 copies = $312.17.  Split 9 ways = $34.69 per LP, pre Media Mail.  Ideal.

5 copies = $183.98.  Split 5 ways = $36.80 per LP, pre Media Mail.  This is the current bandcamp limit.  We lose about $2 a person; not terrible.

4 copies = $151.94.  Split 4 ways = $37.99 per LP, pre Media Mail.  Still only about $3 extra over the ideal price point.

If you guys ask me, I'd rather split this into 2 orders and just be done with it, today.  Your payments are all good – everyone on the top of the list will just pay $5.50 in Media Mail, while the bottom 4 pay $6.50.  That's close enough for me.  I don't want to nickel and dime everyone.  At the end of the day that's still a huge savings and I don't think it's worth waiting around for a response – for inventory to change – to save $1 per person on this import.  Any objections?  All in favor?

33 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

The deed is done.  These are estimated to show up on 10/25.  I'll handle them quickly and have them en route to everybody by the end of the month, assuming I can rally up Media Mail funds in time.  I feel a lot better locking all these in, even if there truly are some 40+ left.

🙌🖤👊

Thank you, again, for everything!

Edited by MyEnemy

41 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

The deed is done.  These are estimated to show up on 10/25.  I'll handle them quickly and have them en route to everybody by the end of the month, assuming I can rally up Media Mail funds in time.  I feel a lot better locking all these in, even if there truly are some 40+ left.

Thank you!

All copies shipped.  Anyone know if DHL is wicked fast?  The estimated arrival of these is next Wednesday, the 21st.  Big if true.  Once these touch down over here, I'll send out another round of PMs to gather the last bit of shipping costs.  Cross your fingers that they arrive in good shape!

• dapeebs changed the title to Enemies - New Album 2023?! (Announcement coming 3/28/23)