PO : Deftones - White Pony x Black Stallion

19 minutes ago, fish said:

Am I the only one who wishes that I could just buy the remix album? Hoping the word "deluxe" on everything means that stand alone versions may get sold later.

Nah you're not.  Unless the 20th has something special about it, I already have White Pony.  Just looking for a Black Stallion standalone if possible.

1 hour ago, bgdesign said:

As this Deftones album was originally released, you know a second version is coming with Back to School (Mini Maggit) added.

Extremely unlikely, IIRC correct Chino talked previously about how White Pony was going to be properly rereleased the way he wanted it, and specifically said that meant that Mini Maggit would NOT be included.  He doesn't consider it part of the album.

Amazon.ca

super deluxe $143.79

White Pony (20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition) (Vinyl) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08M2FY2BK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ZPROFb0WM502J

deluxe $71.26

White Pony (20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition) (Vinyl) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08M255VW4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.RROFb99WZTYP

CD currently unavailable 

White Pony (20th Anniversary) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08M2BC738/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_eUROFb10EJSXD

It’s pretty amazing what the “Deluxe” box sets of this and Facelift contain or really don’t contain. 

Rare tracks, b-sides, demos, live material, high res, surround, etc. The remix of White Pony is definitely a cool addition. But no other musical extras? I get it, there may be somethings that different fans don’t like (I don’t really care for live material), but to include next to nothing for anybody just seems poorly thought out. 

These sets don't seem to offer very much. It's not bad to get a new copy of White Pony especially since stock of the standard edition has pretty much dried up at least in North America. But they don't even mention if the original 2xLP is remastered or newly mixed or anything like that. Not that its really needed to remix or remaster WP as it is a pretty amazing sounding record since the original release.

The standard 4xLP doesn't seem like a terrible price at $60. Its not great but its not unheard of. But more than doubling that price to include two CD's, a 24 page book and litho seems out there.

I like the idea of Black Stallion but in the end I don't think I'm that deeply in need of a remix album, the first taste of which does NOT make it sound promising, for an album that I don't necessarily champion over most of the other records. WP was the first Deftones album I ever bought and I did love it something fierce for the first 5 or so years that I knew it but in retrospect now, I'd probably put Ohms above it in terms of overall enjoyment from front to back. There are a few tracks on WP that I think are some of the best and strongest Deftones songs you could ever hope for but in its entirety it feels worn out for me. Probably due to it being the first LP of theirs I ever digested. The low points of that album feel particularly dim to me now though. I'd probably put SNW over WP as well. I'd definitely put S/T over it.

On 11/5/2020 at 2:46 PM, mcpherson123 said:

I'd probably put SNW over WP as well. I'd definitely put S/T over it.

Yes!!!  I am not really into SNW, but I think their S/T record is highly underrated!  I rank it just below WP, but before DE as far as my favorite Deftobes record.  I feel like it is the closest they come to post hard-core, which I personally like, yet the record has a ton of depth and mood in the variation of the songs.  

BTW, if anyone has a S/T hot topic press on black marble, I am looking for one.

I am planning on purchasing this version of WP along w/ BS, but I have a lot of vinyl to catch up on, so its a bit low priority for me.

Went ahead and nabbed that indie exclusive with a print from Bullmoose and may cancel or totally forget about it.

WP is a top tier album for me, but I have a copy (that, as far as I know, is gonna be the same). I'm interested to listen to BS, but I DOUBT it'll get a lot of play time.

However, learning of an intention (or even a later, reactive intention) to have it as a double album makes it a must buy for me.

Plus 60 bucks for 4 slabs o wax and a litho of the original WP cover art is not too bad for this level of a band.  

17 minutes ago, fish said:

Apparently there may be a single LP non deluxe version for under $20:

https://www.vinylmnky.com/products/deftones-white-pony-20th-anniversary-edition

How are they going to press [i]White Pony[/i] onto one slab of wax and not have it sound like butt though?  I have no horse in this particular race – so to speak – but does that mean that Bull Moose's $60 version is just 2 LPs?  The mockup shows 4.  But unless they're all 45 RPM or something, I don't understand what would fill up the remaining 2 LPs.

16 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

How are they going to press [i]White Pony[/i] onto one slab of wax and not have it sound like butt though?  I have no horse in this particular race – so to speak – but does that mean that Bull Moose's $60 version is just 2 LPs?  The mockup shows 4.  But unless they're all 45 RPM or something, I don't understand what would fill up the remaining 2 LPs.

They must have some of their info wrong, but they do have 3 different bar codes listed. That 2LP must be the 4LP deluxe set. The codes match with what BM has. And the 4LP is the super deluxe.

But $18 is too cheap to be a 2LP. That is single bad sounding LP pricing right there.

Edited by fish