PO Now - Hum - Inlet (Vinyl out on Nov 6th, digital out now)

7 hours ago, ZeroNowhere said:

Easy album of the year contender.  I do wish the drum crashes, cymbals, etc.

I see where you’re coming from. Personally I think the record sounds close to, if not absolutely perfect. I’m a drummer and I’m sort of nit picky sometimes. The snare sound is killer. 

On another note, I do have a thing for packaging and artwork. I can’t wait to see the back and inside the gatefold. The cover is great. I really like how they stuck with the minimal art approach and have the running time on there. Or at least have stuck with that sort of style since You’d prefer..I like when bands have a style and stay with it. It drove me crazy when Hot Water Music stopped using Sinclair for their cover art on some of their newer releases. 

9 hours ago, Vinyl Fury said:

However, not opting for vinyl was one of the easiest decisions on format in awhile.

Before shipping, $35 for vinyl. $10 for the CD as well as a download

I’ve never hesitated less on blindly buying a record in my life. Would have paid double. 

17 hours ago, MyEnemy said:

Listening now and remembering they played “Desert Rambler” at Dia De Los Deftones, last year, and the 400 people that were there to see them, were stoked! 

This album, obviously, fucking rules. An easy “fuck you” to anyone who tried to make a “hum record” in the last 20 years. Haha

I remember them playing a new song but didn't remember what it sounded like. Good memory. 

2 hours ago, derek123 said:

I see where you’re coming from. Personally I think the record sounds close to, if not absolutely perfect. I’m a drummer and I’m sort of nit picky sometimes. The snare sound is killer. 

Agree. I think the drum mix is stellar (the entire mix is amazing). I'm friends with the drum maker of the kit that Bryan uses now (I also play a J-M snare), and heard some earlier ideas/mixes of these songs a while back. Bryan's combination of pummeling force and restrained playing style is perfect and really helps carry these songs. I'm so glad this album is finally out there.

On another note, I hope that once this initial press via Polyvinyl is done that Matt releases it through Earth Analog and does a version with a Jay Ryan print. I need to keep that series going.

5 minutes ago, throwgncpr said:

Agree. I think the drum mix is stellar (the entire mix is amazing). I'm friends with the drum maker of the kit that Bryan uses now (I also play a J-M snare), and heard some earlier ideas/mixes of these songs a while back. Bryan's combination of pummeling force and restrained playing style is perfect and really helps carry these songs. I'm so glad this album is finally out there.

On another note, I hope that once this initial press via Polyvinyl is done that Matt releases it through Earth Analog and does a version with a Jay Ryan print. I need to keep that series going.

the initial press is Matt's press. polyvinyl is just distributing his record due to the clusterfuck of the DiH repress he tried to do on his own. 

5 minutes ago, jrodan said:

the initial press is Matt's press. polyvinyl is just distributing his record due to the clusterfuck of the DiH repress he tried to do on his own. 

I know. I didn't mean to infer that Polyvinyl had pressed it. I meant that distribution of the first press. I believe Matt plans to distribute in the future.

4 minutes ago, throwgncpr said:

I know. I didn't mean to infer that Polyvinyl had pressed it. I meant that distribution of the first press. I believe Matt plans to distribute in the future.

really? where did you hear that? i figured he was done distributing his own records after how discouraged he seemed about it last time.

4 minutes ago, jrodan said:

really? where did you hear that? i figured he was done distributing his own records after how discouraged he seemed about it last time.

via drum connection. I don't think there is a clear plan at this point, and I don't expect Matt to take over distribution completely.

Every time I hear these bands like HUM, ETID, etc who are "older" yet they still have their same general heavy sound, it make me think about all the stupid bands who feel like just because they've "matured" that they no longer can make heavy music. That's the most moronic statement ever. At what point did heavier music get a "youth only" stigma? Or when people say - "Oh I used to listen to that stuff in high school, but now I don't like it." I get it, tastes evolve. There's a lot of more mellow music I wouldn't have touched back when I was 16-18 years old, but that doesn't mean for one second that I can't turn on something heavy and jam the fuck out now. And I hope that will always be the case.

*steps off soapbox*

Edited by ethanpricington

42 minutes ago, throwgncpr said:

via drum connection. I don't think there is a clear plan at this point, and I don't expect Matt to take over distribution completely.

interesting. well if he does an art print version i will have no choice but to double dip to go along with my electra 2000,  ypaa and dih , god dammit lol

Edited by jrodan

I'll admit I never actually listened to this band before, but I remember the SRC-reissue thread of YPAA being a hot topic right around the time when I first joined VC. I saw the article about this release on Stereogum on Tuesday and "surprise-release first album in 22 years" piqued my interest so I gave it listen and wow. Loved it. Consider me a new fan.

I also listened to YPAA for the first time today and liked that too. I'll def get to their other releases at some point as well.

2 hours ago, wiscodeman said:

I'll admit I never actually listened to this band before, but I remember the SRC-reissue thread of YPAA being a hot topic right around the time when I first joined VC. I saw the article about this release on Stereogum on Tuesday and "surprise-release first album in 22 years" piqued my interest so I gave it listen and wow. Loved it. Consider me a new fan.

I also listened to YPAA for the first time today and liked that too. I'll def get to their other releases at some point as well.

All Hum is good Hum.

15 hours ago, bear801 said:

Really good.  Funny thing, i discovered them as a teen watching Beavis and Butthead lol.  I always think of that

I think a lot of people underestimate just how influential Beavis and Butthead was, music-wise. I wouldn't be into a huge amount of music that I'm into if it weren't for that silly show.

15 minutes ago, thievesdont said:

I think a lot of people underestimate just how influential Beavis and Butthead was, music-wise. I wouldn't be into a huge amount of music that I'm into if it weren't for that silly show.

The commentary on the music videos was the best part! 😄

Edited by Plarocks

23 minutes ago, thievesdont said:

I think a lot of people underestimate just how influential Beavis and Butthead was, music-wise. I wouldn't be into a huge amount of music that I'm into if it weren't for that silly show.

Yes!   Shudder to Think is another i discovered.  I remember they had Sugar Ray on there when they were still trying to be metal lol

1 hour ago, thievesdont said:

Exactly. It was exposing a wider, definitely younger and unaware audience to 120 Minutes types bands. I totally didn’t start paying more attention to that side of the underground before seeing that stuff on B&B. It was just post-Nirvana Radio alt rock(which is how I became a Hum fan. Stars was in heavy rotation at our local station) and post-Green Day punk, in my world. Seaweed, Archers Of Loaf, Hum, Sausage, Built To Spill, Pizzicatto Five, Ween, Helium. Then you have the other end with metal bands I had never heard before, blowing my young mind(Death, Cannibal, Mercyful, Napalm Death). Great time to be a child glued to a TV.