Every Time I Die - Album 9

4 hours ago, alwaysopenmouth said:

I think gutter is so low on a lot of lists because of the production. I would love for that record to get a remaster, and the record has really underrated cuts like “champing at the bit” and “l’astronaut” while also having songs that are played all the time like “the new black” and  “bored stiff”

i am amenable to this opinion. all songs you mentioned are jams, and yes, i think a remaster would work wonders on this album -- although i also think it's their slickest album, when really for them the grimier the better

I can't imagine an ETID livestream holding a candle to how insane those holiday shows they throw are.  But they continue to be one of the best live bands around because of their energy, humor, and enthusiasm and I bet a livestream would still be pretty fun.

As far as 'being over' livestreams, I can feel that.  I've watched a number of them this year, some low-key and free, one was pay-if-you-can that was waaaay more professional than expected, and one buy-a-ticket thing that was super professional and pretty decent.  They range in quality.  And bands that tour as full-time jobs I get how this may be a somewhat necessary option just to keep the lights on, so to speak.  Luckily, most of the ETID guys have careers outside the band they can fall back on (Jordan as a graphic designer, Keith as a professional writer, Andy as a wrestler) so the livestream thing may be part 'we need money', part 'we just really miss doing this'.

As far as favorite records go I think the last few records have been really awesome, like doubling down on the aggressive/fast stuff (especially "Ex-Lives") and I'm a huge fan of the earlier stuff too like "Last Night In Town" probably because I grew up in Central/Western NY and was around right when they got started.

Here's also an early song of theirs that never was re-recorded, or appeared on any other release for those who want to dig deep:

https://hexrecords.bandcamp.com/track/affection-at-gunpoint

8 hours ago, NoWorthyIcons said:

Lots of bands say their latest release is their best, which makes sense in theory, but the people who are consuming them usually have differing opinions.

ETID might be the best example of a band for me that actually follows that pattern. I think almost every record they’ve released is better than their last, which is what makes them one of my favorite artists. The only exception would be Hot Damn! > Gutter Phenomenon, imo.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Except for me it would be FPU > Ex Lives > Low Teens > the rest in descending date order. 

55 minutes ago, hexrecords said:

I can't imagine an ETID livestream holding a candle to how insane those holiday shows they throw are.  But they continue to be one of the best live bands around because of their energy, humor, and enthusiasm and I bet a livestream would still be pretty fun.

As far as 'being over' livestreams, I can feel that.  I've watched a number of them this year, some low-key and free, one was pay-if-you-can that was waaaay more professional than expected, and one buy-a-ticket thing that was super professional and pretty decent.  They range in quality.  And bands that tour as full-time jobs I get how this may be a somewhat necessary option just to keep the lights on, so to speak.  Luckily, most of the ETID guys have careers outside the band they can fall back on (Jordan as a graphic designer, Keith as a professional writer, Andy as a wrestler) so the livestream thing may be part 'we need money', part 'we just really miss doing this'.

jpeg
Amazon Investment
People get rich by investing in Amazon
www.big-money.com

As far as favorite records go I think the last few records have been really awesome, like doubling down on the aggressive/fast stuff (especially "Ex-Lives") and I'm a huge fan of the earlier stuff too like "Last Night In Town" probably because I grew up in Central/Western NY and was around right when they got started.

Here's also an early song of theirs that never was re-recorded, or appeared on any other release for those who want to dig deep:

https://hexrecords.bandcamp.com/track/affection-at-gunpoint

Been into the band since I picked up Last Night In Town on cd in 2002. First time I saw them was in 2003 opening for Poison the Well along with This Day Forward. Those first two albums are chaotic but hold a special place with me always. I still know all the words to The Logic Of Crocodiles off by heart! 

Kid Gorgeous was another great Buffalo band. Anterrabae was a jam too but they were from Long Island. The good ol days

1 hour ago, dapeebs said:

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Except for me it would be FPU > Ex Lives > Low Teens > the rest in descending date order. 

Low Teens took a bit longer to grow on me than those other two, but eventually it claimed the top spot.

38 minutes ago, INRIhab said:

First time I saw them was in 2003 opening for Poison the Well along with This Day Forward

Damn, Poison the Well wsg ETID? Sounds amazing. Wish I had caught PTW at some point.

1 hour ago, INRIhab said:

Been into the band since I picked up Last Night In Town on cd in 2002. First time I saw them was in 2003 opening for Poison the Well along with This Day Forward. Those first two albums are chaotic but hold a special place with me always. I still know all the words to The Logic Of Crocodiles off by heart! 

Kid Gorgeous was another great Buffalo band. Anterrabae was a jam too but they were from Long Island. The good ol days

Kid Gorgeous were always thought of as ETID Jr, even though both bands basically started at the same time.  Plus, John from Kid G was the first bass player for ETID until Aaron stepped in as they were getting ready to put out "Last Night In Town"

17 minutes ago, hexrecords said:

Kid Gorgeous were always thought of as ETID Jr, even though both bands basically started at the same time.  Plus, John from Kid G was the first bass player for ETID until Aaron stepped in as they were getting ready to put out "Last Night In Town"

Yeah and Steve from ETID was in KG as well! Man, Hot Damn and KG's This Feeling Gets Old were my jams back in '03.

Last ETID Christmas show I went to was in 2010 at Mohawk Place.  Back when I used to cross the border from Ontario to hit up Buffalo shows. Pretty sure it was a few days after Christmas but I remember Kid Gorgeous was the opener. That was a great at show!

1 hour ago, NoWorthyIcons said:

Low Teens took a bit longer to grow on me than those other two, but eventually it claimed the top spot.

Damn, Poison the Well wsg ETID? Sounds amazing. Wish I had caught PTW at some point.

Yeah first time seeing ETID and PTW, both coming hot off the releases of Hot Damn and You Come Before You!

11 hours ago, no.one said:

My first comment on this site is to point out that Last Night In Town is getting seriously overlooked, hardly even being mentioned here --some gems on that one. Emergency Broadcast Syndrome, Here's Lookin at You,  Punchdrunk Punkrock Romance, the middle minute of Pincushion is one of my favourite in hardcore music from the 2000s, and the instrumental track that leads into and introduces the riff in Logic of Crocodiles is kinda genius.

I'll ignore the Burial Plot Bidding War ep, but that's got some fantastic moments too, even if the vocal processing was terrible...

Great first post.  I like it.  I like this entire conversation.  I love how greatly the specific album opinions vary yet we all agree strongly that ETID fucking rules.  I need to learn Last Night In Town...  I know Crocodiles a bit, but the rest, I do not.  I got on the bandwagon circa 03, and it's not often I go back in time and learn earlier work of a band.  I do, don't get me wrong, there are a couple exceptions.  But from when I jump on board or discover and on, is what I know best.  

And honestly, I think I need to learn Ex Lives as well, as I also agree it's been my least favorite.  Bimbos is a smash hit, and one of their most fun live, but beyond that, not much caught on with me.  Also to V3xed, New Junk sneaky great...front to back, no filler, bonus tracks Gotdamn Kids & Buffalo 666...For The Record...The Sweet Life is one of my favorite ETID songs all-time.  Contends for 2nd place (with Gutter) for 2nd best for me.

4 hours ago, INRIhab said:

Yeah and Steve from ETID was in KG as well! Man, Hot Damn and KG's This Feeling Gets Old were my jams back in '03.

Last ETID Christmas show I went to was in 2010 at Mohawk Place.  Back when I used to cross the border from Ontario to hit up Buffalo shows. Pretty sure it was a few days after Christmas but I remember Kid Gorgeous was the opener. That was a great at show!

Oh shit, I forgot Steve was a part of that!  I lived in Buffalo from '97-'99 so I was lucky enough to see the first few ETID shows and even book them once or twice.  I grew up in Syracuse and right after leaving Buffalo went back there where ETID would come down to play all the friggin' time.  Their shows were always totally nuts, especially at Hellfest.  I think it was either their 2001 or 2002 set where Keith didn't say anything between songs, but instead they just played samples from a live Pantera record.  Hilarious.

Any idea if the 2 song release next week is gonna get pressed on vinyl? I wish they'd repress some of those older records.  I sold most of my etid collection from Hot Damn to Ex Lives while I was in college and comically poor and I regret it.

Wish I could hear the new record too. I think it might be a 2xlp which will be fucking awesome. I guess the band is sitting on the record until they can tour again which is understandable but sucks all the same. With the way this cabal of morons running the us gov has handled the pandemic this year it will be a while before they can tour America. New record in 2026?

Don't feel much of a way about Burial Plot or Last Night in Town, but everything from Hot Damn onward is quite wonderful. I think Big Dirty is probably my etid LP but I can also see the argument that Low Teens is their best record too tbh. Best band

18 hours ago, platonicplatypi said:

Any idea if the 2 song release next week is gonna get pressed on vinyl? I wish they'd repress some of those older records.  I sold most of my etid collection from Hot Damn to Ex Lives while I was in college and comically poor and I regret it.

Wish I could hear the new record too. I think it might be a 2xlp which will be fucking awesome. I guess the band is sitting on the record until they can tour again which is understandable but sucks all the same. With the way this cabal of morons running the us gov has handled the pandemic this year it will be a while before they can tour America. New record in 2026?

Don't feel much of a way about Burial Plot or Last Night in Town, but everything from Hot Damn onward is quite wonderful. I think Big Dirty is probably my etid LP but I can also see the argument that Low Teens is their best record too tbh. Best band

It’s definitely a 2 x lp