Every Time I Die - Album 9

52 minutes ago, chamb117 said:

forgive me for dwelling on the details (or lack thereof), and do not mistake me for taking sides, but: if ETID allegedly wanted to move on without keith, why didn't they just... move on without keith. like, if keith is justified in preserving himself and leaving the band, why are the remaining four members agreeing to dissolve everything? it just doesn't make sense to me. i hope it was a misunderstanding but at this point it doesn't really matter if it was or wasn't, and we won't really ever have clarity either given the two sides of this. but it's just not adding up for me. (while my wife keeps telling me "plenty of bands have broken up over misunderstandings" while i go full charlie kelly conspiracy gif)

do you really think fans would accept ETID without keith? highly unlikely. yeah, they could just get someone else, get a new name and write new material, starting from scratch, but theyd have to sound pretty different to get traction IMO (think Prophets of Rage, who wants to listen to that when there’s the original lineup and material?) and if they break out any ETID tracks at shows i think die hard fans might turn on them a bit and it would definitely fuel bad blood with keith.

things don’t really add up on either side, i can’t place this solely on keith. it really seems like he’s not well and needs help, time away to get his shit together, and that letter he posted was definitely a “we want you out of the band” move. we’ll never really know the full story, even if they make up, maybe not to be a band again but just be friends, all the details will never come out. and they shouldn’t, really.

It's certainly a weird one. Can't have ETID without Keith's vocals or Andy/Jordan's writing style really. Those three are the only ones who've been around the whole time and in due course, that'll be one of the key reasons for their longevity.

Given how messy this all is, I can't help but think that whatever new venture they decide to do is going to be starting with a huge uphill battle against ETID's legacy.

3 hours ago, SNEAKORDS said:

...and they shouldn’t, really.

Why not?  I never understand why news like this has to be a secret.  I understand if someone involved is a minor, but why is Yellowcard's drummer such a dick and they wanted him out of the band?  "No, you can't know that, it's a secret." Alright, whatever. Yeah, I kinda went off the rail there, but you get what I mean.  But let's not talk about it.

Anyways, who knows what's true, and what isn't.  I've read some things about the band discussing what they were going to do when Keith took time off for mental health, and his interpreting that as they were trying to replace him.  I don't have time to figure out how to copy and paste, but go look at Andy's explanation/post on Instagram.  It seems pretty telling.  (And he also clarifies they do not have, nor ever did have, a desire to continue as a band with a different singer.)

Another thing that's been talked about, take it for what you will, is band members Keith and Angie Ono's interview with Revolver, which was released the day shit originally hit the fan a month ago.  I plowed through the whole thing, but the main highlights are around the 33 minute mark, up through 40 minutes, roughly.  He, in a very bizarre way, explains that something fishy is going on, on tour with the boys.  Angie will let you know all about it.  And Keith will then explain how you have to completely give yourself to someone, and see what they do with it.

One night on the recent tour, they went live on Twitch from the hotel room post-show.  I thought it might be something fun and interesting, and all it was, was them talking on the bed.  I don't even remember what they were talking about.  Bowling, or something.  But it had the weirdest, most uncomfortable vibe, I questioned why they were streaming it and I had to turn it off.  

Edited by verb1999

Really feels like everything is going south when Keith started dating his current girlfriend. He toured separately because he wanna stay away from the drinking, partying lifestyle. But, someone pointed out on fb saying Andy is straight edge since forever and Goose doesn’t drink, so… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It reads more like the rest of the band were saying “let’s put this band to bed for good, and Keith have to agree not to use the name ETID anymore in future activities”, but Keith seems like not responding to them at all?

1 minute ago, N8TRU said:

There's definitely a lot we don't know but I'm not buying Keith's side of it anymore. Posting the letter was super childish imo.

Agreed.  I can see his brother being a dick, I don't think that's much of a reach - but that's brother shit.  Everyone other than Keith seems level headed in this situation.  And regarding the cease & desist - could that have been brought on not only to protect themselves, but to also put Keith's mind at ease?  He was clearly unhappy at the thought of the band playing shows without him (karaoke style), so this scenario would prevent that from happening - seems mutually beneficial and mature given the circumstances.

12 hours ago, SNEAKORDS said:

do you really think fans would accept ETID without keith?

FYI, my point was rhetorical—i think the band knew that keith is a unicorn lyricist/vocalist. moving forward without him after 23 years is genuinely insane. i don't think that was lost on them, hence why it still doesn't add up.

anyway, in addition to all the other anecdotes being shared, one thing i thought was weird—as someone who also has dealt with a lifetime of depression and anxiety—is how defensive keith was to the band announcement that he'd take the last few nights off from tour. i read that as: this is a dude proactively caring for his mental health. that's super dope. folks should respect that decision, even if it costs the band a few shows at the tail end of a tour. i literally did not think twice about the announcement.

but then keith came out swinging, saying he's taking off time for self-preservation, to shield himself from his brother, whatever. again, if they chose to handle everything privately and work past it, i literally would not have thought twice about the announcement. we all went through some shit the last two years. i wouldn't blame anyone for needing a few days' rest. but he was a wounded animal, and he dragged his brother and the band thinking they dragged him. and i don't doubt for a second that jordan can be an asshole (tbh that might be his charm, weirdly!) but... man.

to everyone else's points above showing how it does add up: it just really, really does not add up!

8 hours ago, verb1999 said:

One night on the recent tour, they went live on Twitch from the hotel room post-show.  I thought it might be something fun and interesting, and all it was, was them talking on the bed.  I don't even remember what they were talking about.  Bowling, or something.  But it had the weirdest, most uncomfortable vibe, I questioned why they were streaming it and I had to turn it off.  

this was weird!

That definitely comes across as the most "sound of mind" statement or interview he has given in a while, but I'm sure the lawyers scrubbed it before he was allowed to post since, as he states, he is playing by the rules.  I don't know what to think at this point.  The pandemic did change people, and Keith has clearly evolved his beliefs and actions into what seems, on the surface, to be a whole new identity.  The political differences between he and his brother obviously caused a rift, but I can't imagine that being the breaking point of this band.  

I don't agree with his assessment that he was fired from the band.  That's not the way I read the legal documents, but I think his statement is carefully worded to imply that is how he interpreted it.  Fair enough.

Not sure his recent track record has me believing his side of the communication breakdown, but who knows.  

When all is said and done, maybe this is actually the best path forward for ETID.  They never made a bad record - but Keith is different now - and I'm not sure the person he's become is the person I could relate to like I have for the past 20 years or so of listening to them.  

If we want to play HxC fantasy draft, maybe the politically-minded Keith could help revive United Nations.  Then the rest of ETID could join forces with Aaron Bedard or Greg Puciato....

Just now, TheWindBlower said:

The political differences thing with Jordan jumped out at me for sure. It's a strange statement from Keith, but this whole situation is just weird. The capitalizing of "Truth" throughout the document was also weird to me.

I think that’s possibly a sober/religious thing. 

It's been brought up here, but the political differences 100% go back to Jordan's wife being a QAnon follower.  Being a Trump supporter is one thing that possibly could have been discussed with but when she was going on and on about the lunacy that Qanon brings, it brought his relationship with his brother to a standstill, I guess.  

5 minutes ago, IntoXAnother said:

It's been brought up here, but the political differences 100% go back to Jordan's wife being a QAnon follower.  Being a Trump supporter is one thing that possibly could have been discussed with but when she was going on and on about the lunacy that Qanon brings, it brought his relationship with his brother to a standstill, I guess.  

I didn't know that and that's incredibly sad. From what I've seen in interviews, documentaries, etc. QAnon followers will lose their entire family if it means they're following Q and the great exposure they believe is coming. I can see why that's causing a rift.

26 minutes ago, IntoXAnother said:

That'll do it, yeah. That's such a shame.