PO - The Flaming Lips - American Head (2nd Oct)

11 minutes ago, Plarocks said:

Why do these record companies INSIST on packaging $50 collectable records in those HORRIBLE PVC sleeves that slowly destroy the vinyl?

For $50, use a damn mylar sleeve...🤪

You could always switch them. I dont know many records that you dont have to actual sleeve anyways

13 minutes ago, Plarocks said:

Why do these record companies INSIST on packaging $50 collectable records in those HORRIBLE PVC sleeves that slowly destroy the vinyl?

For $50, use a damn mylar sleeve...🤪

It's Big Inner/ Outer Sleeve (BIOS) pressuring the industry so they can boost sales. #staywoke

3 hours ago, youspinmeround said:

You could always switch them. I dont know many records that you dont have to actual sleeve anyways

I will be switching it, IF I buy the deluxe. 

Only problem is on the UK version, they are doing some sort of custom printing for the “eyes” on the cover.

When I switch it to a polyethylene sleeve, it will be missing some of the artwork.

For $50, they should use something that doesn’t slowly outgas, and will essentially corrode the vinyl over time.

I know, “first world problems.” 😄

3 hours ago, youspinmeround said:

Anyone who is preordering a Flaming Lips record in 2020 is someone who likes gambling. If I put their quality material from the last 15 or so year on 1 record, it would be a 10 inch EP

Strongly disagree. If we're talking just the straight up studio albums, I could make a 10" of my least liked but it wouldn't be easy. 

Just now, deftbarley said:

Put on some headphones and listen to "Almost Home" from Oczy. Wait until that sweet breakdown about halfway through. You'll want to listen to that part on a loop. And Embryonic is so fucking good. 

I meant I get why it's hated not that I didn't like it, I know what you're talking about and agree. Also, the b-side from the Space Oddity single fits perfectly on the album (forgot between which two tracks off the top of my head but there are frogs in the outro of whatever preceeds it) and I wish they used it on the 2LP version.

2 minutes ago, Sh100by said:

I meant I get why it's hated not that I didn't like it, I know what you're talking about and agree. Also, the b-side from the Space Oddity single fits perfectly on the album (forgot between which two tracks off the top of my head but there are frogs in the outro of whatever preceeds it) and I wish they used it on the 2LP version.

Ah yes. Sorry. Didn't mean to imply that. The B-Sides are always great too!

Just a heads up that it looks like the official band site (marble, first link in op) has been switched out to the second limited color. I assume that the items were incorrect this morning, though I don't know. Whatever reason, it's more than a bit frustrating if you happened (like me) to order item originally posted.

Edited by tvrec

Been a huge Lips fan since '93.  

Embryonic was the moment they collapsed as a band, and chose to become a caricature of themselves. Wayne cheated on his partner of 20+ years with a 19 year old groupie, got her pregnant, started doing drugs again (at 50 years old), fired the drummer,  and gave up on the songwriting that made them famous. We'd have a shit ton of amazing Lips songs right now had he not gone through a debilitating and ultra-cringey midlife crisis. 

"Look at how weird we are" works when you have the tunes to back it up. When you don't... it's just... embarrassing. 

I didn't say Embryonic was bad. I said it was the tipping point. 

Here's their new one from this album...

Dude, this is objectively bad. The band sounds like they aren't even trying, and Wayne's auto-tuned, half-baked musings about religion and love are uninspired and Lennon-lite. Personal feelings about Wayne aside, it doesn't even hold a candle to some of their best work, and Drozd shares responsibility as the main composer of the music.

The Lips provided me with some great musical insight and amazing times at their shows, and I wish them the best... but I just can't do it anymore.  

10 minutes ago, cannonfunk said:

I didn't say Embryonic was bad. I said it was the tipping point. 

Here's their new one from this album...

Dude, this is objectively bad. The band sounds like they aren't even trying, and Wayne's auto-tuned, half-baked musings about religion and love are uninspired and Lennon-lite. Personal feelings about Wayne aside, it doesn't even hold a candle to some of their best work, and Drozd shares responsibility as the main composer of the music.

The Lips provided me with some great musical insight and amazing times at their shows, and I wish them the best... but I just can't do it anymore.  

You can have your own opinions on the music, I think the song (as well as the kings mouth album) have been some of their best work since Yoshimi . As far as his personal life goes, you sound like a TMZ level  dipshit.