PO - The Flaming Lips - American Head (2nd Oct)

17 minutes ago, cannonfunk said:

I didn't say Embryonic was bad. I said it was the tipping point. 

Here's their new one from this album...

Dude, this is objectively bad. The band sounds like they aren't even trying, and Wayne's auto-tuned, half-baked musings about religion and love are uninspired and Lennon-lite. Personal feelings about Wayne aside, it doesn't even hold a candle to some of their best work, and Drozd shares responsibility as the main composer of the music.

The Lips provided me with some great musical insight and amazing times at their shows, and I wish them the best... but I just can't do it anymore.  

Their most popular song is about toast

1 hour ago, cannonfunk said:

I thought it was about acceptance of alternative cultures. 

Oh god you're one of those people

Wayne Coyne:

"Sometimes, people think, "Wayne, that's such a quirky song," but I don't think it is. To me, if you were around me, you would think, "Oh yeah, you guys are sort of like that." I think that that song -- probably because I've said it -- people have taken it as meaning sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll. When people say, "She Don't Use Jelly," they always think I'm referring to some kind of sex jelly or something, you know? But I wasn't! When I was writing this song, it was simply about, instead of putting butter and jelly on toast, we were talking about putting Vaseline on toast, tricking someone. Sometimes, we would think that the butter we were using was basically just grease anyway. So, it was based on this silly, but realistic version of what was happening in our lives."

19 hours ago, Plarocks said:

I will be switching it, IF I buy the deluxe. 

Only problem is on the UK version, they are doing some sort of custom printing for the “eyes” on the cover.

When I switch it to a polyethylene sleeve, it will be missing some of the artwork.

For $50, they should use something that doesn’t slowly outgas, and will essentially corrode the vinyl over time.

I know, “first world problems.” 😄

The Lips webstore now says their limited edition copies will also have holographic eyes .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hmmm....it appears Bella Union broke the street date. 

Anyone else receive this email? 

Order Update: American Head - The Flaming Lips

Order Number: 
Order Date: 26 June 2020, 18:30 UTC

American Head - The Flaming Lips: Vinyl, 2×LP (Deluxe) - Bella Union Exclusive limited to 500 copies.

Dear Customer,

Thanks for placing an order for American Head - The Flaming Lips on the Bella Union store.

Due to a data issue our warehouse has shipped your Flaming Lips – American Head order two weeks ahead of its release date.

This is obviously not an ideal situation for the band or us as a label so we would really appreciate your discretion and understanding that you have received this early.

Thanks in advance,

Bella Union x

3 minutes ago, BeerMonger said:

Hmmm....it appears Bella Union broke the street date. 

Anyone else receive this email? 

Order Update: American Head - The Flaming Lips

Order Number: 
Order Date: 26 June 2020, 18:30 UTC

American Head - The Flaming Lips: Vinyl, 2×LP (Deluxe) - Bella Union Exclusive limited to 500 copies.

Dear Customer,

Thanks for placing an order for American Head - The Flaming Lips on the Bella Union store.

Due to a data issue our warehouse has shipped your Flaming Lips – American Head order two weeks ahead of its release date.

This is obviously not an ideal situation for the band or us as a label so we would really appreciate your discretion and understanding that you have received this early.

Thanks in advance,

Bella Union x

Lol. I did. I’m pumped about it! I ordered overseas, so I’ll probably get it right on street date anyways. 

2 minutes ago, Shelby American said:

This is the first time I've seen vinyl accidentally get shipped early lol.

Me too, but unfortunately we probably won't GET it early. This is the email I sent in reply to their request for not sharing:

Don't worry! Not only will I be discreet, but with the current state of attack on  the United States Postal Service by the current administration, I'd be surprised if it showed up a) reasonably around release date b) early or c) at all. Please rest assured and fret not! 

1 minute ago, Fowty Dollaz said:

Me too, but unfortunately we probably won't GET it early. This is the email I sent in reply to their request for not sharing:

Don't worry! Not only will I be discreet, but with the current state of attack on  the United States Postal Service by the current administration, I'd be surprised if it showed up a) reasonably around release date b) early or c) at all. Please rest assured and fret not! 

Ha you never know. I ordered from the US store either way (since all my Flips LPs are Warner Bros I needed to keep it that way lol)

Just now, Shelby American said:

Ha you never know. I ordered from the US store either way (since all my Flips LPs are Warner Bros I needed to keep it that way lol)

I just had to have that PVC so I could put the record on in a few years and be disappointed with the film on it. Also the autographed print.

It really is hit or miss. I had a 7" come in from Estonia in a week+, but I have two LPs on the way from Germany for like a month. 

I got the Psychedelic Furs new one in from AZ (to CT) in a week, but my Lawrence Arms preorder lived in the LA sort facility for a month. 

Take away my rights, suppress voters, send me back into work to guarantee me or lots like me get COVID- whatever, but start fucking with my post office and it's WAR.  #dumptrump 

3 minutes ago, Fowty Dollaz said:

I just had to have that PVC so I could put the record on in a few years and be disappointed with the film on it. Also the autographed print.

It really is hit or miss. I had a 7" come in from Estonia in a week+, but I have two LPs on the way from Germany for like a month. 

I got the Psychedelic Furs new one in from AZ (to CT) in a week, but my Lawrence Arms preorder lived in the LA sort facility for a month. 

Take away my rights, suppress voters, send me back into work to guarantee me or lots like me get COVID- whatever, but start fucking with my post office and it's WAR.  #dumptrump 

The US version has that stuff too it's just a more boring color. Those Mofi rice paper inner sleeves do wonders to prevent outgassing, I haven't had it happen to records that aren't stored touching the plastic yet but fingers crossed lol. What really sucks is buying something years later and not knowing how bad its gonna be when you know it comes in a pvc sleeve... ugh flashbacks.

Right now I have things arriving at three different places so my ability to gauge delivery times hasn't been great

20 minutes ago, Shelby American said:

The US version has that stuff too it's just a more boring color. Those Mofi rice paper inner sleeves do wonders to prevent outgassing, I haven't had it happen to records that aren't stored touching the plastic yet but fingers crossed lol. What really sucks is buying something years later and not knowing how bad its gonna be when you know it comes in a pvc sleeve... ugh flashbacks.

Right now I have things arriving at three different places so my ability to gauge delivery times hasn't been great

Oh. Haha, I didn't even know about US version. I DO really like that color and look forward to seeing it. It looks like a handpoured Graveface or Waxmage coloring (without the skill of WM).

Thanks for the tip on the Mofi sleeves, I actually just ordered more with that first Keb Mo album.

Honestly there is no way to really gauge. It's all over the place.

Edited by Fowty Dollaz

52 minutes ago, lethalenforcer said:

How has the BU /500 not sold out after so long? The signed batch stateside was gone, what, that first night? Next day?

I need to grab a copy before I regret not doing so...

Yeah surprised at that, that's the one I ordered (and will arrive 2 weeks early!) 

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Shelby American said:

Album is out today and I'm laughing at the naysayers. Really excited to get this in the mail, seems like the US version isn't ready yet though which is annoying...

black vinyl is available today but the indie exclusive pink/blue won't be in stores till 10/2