PO - Sufjan Stevens - The Ascension LP

also this record is supposed to be like a Sufjan pop record so I'm excited for that haha

"The album is at heart a pop record, Sufjan’s first. And when it came to writing these songs, Sufjan’s goal was simple: keep it moving. Eighties and early nineties jams informed Sufjan’s songwriting on this record, with Janet Jackson’s brilliant Rhythm Nation, produced by Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, as guiding light - both for the pop framework and the underlying political themes. The beats on The Ascension sound a lot like those great eighties beats: honed, skillful, yes, but also big and loud and thick and, well, just straight up fun. The hooks are obvious and catchy and like any good pop song, last way past when you’re done listening to the song. Sufjan’s vocals on The Ascension are soft, beautiful, natural, real, true."

I will listen to the record and pick up a no frills mass produced copy.

Semi-related, I feel like there’s been a quiet bump in prices recently, at a larger rate than the usual inflation. I don’t mind it if that’s what artists want to charge but it’s made me more selective about which albums/artists/labels I want to support with a $40 purchase.

12 minutes ago, Oblivions said:

I will listen to the record and pick up a no frills mass produced copy.

Semi-related, I feel like there’s been a quiet bump in prices recently, at a larger rate than the usual inflation. I don’t mind it if that’s what artists want to charge but it’s made me more selective about which albums/artists/labels I want to support with a $40 purchase.

yeah i'm trying to not make this a habit but just ascension and sign o the times preorders cost me 80. 

5 hours ago, Burkazoid said:

Just hoping the clear pressing is better this time around. My b-side was off centre. 😔

Well, I would try a black copy and see if the second side is pressed “better.”

Turn around and just sell the clear then. Even with that flaw, someone will probably buy it for at least what you paid.

Same thing happened to me with my first copy of STP “Purple.” Fortunately, that was $9.98 back in the day.

Edited by Plarocks