Cloud Nothings - The Black Hole Understands

New Cloud Nothings album out tomorrow, self released and unclear if there will be a vinyl release. The last album was good but overall is probably my least favorite. 

Cloud Nothings have a new album coming tomorrow (July 3). It’s called The Black Hole Understands. The group is self-releasing it on Bandcamp, coinciding with the platform’s next day of waiving its fees to help artists through the COVID-19 pandemic.

The band wrote and recorded The Black Hole Understands remotely while self-isolating in the early weeks of the pandemic, finishing the tracks over email. A 25% cut of the proceeds from album sales will benefit the music-education nonprofits Play On Philly and the Rainey Institute.

The Black Hole Understands:

01 Story That I Live
02 The Sound of Everyone
03 An Average World
04 A Weird Interaction
05 Tall Gray Structure
06 A Silent Reaction
07 The Mess Is Permanent
08 Right on the Edge
09 Memory of Regret
10 The Black Hole Understands

Edit for more info

Edited by CatsNJazz

17 minutes ago, OldKentuckyShark said:

LWS was disappointing but I thought LBB was a nice return to form

I enjoyed both of these albums a lot.

I guess I'm not sure exactly what "radio rock" is or why it's a bad thing. I've heard lots of good rock on the radio. But I've also never heard Cloud Nothings or anything similar to Cloud Nothings on the radio. 

Just now, ntslash said:

I'm not sure exactly what "radio rock" is or why it's a bad thing. I've heard lots of good rock on the radio. But I've also never heard Cloud Nothings or anything similar to Cloud Nothings on the radio. 

That’s the boat I’m in, too.

LWS has some of their poppiest moments and doesn’t really “go hard” or get too experimental outside of a few brief glimpses.  I think it may be their most accessible record as a whole.  But even with that said, I’m Not Part Of Me has the most hooks they’ve ever crammed into a single track, and I think it’s such a good closer to HANE.

I also really enjoyed their last album for what it’s worth.  Thought it was a pretty blistering, no-frills response to LWS’ sugary sound.  That Dissolution track is them at peak noise / build, and probably the closest they’ve gotten to capturing the lightning in the bottle that is Wasted Days.

7 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

To this day I can’t really get Turning On to do much for me, but even the S/T is a goofy, sugar-indie pop good time.

When Turning On came out, there was nothing like it, really. To boot, a 17 year old kid who wrote and played everything. The singles that preceded it, were even better. Became friends with Dylan and the guys in 2010, when Wavves toured with them, right after he started an actual band and played live, and Cloud Nothings was my favorite band, at that point. Seeing them play some of their first live shows, was fucking amazing. So much energy, especially from Jayson. Dylan’s a musician freak and I know he knows what he’s doing and definitely love and respect that. Him and Jayson released a fucking free jazz record this year haha

Edited by MyEnemy

Out on Bandcamp: https://cloudnothings.bandcamp.com/album/the-black-hole-understands

It's different to their usual, or at least to the last few albums.

I've only listened to the two songs streaming there but I think they're great. The description describes it better than I can:

Since the start, every record has had its own vibe, but these songs take a sharp turn away from the noisy thrash and improv tendencies that have shown up on recent albums. The vocals are far more delicate and dreamy, floating along on fast, jangly songs. With clean hooks and uncluttered arrangements (a synth overdub from Bee Mask’s Chris Madak is the album’s only guest feature), the songs are the kind of concise, hook-heavy blasts the band was churning out in their earliest days, only a little more distant and weary. The Black Hole Understands isn’t mellow by any means, but it shows a restraint that very much fits with the strange times that it was born of. The Black Hole Understands is hyper-melodic and high-energy but carries a sense of melancholy and cautious optimism that mirrors the restless dread of life on lockdown.

Edited by Burkazoid

• 3 weeks later...