Underoath - Three Represses (Chasing Safety, Define the Great Line, Lost in the Sound)

Edit #4: Confirmed on sale 7/7 at noon eastern via https://underoathobservatory.com.

Edit #3: Answers allegedly forthcoming the morning of 7/3. However, we at least have confirmation that these are NOT live recordings.

Edit #2: Thanks for tuning in to today's episode of bizarre vinyl adventures! All links are currently down and we have genuinely no clue what we're getting if we're getting anything! Hooray! Will we get some answers in the near future? In the immortal words of Mark Wahlberg in The Departed, "Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe fuck yourself."

Weirdly sneaky, vague represses up on Facebook of all places. Looks like they're calling them "Observatory" represses, I guess going along with their recent series of reminiscent Twitch broadcasts? All I know is, get 'em while they're hot. All on "180g translucent black vinyl" with the original standard CD artwork plus a pressing-exclusive slip band.

Box Set

They're Only Chasing Safety

Define the Great Line

Lost in the Sound of Separation

Plus a Slipmat

No word on ship date. It appears the box set has free standard shipping, but the solo releases do not.

Edit: Okay so apparently the tiny text on the slip band says "Exclusive series of 3 full albums performed in their entirety via livestream." Take that as you will.

Edited by rcafilm

3 minutes ago, justin_cole12 said:

Wondering if the slipmat comes with the boxset though..I didn't see it listed so probably not.

I had the same thought once I realized that three $25 records are being sold for $85. It may just be making up for the free shipping, though? I don't know, I really want more info on the box set. I mean, I ordered it immediately so I guess it doesn't matter, but I'm super curious anyway.

3 minutes ago, justin_cole12 said:

Fuuuuuck yes! Swooped that boxset immediately. Wondering if the slipmat comes with the boxset though..I didn't see it listed so probably not.

Edit: so weird that it's through FB though.

Going to the link from the email - it looks like the site isn’t 100% up yet...  maybe they planned to do the twitch stuff then drop the merch or something after it?

...That’s not to shit on this release by any means.  Just a little doubt that the variant is even possible, for anyone curious.

TOCS is 100% nostalgia for me but the brand of screamo just hasn’t aged all that well in my books, and I don’t know how often I’d actually spin it.  I think DTGL and LITSOS both did some really cool things at the time, too.  But, man... that box seems tailor-made for me.  As far as I’m concerned, these 3 albums were peak Underoath, and easily received the most playtime when this band was at their height of interest for my teen / early 20s tastes.

2 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

...That’s not to shit on this release by any means.  Just a little doubt that the variant is even possible, for anyone curious.

TOCS is 100% nostalgia for me but the brand of screamo just hasn’t aged all that well in my books, and I don’t know how often I’d actually spin it.  I think DTGL and LITSOS both did some really cool things at the time, too.  But, man... that box seems tailor-made for me.  As far as I’m concerned, these 3 albums were peak Underoath, and easily received the most playtime when this band was at their height of interest for my teen / early 20s tastes.

yeah had the same thought. it's probably just a standard black 180g, especially if the mockups are any indication. a bit surprised we aren't seeing some colorways given how ubiquitous they are in the vinyl game for bands in and around this scene.

also had the same thoughts on Underoath more or less. my favorite era. love the hooks of TOCS, and the innovation of the next two (esp LITSOS) were huge for me growing up. still return to LITSOS a good amount. peerless drumming. i have also come to really appreciate Disambiguation in retrospect.

4 minutes ago, copelandkid said:

yeah had the same thought. it's probably just a standard black 180g, especially if the mockups are any indication. a bit surprised we aren't seeing some colorways given how ubiquitous they are in the vinyl game for bands in and around this scene.

also had the same thoughts on Underoath more or less. my favorite era. love the hooks of TOCS, and the innovation of the next two (esp LITSOS) were huge for me growing up. still return to LITSOS a good amount. peerless drumming. i have also come to really appreciate Disambiguation in retrospect.

Disambiguation wasn’t terrible, I should clarify.  It never really gelled with me in the way those other 3 did, but it wasn’t offensive.  I think I was really starting to explore other bands and genres around that time, and just never really put in the time with it.  I can’t knock it too hard, I just know that if it were added to this box and bumped it to $100, I would have no tiny voice whispering in my ear that I may want to scoop this up for muh nostalgia.

Does anyone know if this comes housed in an actual box?

Edited by Derek™

2 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Disambiguation wasn’t terrible, I should clarify.  It never really gelled with me in the way those other 3 did, but it wasn’t offensive.  I think I was really starting to explore other bands and genres around that time, and just never really put in the time with it.  I can’t knock it too hard, I just know that if it were added to this box and bumped it to $100, I would have no tiny voice whispering in my ear that I may want to scoop this up for muh nostalgia.

Does anyone know if this comes housed in an actual box?

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/products/3170832612997485

^^seems to be a box depicted there at the bottom, solid black with the same motif as the slipmat. usually a boxset represents a discount for buying everything at once but it's an extra $10? if so, hope it's more kickass a box than it looks lol.

1 minute ago, copelandkid said:

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/products/3170832612997485

^^seems to be a box depicted there at the bottom, solid black with the same motif as the slipmat. usually a boxset represents a discount for buying everything at once but it's an extra $10? if so, hope it's more kickass a box than it looks lol.

For some reason I thought it was just a display for the slipmat at a quick glance.  Not a terrible box design.  I can’t believe there is 0 tax and 0 shipping fees, at least here in California.  Comes out to about $28 per LP which isn’t a scorching hot deal, but certainly better than anything on the aftermarket.