Underoath - Three Represses (Chasing Safety, Define the Great Line, Lost in the Sound)

2 minutes ago, [Banned User] said:

Bold of you to assume that I assumed that you were flipping. 

Limited to 666 by the way. Confirmed from the band manager’s uncle who texted me. 

Well you did say buy a couple and put a preorder up...lol 

Still shouldn't have let the dudencheckout with 100k copies if theres only 666.

1 hour ago, Whitewalls87 said:

Didn't say I wanted to flip it, I just wanted to know if I had to order right now or had a few days. Someone in an fb group added 999999 to his cart and made it to the checkout screen, so i dunno about the 400 limit.

Hey my man, meant to comment yesterday when I saw your comment, just to offer some advice: 

1)  Asking about pressing numbers is a big 'no-no' around here. If they're known, they'll be included in the OG post or updated once known (at least thats how it should be)

2) DO NOT even mention the word "flip" (includes "flipped", "flipping", "flippin", etc) Although the following is acceptable when selling records for profit: "Hey guys looking to purge the collection a bit to help with some unexpected bills." 👍

Really this is a great place and can be a very fulfilling and satisfying experience if you simply abide by the following principle:

Don't ever, for any reason, do anything, to anyone, for any reason, ever, no matter what, no matter where, or who, or who you are with, or where you are going, or where you've been, ever, for any reason whatsoever. 

Peace Out GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

5 minutes ago, ethanpricington said:

Hey my man, meant to comment yesterday when I saw your comment, just to offer some advice: 

1)  Asking about pressing numbers is a big 'no-no' around here. If they're known, they'll be included in the OG post or updated once known (at least thats how it should be)

2) DO NOT even mention the word "flip" (includes "flipped", "flipping", "flippin", etc) Although the following is acceptable when selling records for profit: "Hey guys looking to purge the collection a bit to help with some unexpected bills." 👍

Really this is a great place and can be a very fulfilling and satisfying experience if you simply abide by the following principle:

Don't ever, for any reason, do anything, to anyone, for any reason, ever, no matter what, no matter where, or who, or who you are with, or where you are going, or where you've been, ever, for any reason whatsoever. 

Peace Out GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Didn't mean to upset anyone honestly. Was just curious about it, but didn't know it was a no-no otherwise I wouldn't have asked. All this to say, I've never sold any of my records, or bought multiple copies to resell, ever. Wasnt my intention, just wanted to know if i had time. My bad y'all. 

Edited by Whitewalls87

1 minute ago, Whitewalls87 said:

Didn't mean to upset anyone honestly. Was just curious about it, but didn't know it was a no-no otherwise I wouldn't have asked. All this to say, I've never sold any of my records, or bought multiple copies to resell, ever. Wasnt my intention, just wanted to know if i had time. My bad y'all. 

Sorry bud forgot another one:

4) 99.99999% of the comments/replies will be laced with sarcasm and passive aggressiveness. You should literally treat everything that is said as complete and utter bullshit

Just now, ethanpricington said:

Sorry bud forgot another one:

4) 99.99999% of the comments/replies will be laced with sarcasm and passive aggressiveness. You should literally treat everything that is said as complete and utter bullshit

😂😂 I totally understand what you mean from your first reply though.  And yea, internet and sarcasm, what a surprise. But for real, makes sense. Thanks for the advice 🙏

I just hope Lost in the Sound finally gets a great sounding, problem-free vinyl release. I listened to my sawblade copy the other day and it has its moments of sounding really solid (Emergency Broadcast really benefits from being the cleanest-mixed, too) but the 10" format doesn't do the inside tracks any favors. Haven't listened to my 12" copy in a while, but I remember it being lacking even disregarding the pressing flaws.

Honestly, I would love to see LITSOS get re-mixed. It has a unique sound for sure, but it's so muddy so often. There's some fantastic musicianship that gets easily lost in the mix on that album. I finally got around to watching the Twitch stream for that record and the guys/Goldman/Adam were all like "yeah, the mix sounds cool, but, also, it kinda blows" which was both interesting and kind of vindicating to hear after all these years.

Edit: Also, webstore has been updated saying that all the streams will be available to rewatch until August 31st. Guess they figured out that not everybody can squeeze a stream into 24 hours.

Edited by rcafilm

40 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

Fuck this I’ll ask about pressing numbers wherever I want.

Yeah, I think there was a lot of hyperbole on this last page or so.  We have resident flippers / diddlers who are stuck in their ways, but for the most part I don’t think anyone really cares about inquiries of press numbers.  If anything we’re all just annoyed at this point.  Quantities are provided upfront when they’re limited, and we have enough people who do a fine job at manipulating the cart quantities to gauge inventory for everyone else.

And I don’t want to speak for everyone else, but my peeve with that question really boils down to... who gives a shit?

“I just want to know if I should order it soon.”

Yes.  Yes you should.  Always.  FOMO is a bitch and it doesn’t take long for newcomers to figure out why.  Err on the side of caution and buy the items you desire as soon as you can.  That approach has saved my hide way more than I’ve ever felt stung.  I can only think of a handful of times I jumped the gun and wanted to cancel an order for a different variant or a better deal, which is almost always amended with a courteous e-mail to the webstore, distro, label, etc.

“Not all of us are made out of money.  I can’t afford to buy everything I want all the time.”

Nor can I.  Unless you’re rolling in surplus funds, you learn to establish what takes priority.  Be prepared for new pre-orders, cool reissues, and other appealing shit every month.  Do your homework on Discogs: anyone who’s been collecting for more than a year is probably sitting on a gem or two that they simply don’t spin all that often, and is now reeling in a surprising amount of money.  Use it to offset weeks or months where it feels like you’re just burning through orders to stay afloat.

“I’m only asking because I get paid on Friday and I need to know if this will stick around until then.”

My favorite.  I’m not telling you how to live your life, but if you have to sweat a surprise $30-$100 order that will impact your well-being for the next 1-14 days... realistically, it’s time for a different hobby.  With shipping costs on the rise and $30 LPs becoming the norm, sadly, it feels like vinyl has become a luxurious hobby more than ever.  I’m not even wealthy, but I consider myself blessed to be able to afford a lot of the stuff this board puts on my radar, in a tight enough window that I seldom miss out.  But I would 100% avoid lurking these boards or similar subreddits if I was stuck with a more modest pay or living paycheck to paycheck.  Every year it feels like there are more and more orders rolling in.  Part of it is attributed to expanding tastes and interests in new bands, but the hobby really is alive and well, and a lot of labels know it.  It can be exhausting to keep up with.

I know this post probably reads as condescending but it’s coming from a place of honesty and personal experience.

tl;dr – buy what you want and buy it now, quantity be damned.  But not if it means you’ll have to live off toast and ramen for the next week.  I get that it’s nice to know how limited an item is, when possible, especially if you’re a stickler for logging and documenting your collection off of Discogs or whatever.  But sometimes you will simply not know how many copies of your latest purchase exist.  And I promise you... that is okay.  If rarity or resale value is your main drive in owning a physical piece of music – if you have to know you can pencil in a “/200” on your Google Doc, or eventually sell the record for 5x MSRP – then you’re really doing it all wrong.

Edited by Derek™

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

I’m not telling you how to live your life, but if you have to sweat a surprise $30-$100 order that will impact your well-being for the next 1-14 days... realistically, it’s time for a different hobby.  With shipping costs on the rise and $30 LPs becoming the norm, sadly, it feels like vinyl has become a luxurious hobby more than ever.  

I have considered this so many times in the past ~15 years but simply couldn’t stop. Living in Eastern Europe and having shipping costs almost all the time coming out more than the record itself just makes this whole thing harder. There were times when I had  literally 20 usd for food for a week after a pre order drop. But the euphoria by acquiring a personal favorite, a special version or a long sought after gem just fuels the machine.

4 hours ago, Derek™ said:

And I don’t want to speak for everyone else, but my peeve with that question really boils down to... who gives a shit?

Personally, I keep a spreadsheet of all my records and record as much info on each record as I can when I purchase it. Sometimes the details are lost once the item page gets taken down, not everything makes its way onto discogs and then if the info made its way onto a forum there might be 30 pages to comb through. With that said, you literally just wrote a 5+ paragraph essay complaining about a super basic question that gets asked about every record. Not to be condescending, but are you okay?

2 hours ago, soundofsulfur said:

Personally, I keep a spreadsheet of all my records and record as much info on each record as I can when I purchase it. Sometimes the details are lost once the item page gets taken down, not everything makes its way onto discogs and then if the info made its way onto a forum there might be 30 pages to comb through. With that said, you literally just wrote a 5+ paragraph essay complaining about a super basic question that gets asked about every record. Not to be condescending, but are you okay?

I can relate to that since I practice it, myself.  But I also literally account for it in the last paragraph of my “essay”.

I expanded my thoughts on a few different realities that many of us see often.  I figured there was more value in that than providing a crass quip and then dipping out.

Contrary to popular belief, it doesn’t really take that long to write out a thorough response.  As much as I’d love to flatter you and say that I drafted out a rough essay, chipped away at it for an hour, and proof-read it for any spelling hours... I can’t lie to you like that.  Good thing I didn’t quote any statistics – I almost forgot to cite my sources at the end there.

I’ll just do this next time;

• Who gives a shit?

• Buy now; regret later.

• If a $85 drop is going to stretch your budget for a week or more, vinyl may not be for you.

• Sometimes pressing info will never be available for your spreadsheets and OCD.

• You will live.

• The music on the LP will sound the same.