Underoath - Three Represses (Chasing Safety, Define the Great Line, Lost in the Sound)

• 2 weeks later...

Just now, ethereal said:

is there any way to watch the stream without feeding them money?

I’m sure someone, somewhere, will care enough to rip a copy.  But considering that they’re not putting out new music (thank goodness), I would assume they – like a lot of bands – make most of their living by touring, which is off the table at the moment.  Why would you be opposed to supporting artists more than ever in 2020?

1 minute ago, Derek™ said:

Why would you be opposed to supporting artists more than ever in 2020?

Definitely not opposed to it but I make an exception for Underoath. Even when they were touring - they cash grabbed and locked cool shit behind pay walls every chance they got.
Nothing has changed sadly.

2 minutes ago, ethereal said:

they cash grabbed and locked cool shit behind pay walls every chance they got.

Look, I get it. At earlier points in my life, especially when I was a broke teen, paying for entertainment was annoying and, at the time in my opinion, not fair. Yet as I’ve grown up, and even more so as a musician myself, although in no way professional or for monetary gain, I now appreciate that this is their livelihood. This is their job. Would I be angry if my employer walked in and said: “Hey that analysis report that you’ve been working on for the last few months, staying up late to finish, yea we’re not gonna pay you for that time. Because, well jus because we don’t think you should be charging us.” Ha!

Do you see my point? Entertainers are not here FOR us, they’re here SHARING WITH US their gifts. Helping us emotionally when needed. And for that, I find it completely ethical and within their creative rights to charge me for every sliver of their craft. If I don’t want it, then I can go listen to someone else. 

Just my two cents...

6 minutes ago, ethereal said:

Definitely not opposed to it but I make an exception for Underoath. Even when they were touring - they cash grabbed and locked cool shit behind pay walls every chance they got.

Understandable.  I’ve never caught them live but that does sound obnoxious.  I don’t know how I feel about streaming being the “new normal” for live shows, but if some artists I love and respect go that route – and aren’t asking for $30 to stream a show – I’ll probably bite.

Growing up, as a kid with no cash, I also grabbed just about anything and everything (digital) for free if I could.
And, looking back I didn't really have any other options, but I do my best to buy everything now that I do make a living.

Its like you either want it bad enough to pay for it, or you don't in which case don't watch the stream.
Or you do want it bad enough to pay for it, but your a cheapskate and will get it for free anyways??

Not trying to be judgy, just saying that's the way I see it. 
I still find the occasional thing for free now and then, I am no "morality god" of perfection.

16 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Understandable.  I’ve never caught them live but that does sound obnoxious.  I don’t know how I feel about streaming being the “new normal” for live shows, but if some artists I love and respect go that route – and aren’t asking for $30 to stream a show – I’ll probably bite.

Anyways, if you do want to want to watch, and your just looking for a more affordable option..

I can give you my discount link, which I was not planning to use.  Its for a $10 ticket for tonights LITSO show.

Not sure if it will work more than once, but here it is....

DM  me for the $10 ticket link, realizing its tied to my purchase ID.

Edited by V3XED

Stream was pretty good. They sounded good (most of the time) and I was reminded of how much Grant crushes the bass on this album. But holy crap they need to fire their video crew. The cuts were way too fast. It felt so rare to be able to sit there and watch someone actually play their instrument or sing, which, personally, is how I like to spend most shows. And half of those cuts were to shots that were completely empty or were of just the other camera crew. When the band was in the shots, the framing was poor to laughable the majority of the time. I'm never "that guy" but I'm going to email the Observatory address and beg them to at least slow down the switcher for the next 2 shows. It really felt visually like just a light show a lot of the time, which is a real bummer when you know these guys are talented musicians and great performers when you can actually see them.

I may have mentioned it here before but I drove 3.5 hours (I live away from every city) to see them do their first official acoustic show and they played 4 songs as a headliner and both openers played longer sets. I've continually lost respect for this band since they've reunited since everything seems like a cash grab. Code Orange's live stream method was killer and I bought merch. This seems kind of wack but I understand they have costs involved. UO's reputation is what kept me from buying a ticket because I don't have positive expectations from them anymore and didn't want to throw away my money.

I thought the stream was pretty cool, very good quality for a live show, like a dvd show rip. For some songs I can see what @rcafilm means, there were video cuts every 1/2 to 1 seconds during heavier parts. Having a circle stage with lights everywhere, it was sometimes very seizure inducing, but i guess it was a more artistic show than a usual stage show.

Also watched the Dance Gavin Dance online show tonight too, they did the usual stage with multiple camera angles. But with all the blank/black cuts between songs people on reddit think it was prerecorded.

Edited by tlr

26 minutes ago, N8TRU said:

Code Orange's live stream method was killer and I bought merch. This seems kind of wack but I understand they have costs involved. UO's reputation is what kept me from buying a ticket because I don't have positive expectations from them anymore and didn't want to throw away my money.

Yeah... I hate brining it up over and over, but Code Orange's streams have beaten everyone else's by a long shot. Very little creativity, like "let's take what we do live, and then just stick a few cameras in front of us." It's live, you put a chat there for a reason, maybe read from it and react to fans or something, I don't know.

What Code Orange did right:
1) Using Twitch. Because it's VC funded, they have unlimited hours to do whatever the hell they want. I'm pretty sure this Soundrink platform that got spun up overnight charges by the hour or 30 minute segments since it involves lots of servers backing it. This means that likely, bands will want to cut out chit chat or idleness because the fans want music more than chit chat.
2) Because it's free, people are much more likely to take that money that would have gone to gas and the show ticket to buy merch. They sold out of a ton of stuff.

3) They realize it's not a "concert". It's a livestream, things should be a little different. So they went out of their way to edit and splice together all the visuals, use those as interludes and over them playing.

I get that it's unfair to ask artists to pick all these amazing skills spontaneously, but to that I submit The Front Bottoms stream as secondary evidence. They also did theirs on Twitch and I feel like it went well for similar reasons. They had random interludes, they had a segment where they talked about books they were reading, did a few costume changes in the middle of some inflatable palm trees. Nothing difficult, but more friendly of a stream than just "here's some music". 

Edited by MCDELTAT

Damn dude, y’all could like,  not listen to them anymore if you want. Like that’s a choice you can literally make. It’s free, even.  You don’t even have to type out words about it here you could just like exit the thread

Edited by [Banned User]

10 hours ago, ethanpricington said:

Look, I get it. At earlier points in my life, especially when I was a broke teen, paying for entertainment was annoying and, at the time in my opinion, not fair. Yet as I’ve grown up, and even more so as a musician myself, although in no way professional or for monetary gain, I now appreciate that this is their livelihood. This is their job. Would I be angry if my employer walked in and said: “Hey that analysis report that you’ve been working on for the last few months, staying up late to finish, yea we’re not gonna pay you for that time. Because, well jus because we don’t think you should be charging us.” Ha!

Do you see my point? Entertainers are not here FOR us, they’re here SHARING WITH US their gifts. Helping us emotionally when needed. And for that, I find it completely ethical and within their creative rights to charge me for every sliver of their craft. If I don’t want it, then I can go listen to someone else. 

Just my two cents...

Adam Lazarra posted almost the same thing on instagram. A person asked why they couldn’t just pay their crew instead of asking people for money. 

9 hours ago, [Banned User] said:

Damn dude, y’all could like,  not listen to them anymore if you want. Like that’s a choice you can literally make. It’s free, even.  You don’t even have to type out words about it here you could just like exit the thread

I still like the band, just giving you my take on the entire quarantine industry that you didn't ask for...
More lively of a conversation than "Thanks Grabbed a copy!" and then 5 months later "Got my copy!"

Edited by MCDELTAT

1 hour ago, MCDELTAT said:

I still like the band, just giving you my take on the entire quarantine industry that you didn't ask for...
More lively of a conversation than "Thanks Grabbed a copy!" and then 5 months later "Got my copy!"

I prefer the “grabbed a copy”, “it shipped”, and “got my copy” posts because I can update my spreadsheet of people who preordered, grabbed a copy, are awaiting shipment, and had it delivered. 

kind of confirm what we thought - the store malfunction seemed to be planned haha

"The other goal of the Underoath: Observatory is to compensate for all the touring revenue lost this year. Early metrics suggest the band will easily achieve that. When Facebook published their new online store early a few Thursdays ago, 100 fans placed orders within the hour. The band played up the technical hiccup, emailing refunds and inviting fans back the following Monday with the code “UNDEROATHPATIENTZERO.”"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bryanrolli/2020/07/17/underoath-observatory-livestream-series-interview/#54c951b1b9ba

I'm hoping after all these represses and live online shows that we can eventually get a proper follow up to Lost In The Sound Of Separation. I thought the band progressed tremendously from TOCS to DTGL to LITSOS.

I think that since Aaron wasn't on Disambiguation and Erase Me was so different we could possibly see something in line with the rest of their releases.

IF we get a proper follow up I would love to see a whole album in the vein of Casting Such A Thin Shadow. I've always thought UO would make a great post rock band. Closer to something like Caspian. Nothing against Spencer and Aaron but their approach to instrumentals have always been my favorite part of the band.