Underoath - Three Represses (Chasing Safety, Define the Great Line, Lost in the Sound)

9 minutes ago, Michaelgetsboss said:

Got mine, it’s alright I guess, the obi strips are huge and ugly, idk why they didn’t just do normal size ones.

Usually if they obi strips are clunky or are just inconvenient, I trash em. Plan to do that here. 

Edited by pushbacktosquare

5 hours ago, drewberinger said:

Heard the beginning of side b on chasing is almost unlistenable 

there's some weird imperfections on an inch or so of the edge of the record (outside of the grooves). if someone drops the needle on it, it'll like make the tonearm hop and bounce on the record. ,  but otherwise it sounds pretty good (source material aside). my guess is folks are doing this or it's a case where the grooves have issues where they don't play properly on a table without a counterweight (like a crosley). 

1 minute ago, dreamover said:

they're not obi strips. they're fold-over cards that cover the spine. totally unnecessary. 

Yup you’re right and they take up like half the album art too. Why?? Also weren’t they originally supposed to be actual obi strips? Or am I remembering wrong..it’s been so long since I ordered these.

3 minutes ago, justin_cole12 said:

Yup you’re right and they take up like half the album art too. Why?? Also weren’t they originally supposed to be actual obi strips? Or am I remembering wrong..it’s been so long since I ordered these.

in person, they look exactly like they did in store mockups:

spacer.png

I doubt the fold-over card was a selling point for anyone. it definitely looks like these were designed with the idea that these would be sold exclusively on an 'observatory' tour. 

1 hour ago, dreamover said:

in person, they look exactly like they did in store mockups:

spacer.png

I doubt the fold-over card was a selling point for anyone. it definitely looks like these were designed with the idea that these would be sold exclusively on an 'observatory' tour. 

The fold over card is the only reason I bought them so yeah they better be good.

4 hours ago, dreamover said:

there's some weird imperfections on an inch or so of the edge of the record (outside of the grooves). if someone drops the needle on it, it'll like make the tonearm hop and bounce on the record. ,  but otherwise it sounds pretty good (source material aside). my guess is folks are doing this or it's a case where the grooves have issues where they don't play properly on a table without a counterweight (like a crosley). 

There's an inch or more of lead-in space? Or am I reading this wrong?

On 3/10/2021 at 12:11 PM, Derek™ said:

Yeah, for as much shit as I talk about TOCS, it's coming from a place of familiarity.  A lot of it.  I think it was probably one of my first screamo / abrasive listens, if you don't count moments of Thrice's earlier stuff.  I played the shit out of it in my youth, and I'm with you – it'd be a fun nostalgia listen at best, but DTGL & LITSOS just aged so much better.  I haven't even listened to TOCS, digitally, in ages... but I'm sure I'll be hyper-focused on those compressed cymbals the next time I may.

This is interesting! I actually like TOCS a lot more then DLGL. I think its a very unique blend of "screamo"/hardcore and pop music. DLGL to me just sounded like they were trying to sound like norma jean. Its a solid album for sure, but it just doesnt slap me with originality like TOCS does. But I can also see how people would feel the opposite. 

Also its a bummer that this pressing is not great sounding, the  2012 pressing of TOCS is one of my best sounding records, it really sounds fantastic imo.