Underoath - Three Represses (Chasing Safety, Define the Great Line, Lost in the Sound)

38 minutes ago, illuminographer said:

Hey so does anyone know if all the boxsets have shipped?

(summarizing the last page):

Yes they have. If you don’t have a tracking number by now, you have to call the band directly. At this point it’s out of the pressing plant’s hands and the band is shipping them personally themselves to fill the remaining orders. You must call the band (not email) and tell them yours is missing. They’ll confirm your name, age, address, and favorite album to make sure it’s your order. I cannot legally provide their phone number at this time, however. 

Edited by [Banned User]

51 minutes ago, MCDELTAT said:

Interesting turn of events. Got mine in already. I had ordered two, cancelled one, got a refund, but they still sent me two. I shot em an email, let's see what they say. I don't want to pay to send it back, and it'd likely be like $8+ to ship it back.

I'll (try to) buy it from you if you decide not to send it back

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but as someone who's never listened to Underoath before, can you guys recommend a place to start?  Say at a live show, how far back in their catalog do they dig?  Only Chasing Safety is an album I've heard of time and time again, but see they have 3 albums before that, from 99, 00 and 02.  Are those first three worth getting into for a casual fan, or do I really only need to start with 04's They're Only Chasing Safety?

9 minutes ago, verb1999 said:

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but as someone who's never listened to Underoath before, can you guys recommend a place to start?

im trying to imagine someone listening to underoath for the first time in their 20s or 30s and getting into it...

1 hour ago, verb1999 said:

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but as someone who's never listened to Underoath before, can you guys recommend a place to start?  Say at a live show, how far back in their catalog do they dig?  Only Chasing Safety is an album I've heard of time and time again, but see they have 3 albums before that, from 99, 00 and 02.  Are those first three worth getting into for a casual fan, or do I really only need to start with 04's They're Only Chasing Safety?

If you're into TOCS but feel that you might like something heavier, listen to The Changing of times. This was the last album they recorded with an old screamer Dallas, who prefer heavier vocals. I recommend you to listen to the older albums ONLY if you will like TCOT.

If you want to listen to something similar to TOCS, then you will definitely like Define the Great Line.

Further albums... I will avoid word "trash", but they are just different. Many people like them tho.

Okay, fair enough.  

2 hours ago, parkinglot said:

im trying to imagine someone listening to underoath for the first time in their 20s or 30s and getting into it...

Why?  Too teenage/young & angsty?  Rubber bracelets, emo swoops and girl pants from Wet Seal?  

What inspired this idea was attending New Found Glory's shows in Florida a couple weeks ago.  In Jacksonville, both at the show between bands, and at a post-show afterparty featured all kinds of music from the 04-12 MySpace era.  As much as I got into a ton of music then, it's impossible to get into ALL of it.  And Underoath was one of the bands I probably would've liked, but they weren't given the proper chance.  

But I was digging a bunch of the music that I wasn't familiar with, that I heard that night.  Bands like Taking Back Sunday, Chiodos, Finch, Postal Service, He Is Legend, Used, Fall Of Troy, Panic!, Yellowcard, As I Lay Dying, you get the idea.

That, plus Furnace Fest is coming up, don't have tickets but I would love to go.  Two of the dates are headlined by Taking Back Sunday, and Underoath, respectively.  So I thought if I do decide to go, I wouldn't mind learning some of their catalogs.  So I'm looking for a starting point.  

3 hours ago, parkinglot said:

Imagine bulling people for music tastes on a music forum.

I started to listen to Underoath at the age of 30 and have no shame about it. That's a nice band.

7 hours ago, verb1999 said:

Here’s my take on your question. 
Era 1 of the band is Albums 1 and 2. They’re unlistenable and always have been. 
Era 2 is Albums 3 and 4. They were really great screamo albums in their day, and carry a lot of influential weight. I grew out of them by about 2006.

Era 3 is Albums 5-7. These are the albums I enjoyed the most, and still listen to deep into my 30’s. Although DTGL was their peak and they get progressively worse. 
The first rule of Album 8 is we don’t talk about Album 8.

6 hours ago, Boaty McBoatface said:

Here’s my take on your question. 
Era 1 of the band is Albums 1 and 2. They’re unlistenable and always have been. 
Era 2 is Albums 3 and 4. They were really great screamo albums in their day, and carry a lot of influential weight. I grew out of them by about 2006.

Era 3 is Albums 5-7. These are the albums I enjoyed the most, and still listen to deep into my 30’s. Although DTGL was their peak and they get progressively worse. 
The first rule of Album 8 is we don’t talk about Album 8.

Lol, yeah I will weigh in because why not, But I am more or less in agreement.

• Act of depression is just pretty bad all around. (I have tried to like it many times, and failed)
  • If your into "Black Metal" Cries of the Past has a few cool moments / tracks but is mostly bad.
  • After that I would say Changing of Times was awesome for its day and still has some bangers.
  • Next is TOCS and I really think its classic for its time, but more bland and one note than what's to come
  • Next 2 Albums are genre masterpieces IMO  (Define the great line and Lost in the sound...)
  • Disambiguation is really good still, but a step down.
  • Erase me is just.... yikes. No thanks dawg. Other bands do this sound way better,