Underoath - Three Represses (Chasing Safety, Define the Great Line, Lost in the Sound)

8 minutes ago, etphonehome said:

So has anyone here actually gotten their copies yet and can confirm this sounds like shit?

One person said they heard somewhere that it was bad and 3-4 other people took that claim as fact, what more proof could you want?

3 hours ago, DafTyler said:

This is interesting! I actually like TOCS a lot more then DLGL. I think its a very unique blend of "screamo"/hardcore and pop music. DLGL to me just sounded like they were trying to sound like norma jean. Its a solid album for sure, but it just doesnt slap me with originality like TOCS does. But I can also see how people would feel the opposite. 

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Play
Unmute

Current Time 0:00
/
Duration 0:19
Loaded: 0.00%

Stream Type LIVE
Seek to live, currently playing liveLIVE
Remaining Time -0:19

Playback Rate
1x
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
  • descriptions off, selected
Captions
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track
Fullscreen

This is a modal window.

Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.

TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-Transparent BackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparent WindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaque
Font Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400% Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadow Font FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall Caps
Reset restore all settings to the default valuesDone
Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

Advertisement

Also its a bummer that this pressing is not great sounding, the  2012 pressing of TOCS is one of my best sounding records, it really sounds fantastic imo. 

How can someone have so many wrong opinions. 

4 hours ago, etphonehome said:

So has anyone here actually gotten their copies yet and can confirm this sounds like shit?

I haven't had a lot of time to do any super-critical listening, but i spun TOCS and LITSOS yesterday afternoon while I was finishing up work. Definitely the best pressing of LITSOS yet.

TOCS sounds much better than the awful DMM TOCS/DTGL that came out years ago. 

No complaints on the pressing quality. My biggest gripe is printed inner sleeves. I don't understand why labels still do them. 

7 hours ago, dreamover said:

I haven't had a lot of time to do any super-critical listening, but i spun TOCS and LITSOS yesterday afternoon while I was finishing up work. Definitely the best pressing of LITSOS yet.

TOCS sounds much better than the awful DMM TOCS/DTGL that came out years ago. 

No complaints on the pressing quality. My biggest gripe is printed inner sleeves. I don't understand why labels still do them. 

I trust this take a lot more than forum hearsay or knee-jerk Discogs comments.

2 minutes ago, DafTyler said:

Articulate 

TOCS has little to zero screamo influence.  

DTGL sounds nothing like Norma Jean. Norma Jean were a shitty Botch ripoff at this point in their career. 

That 2012 pressing of TOCS is god awful. 

Aaaaand did you get your box? IS it not great sounding? Or are you just listening to internet hearsay?

28 minutes ago, holyvacantsholyhell said:

TOCS has little to zero screamo influence.  

DTGL sounds nothing like Norma Jean. Norma Jean were a shitty Botch ripoff at this point in their career. 

Aaaaand did you get your box? IS it not great sounding? Or are you just listening to internet hearsay?

TOCS is the better album in my opinion.  DTGL sounded like generic hardcore at the time. You are free to feel differently.  Also redeemer is Norma Jeans debatable best album, so, don't agree with that. 

I've never heard any complaints about the 2012 press. But mine sounds great. Again, you are welcome to think whatever you want about it. 

No I have not listened to the new press. I was responding to this thread where a discussion on it was happening.  If it sounds awesome, great. 

On 3/12/2021 at 8:56 AM, holyvacantsholyhell said:

Was it? I honestly don't know if I ever spun it because it didn't have the bonus track that the first press had. I just sold my copies of the 2012 press. But The Changing of Times press that came out at the same time sounds pretty good. 

No Underoath record could possibly be the best sounding record I own because that's just silly.

But I just A/B'd the new press and original press of TOCS and the new pressing is definitely superior. That may be primarily because the original pressing is a bit too crowded with the bonus track. Definitely more inner groove distortion on the first pressing. 

Regardless, I had the 2016 DMM set of TOCS and DTGL and that thing was unlistenable. Sounded like they emailed some 128 kbps mp3s to pirates press to make that garbage. Which was a shame, because the art/packaging was pretty cool. 

On 3/13/2021 at 4:00 PM, dreamover said:

Was it? I honestly don't know if I ever spun it because it didn't have the bonus track that the first press had. I just sold my copies of the 2012 press. But The Changing of Times press that came out at the same time sounds pretty good. 

No Underoath record could possibly be the best sounding record I own because that's just silly.

But I just A/B'd the new press and original press of TOCS and the new pressing is definitely superior. That may be primarily because the original pressing is a bit too crowded with the bonus track. Definitely more inner groove distortion on the first pressing. 

Regardless, I had the 2016 DMM set of TOCS and DTGL and that thing was unlistenable. Sounded like they emailed some 128 kbps mp3s to pirates press to make that garbage. Which was a shame, because the art/packaging was pretty cool. 

That bundle set from 2016 was a slap in the face, yeah. Edit to say my 2012 press of TOCS very meh. But as others have said, you’re never going to get a great pressing of these albums by nature of how they were recorded

Edited by holyvacantsholyhell

On 3/11/2021 at 11:03 PM, dreamover said:

Definitely the best pressing of LITSOS yet.

Vs.

Boy, they really missed the mark on this. From the bowled discs and gaps between the tracks meant to flow together on DTGL, to the overly compressed master on LITSOS likely to fit the whole thing on one LP (and I haven’t even spun TOCS yet out of fear), this whole package is a massive disappointment. I just dropped the needle on side B of LITSOS and met three separate skips within the first minute, and I’m not using uncalibrated budget gear.

https://www.discogs.com/Underoath-Underoath-Observatory-Vinyl-Box-Set/release/17767558

Alright, which of you is lying?  Homeboy specifically cites no uncalibrated budget gear, so, I mean...

20 minutes ago, tetsuodaironman said:

Wonder if they have any more copies left? I cancelled my PO bc 9 months seemed a bit too long of a wait for this....

I can’t imagine this box or individual releases will be hard to find with all the variants out there. But who really knows. 

11 hours ago, tetsuodaironman said:

Wonder if they have any more copies left? I cancelled my PO bc 9 months seemed a bit too long of a wait for this....

Yeah I almost feel bad for cancelling my second one. Needed money for other orders, now that everyone's getting them in, lots of people on reddit that didn't get clued in this wasn't the live stream versions of the records.

12 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Vs.

Boy, they really missed the mark on this. From the bowled discs and gaps between the tracks meant to flow together on DTGL, to the overly compressed master on LITSOS likely to fit the whole thing on one LP (and I haven’t even spun TOCS yet out of fear), this whole package is a massive disappointment. I just dropped the needle on side B of LITSOS and met three separate skips within the first minute, and I’m not using uncalibrated budget gear.

https://www.discogs.com/Underoath-Underoath-Observatory-Vinyl-Box-Set/release/17767558

Alright, which of you is lying?  Homeboy specifically cites no uncalibrated budget gear, so, I mean...

Wish mine would come in so I could just decided for myself. I got the red splatter copies from Revolver and the box set from Underoath. I never pulled the trigger on a resold copy of any of their albums. I figured they would get repressed sometime. I’ll be super bummed if they end up being low quality.

13 hours ago, Derek™ said:

gaps between the tracks meant to flow together on DTGL

lmao WHAT

I remember this being a not-uncommon thing in the early days of the Vinyl Revival™, specifically with Pirates Press - the VC Norma Jean box set and the Asbestos Records pressing of Bomb the Music Industry's To Leave or Die in Long Island both had gaps between gapless songs. It was confounding then and it's even more confounding now! Listen to your test presses!

Listened to the set a bit more over the weekend. 

There are some millisecond gaps between tracks on DTGL that seem to be the biggest complaint. It honestly didn't bother me that much but I understand the gripe.

A couple of the records are slightly "bowled" but using a record weight solved that.

The second side of LITSOS gets a little hairy on the last track. The grooves are super tight and there's some inner groove distortion. I would expect a crosley would have a hard time on the last track. LITSOS is definitely pushing it for a single LP. 

3 hours ago, AlexH. said:

lmao WHAT

I remember this being a not-uncommon thing in the early days of the Vinyl Revival™, specifically with Pirates Press - the VC Norma Jean box set and the Asbestos Records pressing of Bomb the Music Industry's To Leave or Die in Long Island both had gaps between gapless songs. It was confounding then and it's even more confounding now! Listen to your test presses!

only one in my personal collection that irked me was Lydia- Illuminate
and it bugged me enough to think of it instantly when seeing this comment haha

also, if anyone here ordered non-box set copies, would be curious when they show up. i thought they sent an email that those were going out first before the box sets, but my reading comprehension suffers at times haha

11 hours ago, copelandkid said:

only one in my personal collection that irked me was Lydia- Illuminate
and it bugged me enough to think of it instantly when seeing this comment haha

also, if anyone here ordered non-box set copies, would be curious when they show up. i thought they sent an email that those were going out first before the box sets, but my reading comprehension suffers at times haha

Box sets are first, then individual variants. 

6 hours ago, tokimedo said:

Box sets are first, then individual variants. 

well yes, that seems to be the case now. this email from January indicated they planned to do the opposite, but considering how all the other plans for this release have gone,  i can't be too surprised at that haha. hopefully we will see individual copies show up soon. 

scd6EwQ.png