Underoath - Three Represses (Chasing Safety, Define the Great Line, Lost in the Sound)

3 hours ago, parkinglot said:

im trying to imagine someone listening to underoath for the first time in their 20s or 30s and getting into it...

Imagine bulling people for music tastes on a music forum.

I started to listen to Underoath at the age of 30 and have no shame about it. That's a nice band.

7 hours ago, verb1999 said:

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but as someone who's never listened to Underoath before, can you guys recommend a place to start?  Say at a live show, how far back in their catalog do they dig?  Only Chasing Safety is an album I've heard of time and time again, but see they have 3 albums before that, from 99, 00 and 02.  Are those first three worth getting into for a casual fan, or do I really only need to start with 04's They're Only Chasing Safety?

Here’s my take on your question. 
Era 1 of the band is Albums 1 and 2. They’re unlistenable and always have been. 
Era 2 is Albums 3 and 4. They were really great screamo albums in their day, and carry a lot of influential weight. I grew out of them by about 2006.

Era 3 is Albums 5-7. These are the albums I enjoyed the most, and still listen to deep into my 30’s. Although DTGL was their peak and they get progressively worse. 
The first rule of Album 8 is we don’t talk about Album 8.

6 hours ago, Boaty McBoatface said:

Here’s my take on your question. 
Era 1 of the band is Albums 1 and 2. They’re unlistenable and always have been. 
Era 2 is Albums 3 and 4. They were really great screamo albums in their day, and carry a lot of influential weight. I grew out of them by about 2006.

Era 3 is Albums 5-7. These are the albums I enjoyed the most, and still listen to deep into my 30’s. Although DTGL was their peak and they get progressively worse. 
The first rule of Album 8 is we don’t talk about Album 8.

Lol, yeah I will weigh in because why not, But I am more or less in agreement.

• Act of depression is just pretty bad all around. (I have tried to like it many times, and failed)
  • If your into "Black Metal" Cries of the Past has a few cool moments / tracks but is mostly bad.
  • After that I would say Changing of Times was awesome for its day and still has some bangers.
  • Next is TOCS and I really think its classic for its time, but more bland and one note than what's to come
  • Next 2 Albums are genre masterpieces IMO  (Define the great line and Lost in the sound...)
  • Disambiguation is really good still, but a step down.
  • Erase me is just.... yikes. No thanks dawg. Other bands do this sound way better,

20 hours ago, parkinglot said:

is this what passes for bullying these days?

I don't even necessarily read it as a criticism, I truly don't think I would like half the music I listened to when I was 14 if I hadn't first heard it when I was... 14!

It is legitimately funny picturing a 35-year-old dude with a house and kids deciding to check out Underoath, queuing up They're Only Chasing Safety, listening to "A Boy Brushed Red Living in Black and White" for the first time ever, and being like "damn... this is sick." Come on!

1 hour ago, AlexH. said:

I don't even necessarily read it as a criticism, I truly don't think I would like half the music I listened to when I was 14 if I hadn't first heard it when I was... 14!

It is legitimately funny picturing a 35-year-old dude with a house and kids deciding to check out Underoath, queuing up They're Only Chasing Safety, listening to "A Boy Brushed Red Living in Black and White" for the first time ever, and being like "damn... this is sick." Come on!

.... my 1 year old daughter likes everything I spin on vinyl, including Underoath. She'd be moshing with the best of us.

8 hours ago, AlexH. said:

This is exactly what I was getting at haha

On 5/4/2021 at 8:54 AM, AlexH. said:

What's this house and kids jargon?  What about a 39 year old all kinds of music groupie who spends all his time and money on CDs, records, cassettes, road trips, plane and concert tickets.  Classified or still unacceptable?  I'm perplexed by your judgement of anybody attempting to get into any kind of music at any time.  One part I do agree with, somewhat, it's a little silly when older cats use young kids' slang terms.  In my day, at least in my neighborhood, when something was sick, that meant bad.  So I've never used that one.  That would be pathetic.

On 5/16/2021 at 1:07 AM, verb1999 said:

What's this house and kids jargon?  What about a 39 year old all kinds of music groupie who spends all his time and money on CDs, records, cassettes, road trips, plane and concert tickets.  Classified or still unacceptable?  I'm perplexed by your judgement of anybody attempting to get into any kind of music at any time.  One part I do agree with, somewhat, it's a little silly when older cats use young kids' slang terms.  In my day, at least in my neighborhood, when something was sick, that meant bad.  So I've never used that one.  That would be pathetic.

It's weird. Get over it and just be happy being weird. That comment about slang was pretty weird just own it.