PO: SUMAC - May You Be Held LP

I received this earlier in the week and finally found a minute to throw it on without interruption.Ā  I'm almost done with side A and really digging it.Ā  The gold variant looks awesome.Ā  My C/D record has a few orange streaks from some orange pellets that found their way into the fray.Ā  It looks awesome.

On 9/19/2020 at 2:33 PM, Derekā„¢ said:

On first listen it feels like the outright riffy or crunchy guitar sections and breakdowns are maybe a little more sparse, but they're absolutely there, and it's a Sumac record through and through.Ā  I feel like the more ambient and experimental passages are a little tighter, too ā€“ not that I disliked them on Love In Shadow, but I can think of several moments of that record that feel very free-form.Ā  No doubt a product of those Haino collaborations recorded around the same timeframe.

I feel similarly, but to be fair, I'm not in love with Love in Shadow. It's good, but it definitely feels like they were home from collaborating with Haino and wanted to keep experimenting and live with the moment. A superficial listen to May You Be Held could be interpreted in the same way, but this new music feels way more intentional and tight. What One Becomes has become one of my favorite records of all time, and I have a feeling that once I sit with May You Be Held a little longer, I'm going to love it just as much.

Ā 

And oh yeah, GY!BE fucking rules live.

20 hours ago, throwgncpr said:

I feel similarly, but to be fair, I'm not in love with Love in Shadow.

Love in Shadow was moreĀ of a miss for me.Ā  I keep revisiting it hoping that something will click, but I always feel a bit bored.Ā  I'm half way through May You Be Held and I'm enjoying it a lot more.

Upon my first listen I think I have to say that consumedĀ is my favorite track off this record. I felt that this album kind of meandered a bit here and there though Iā€™ll admit I wasnā€™t fully paying attention while spinning it. Ā I find that Iā€™m more into albums when Iā€™m driving and am just operating on autopilot, with no distractions to take me away from the music. Repeated listens for the next few weeks are a must.Ā 

Edited by alwaysopenmouth

I am almost done with my first spin on this and I am absolutely loving it. I was a little worried it might be too free form but the noise parts were quite nice.Ā Now it might be time for me to triple dip on the blue.Ā 

Ā 

http://thrilljockey.com/products/may-you-be-held

21 minutes ago, BeerMonger said:

Just got my copy yesterday and the jacket is falling apart, it's not even glued together...wtf?

I love Sumac, but Turner's approach to the packaging of their recordsĀ leaves a lot to be desired....

Yeah, pretty much the only negative thingĀ I can say about this release, thankfully.

6 hours ago, BeerMonger said:

Just got my copy yesterday and the jacket is falling apart, it's not even glued together...wtf?

I love Sumac, but Turner's approach to the packaging of their recordsĀ leaves a lot to be desired....

yeah both mine had this. Must be all part of the listening experience, I'm sure it was intentional jk.

Got a nice response from Thrill Jockey about the jacket, at least they've acknowledged the issue...

Ā 

Unfortunately, the glue is a known issue - most likely was a manufacturing defect, we are in the process of looking into that.Ā 

We may have some extra jackets laying around, but they might have the same glue issue.

Could you please send a picture of the dinged corner? In the meantime I'll try to hunt down some more print for you