Would You Return?

Hi All.  So I've been having some bad luck with my local record store.  75% of the new records I purchase from them have some form of warping.  This one in particular I'd like to get some thoughts on.  They already swapped it out once and checked this new one on their turntable before I re-purchased, however they only checked side B (in hindsight I should have asked them to flip it).  Side A has some edge warping that I'm not sure would qualify as acceptable, as I don't want to risk wearing our my stylus.  If this seems fine I'd prefer not to bother the store a second time.

With that said, these recurring experiences are making me more likely to purchase online.  So far none of the LPs I've purchased from Amazon have had warping and their return policy is way easier than going back to my local store.  I always feel bad because I know stores have to eat the cost when an exchange is made.

So to sum things up, would you keep or return this record?  Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Edited by rsims

The unfortunate reality of vinyl in 2020 is that it is really hard to get perfect vinyl.  A lot of plants will only accept returns from labels if defects affects playablity.  I would say a good amount of these are probably like this when the label got them and in turn arrived at the store like this.  You say these are new and sealed so stores can't open new vinyl coming in to check them all.  The QC problems really go all the way back to the source, QC is a problem but it's a plant issue.  I will say the mail is slower now and it is giving vinyl more opportunities to warp in hot trucks as well.  I've seen a lot of warped records posted in the Metal and Core Collectors facebook group this summer.

8 minutes ago, xgrantx said:

The QC problems really go all the way back to the source, QC is a problem but it's a plant issue.  

Pretty sure this is the issue. Warped records seem to be happening more and more frequently for me (though not this frequently). 

Basically, I don't think it's the store's fault.

How could a store do QC on sealed albums?thats ridiculous. I’ve never returned an album to a store ever. Warping happens it’s part of the hobby. Get a flattener. 

although I do agree that warping seems more common in general now than say 5 years ago. 

Edited by museummouth

That’s a pretty solid warp but I would assume the record would play okay. I’ve had this issues more so with mail order (specifically amazon) if it’s common, less than $30 and if its playable I’d just keep it. If the warp bothers me I just put some books on top of it for a couple days. Usually flattens out perfectly. If it is a rarer record or more expensive I would ask for a replacement or refund. 

1 hour ago, museummouth said:

How could a store do QC on sealed albums?thats ridiculous. I’ve never returned an album to a store ever. Warping happens it’s part of the hobby. Get a flattener. 

although I do agree that warping seems more common in general now than say 5 years ago. 

I usually wont return them if i bought it locally.   Even if i should.      

im just not seeing a lot of warped records.   One a year maybe out of buying 40 or 50.  

Side A in the video has a lot more minor, yet noticeable pops and cracks than Side B which sits relatively flat.  Is that a symptom of a warped record or would warping present as  jumping / skipping when played?  Thanks again for the info!  Relatively new to collecting but really enjoying this newfound hobby.  

75% of new/sealed records I buy have some kind of warp, often medium or above. It’s been that way for about the last 2 years. I live in Southern California so I imagine it’s a combination of maybe less quality control standards at plants, as the vinyl resurgence rages on, and the temperatures of mail rooms and vans here. A few years ago, I’d check with labels/shops on large warps but now I don’t bother unless there is an actual skip or the warp is a gnarly edge warp. Large bowled warps can still play through fine and I have a $100 stylus on a $300 player so I don’t have the qualms that some have with warps putting an extra burden on their setup. In the end though, the increase in warps is one of a handful of reasons why I’ve stopped buying as many records. It is what it is and I should be slowing down my purchases anyway so I haven’t done much Flat Records or Bust advocacy at all.

Edited by Oblivions

12 hours ago, se7enstitches said:

Consistent warping issue on sealed records may be coming down to how they are stored in the retail space. There is also a possibility that you are expecting perfection where there won't be, or have too high of standards. Maybe a little bit of both, or not at all. Who knows??? 😅

I think if you are a perfectionist this hobby would drive you absolutely insane.