Would You Return?

14 hours ago, xgrantx said:

I will say the mail is slower now and it is giving vinyl more opportunities to warp in hot trucks as well. 

Under-rated comment, as these warped record discussions seem to creep up every summer

6 hours ago, nico said:

Explain to me how an a-side can be warped but a b-side is not? Doesn't make sense.

While it doesn't really match the video, I could see if, say, two A-side edges are curled up (like a bowl), when you play the B-side, those curved edges would be pushed into the platter, and flattened out.

I am still shocked with the amount of collectors that dont own a vinyl flat.

For 200 bucks it's a no brainier.  Had one for about 5 or so years.  Never have to worry about this problem.

P.s. I would say the original poster  problem is quite common these days. I call it dishing/bowling and its apparent on 1 side and not so much the other

2 hours ago, youspinmeround said:

I am still shocked with the amount of collectors that dont own a vinyl flat.

This! I've been collecting for the better part of 15 years and I don't know how I got around without the Vinyl Flat! Purchased it finally last year and fixed all my "warped" records. Now I really don't mind a "warped" record now and then. The only ones I really return are damaged sleeves(severe and non seam splits), heat damage(bubbles or dimples on the record surface), manufacturing defects(pressing errors or off centered). These are rare instances but if I have to return a record, it's mainly because I can't play it.

20 hours ago, nico said:

Explain to me how an a-side can be warped but a b-side is not? Doesn't make sense.

Nico, sorry for not making sense.  Due to the bowl shaped warping, the record exhibits the look of riding two large two waves when placed on side A.  Basically because it's a cereal bowl shaped on that side.  The other side doesn't cause the stylus to move up and down with each rotation because the record is basically a cone shape when flipped.  I assume the natural forces of gravity and weight of the record are enough to flatted it so it's not as noticeable.

Of course if a record is warped on one side, it is warped on the other.  That's how physical objects in this dimension work.  I was more referring to the visual symptoms that the warping exhibits when playing. 

Hope this clarifies things.  All of the records I get that are warped has this same look when played.  And again this is totally my fault, as the record store guy only tested one side on the turntable visually, and of course it was side B which looked fine when spinning.  I should have spoken up and asked him to test both sides.  I'm also pretty sure there is an issue going on with how they store their vinyl, as I've had no issues with Amazon records or the record store about 20 mins further down the road.

Are these modern albums you are buying?

And are the pressings for said album(s) the unlimited black version?

if yes to both of the above, this is your main issue.

also...

Check discogs reviews!!!!

95% of the time it’s a known issue with the entire batch and can be avoided by doing the due dilligence vs. blind buying and hoping for the best.

2 hours ago, se7enstitches said:

if theyre a record store who keeps their jackets empty on the shelf and then pulls from a disc file for sales I am willing to bet its a storage issue. 

I’ve seen a few stores do this and it’s so weird to me. 

beat set up is stores that have all the new stock in a back room and get you a new one when you go to checkout with a new release. 

27 minutes ago, museummouth said:

I’ve seen a few stores do this and it’s so weird to me. 

beat set up is stores that have all the new stock in a back room and get you a new one when you go to checkout with a new release. 

I've never been in a store like either of these...so bizarre

4 minutes ago, museummouth said:

I believe Reckless in Chicago keeps the discs behind the counter. 

The new location on Belmont no longer keeps them behind the counter. Everything is on the floor, but used records are sealed with the store label sticker. I haven't been to Wicker Park in a minute, they may be doing the same thing. 

7 minutes ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

I kind of miss Blockbuster and similar joints.

Yeah.  I used to pay $7 a month for unlimited (3 at a time), non-new releases. I saw a lot of foreign and indie films this way. It was good times.

Edit to say it was Hollywood Video (?) not Blockbuster.

Edited by Fowty Dollaz

38 minutes ago, Fowty Dollaz said:

Yeah.  I used to pay $7 a month for unlimited (3 at a time), non-new releases. I saw a lot of foreign and indie films this way. It was good times.

Edit to say it was Hollywood Video (?) not Blockbuster.

Not bad. Yeah, Hollywood, Blockbuster, etc. all the same to me.

Fun update!  This one was bothering me....i know i know shouldn't be picky but I couldn't help it.  It was right at the mark of being too much warping for my liking.  I stopped by the store to ask the owner about it.  He spun the A side (he only looked at side B before i purchased it) and said he definitely thinks that shouldn't be like that brand new.

He then told me my recent trouble with a large percentage of warped records from them was very strange and asked me if I was storing my vinyl in a hot car.  Seriously??  Why on earth would I be doing that??  All of my records are immediately transferred to inner/outer poly sleeves and placed upright on a shelf (with special attention paid to not storing them too tightly).  I pointed out the first record that he swapped out due to warping was in my possession for all of 35 mins, as I returned it right away.  Anyway, they are going to run it through their commercial flattener and see how it goes.

In the past month, I've purchased 10 other records from a combination of amazon and another local store with absolutely no issues.  So I can only assume that this store either isn't storing them properly in their stock room, or it's an issue with their distributer.  Either way, I guess to them I'm that guy driving around with a trunk full of records in the middle of summer 🤪.

16 minutes ago, rsims said:

Fun update!  This one was bothering me....i know i know shouldn't be picky but I couldn't help it.  It was right at the mark of being too much warping for my liking.  I stopped by the store to ask the owner about it.  He spun the A side (he only looked at side B before i purchased it) and said he definitely thinks that shouldn't be like that brand new.

He then told me my recent trouble with a large percentage of warped records from them was very strange and asked me if I was storing my vinyl in a hot car.  Seriously??  Why on earth would I be doing that??  All of my records are immediately transferred to inner/outer poly sleeves and placed upright on a shelf (with special attention paid to not storing them too tightly).  I pointed out the first record that he swapped out due to warping was in my possession for all of 35 mins, as I returned it right away.  Anyway, they are going to run it through their commercial flattener and see how it goes.

In the past month, I've purchased 10 other records from a combination of amazon and another local store with absolutely no issues.  So I can only assume that this store either isn't storing them properly in their stock room, or it's an issue with their distributer.  Either way, I guess to them I'm that guy driving around with a trunk full of records in the middle of summer 🤪.

Have you considered starting a YouTube channel?

On 7/12/2020 at 7:40 PM, xgrantx said:

I will say the mail is slower now and it is giving vinyl more opportunities to warp in hot trucks as well.

THIS. 

Since I began collecting seriously maybe a few years ago, I hadn't received a single warped record, but I've gotten 2 in the past 2 weeks. Not to mention all of my records seem to be sitting at my local hub (Detroit) for around a week before leaving there for delivery to my house. I can almost guarantee that's what's happening to mine.

On 7/17/2020 at 10:04 PM, mysundown1305 said:

THIS. 

Since I began collecting seriously maybe a few years ago, I hadn't received a single warped record, but I've gotten 2 in the past 2 weeks. Not to mention all of my records seem to be sitting at my local hub (Detroit) for around a week before leaving there for delivery to my house. I can almost guarantee that's what's happening to mine.

Just came back here to update this to 3 in 3 weeks warped. USPS fucking sucks right now.

Guess I'm gonna be buying a vinyl flat

Edited by mysundown1305