Bad Timing Test Press Vault Sale (7/15 at 2pm EST)

22 hours ago, MyEnemy said:

Hey, hit up the band members.If you’re that much of a TEN collector, I’m sure they’re aware of you and may have something they don’t want/care about anymore. Or if they don’t know who you are, would be stoked that you have more of a collection than the actual members, and hook it up. 

Nah, I don’t give a shit about any of these releases especially TPs haha. Thanks though!

This is actually how I completed my Crime In Stereo collection. I'm one of 2 (I think? last I knew) in the world who have a completed collection with all tests/record releases/everything. Ended up becoming good friends with a few of the guys, booked their band a bunch of times years later, and ended up getting free/cheap test press' of records that came later down the road. And they put me in touch with the other guy with a complete collection, who had the last thing I needed (Euro record release cover). And that guy knew the guy who put that variant out so he had an extra and hooked me up for a real cheap trade. 

My point is, worth a shot! Him them up!

6 hours ago, zacooper said:

Got shipping notifications so looks like I’m in the clear. Got the 1/5 Knuckle Puck Weight That You Buried and a KD/Tigers Jaw split. 

Did you have multiple orders? I emailed them right away about combining shipping like the listing said since I placed 4 seperate orders but haven't heard anything back. Mine haven't shipped yet though so there's still hope. Not a huge loss at like $18, but I also really don't need more mailers/my mailman to hate me even more 😂

5 hours ago, mysundown1305 said:

Did you have multiple orders? I emailed them right away about combining shipping like the listing said since I placed 4 seperate orders but haven't heard anything back. Mine haven't shipped yet though so there's still hope. Not a huge loss at like $18, but I also really don't need more mailers/my mailman to hate me even more 😂

Did have multiple orders, didn’t bother them about combining since I knew they’d be slammed and probably wouldn’t see it

It's strange to me they're encouraging people to write in and ask to combine orders. I did exactly that when I placed 2 separate orders the during the first vault sale a few weeks ago and got this response:

Hey Kyle, usually how we do this is cancel the orders so you would be able to place one order with all of the items that you want in it. But unfortunately some of the items you ordered are now out of stock, so it wouldn’t really be possible in this scenario! Sorry about that!

-Lauren

🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, tokimedo said:

I don’t know who you are, but I hate you. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283954291585

I’m surprised they only have the one up and didn’t buy other test to try and flip. See they also have the Park record I got for free with my last order from Bad Timing. 

I mostly want to know music flippers DO collect. Like do they just lurk VC to see what the "young people" like, flip that, and then add more Bob Dylan rarities to their collection?

They've got everything in there. Mordechai, two blink-182 Dogs 10"s, Alkaline Trio 7", some stuff from the other Bad Timing rarities sale like the ND/KP Split. 

Bought the Speak The Truth “...even if your voice shakes” 7”. The release on the jacket is written “even if it kills me” lol. Love motion city soundtrack anyways, and it gave me a good laugh. 

And the custom jackets for all the test presses are awesome. Nothing but love for Bad Timing Records. 

8 minutes ago, linksisfromcanada said:

Funny thing is that cheapest one is priced pretty low compared to the cheapest non-TP copy available being $200.

But yeah, pretty insane. So counting the one on Ebay, there's 4 out of 27 already up for sale?

On 7/21/2020 at 8:47 AM, MCDELTAT said:

I mostly want to know music flippers DO collect. Like do they just lurk VC to see what the "young people" like, flip that, and then add more Bob Dylan rarities to their collection?

I would guess a typical record flipper would be into something more pretentious than Dylan like Kraftwerk or Captain Beefheart.

3 hours ago, mysundown1305 said:

Funny thing is that cheapest one is priced pretty low compared to the cheapest non-TP copy available being $200.

But yeah, pretty insane. So counting the one on Ebay, there's 4 out of 27 already up for sale?

probably less than 27 were up for sale to begin with, assuming some copies remain with band and label and possibly others Bad Timing decided were in too poor of shape to sell, so it's a pretty wild % of flipping here honestly. or maybe this is normal and i'm just naive (i don't own any test pressings aside from this Lydia one incidentally)

1 minute ago, copelandkid said:

probably less than 27 were up for sale to begin with, assuming some copies remain with band and label and possibly others Bad Timing decided were in too poor of shape to sell, so it's a pretty wild % of flipping here honestly. or maybe this is normal and i'm just naive (i don't own any test pressings aside from this Lydia one incidentally)

I only own a few tests (also got this Lydia one, haha), but it seems like more of them go up for auction or charity auction or something.

This is definitely the major downside to selling them for so low. It's good in theory that everyone could afford it, but you're basically opening the floodgates for flippers because the profit is so high. I'm happy I got the ones I wanted, but I'd be pretty bummed if I was a big fan of a band, missed out and my only option was to pay 5x what they were sold for. At least when the label is auctioning them or something, you know they're pretty much going to fans because the auction is basically setting the price for what they're worth. There's not much profit to be made from there right away.

When labels do this type of auction it’s clear they’re fine making a little less than they would versus auctioning them off if it means a few of them end up in the hands of fans who’d be unable to afford them. It’s really quite admirable in my opinion.

Someone who’s going to pay hundreds for one of these will get it regardless, it’s just that in this case most of the profit will go to a flipper instead of the label but again, they must be OK with it if it means little Johnny who only had $40 to spend on his favorite band’s test press could end up with one.

6 minutes ago, unknown pleasures said:

When labels do this type of auction it’s clear they’re fine making a little less than they would versus auctioning them off if it means a few of them end up in the hands of fans who’d be unable to afford them. It’s really quite admirable in my opinion.

Someone who’s going to pay hundreds for one of these will get it regardless, it’s just that in this case most of the profit will go to a flipper instead of the label but again, they must be OK with it if it means little Johnny who only had $40 to spend on his favorite band’s test press could end up with one.

Yeah, that's a good point. 10 fans getting them for 50 is probably better than 20 fans having to all pay 200+

• 6 months later...

Must be a bit of a coincidence that this post was resurrected, because I just put my copy of Kevin Devine's Brother's Blood up on eBay if anyone is interested.

The covid era has been rough for my family so I've been forced to let go a decent amount of my vinyl, including this to pay for our health insurance later this month.

Here's the link for anyone interested!

Thanks guys!