PO: Germs - (MIA) The Complete Anthology

Stoked for this one!  Looks like after some delays, it’s shipping early/mid August.

http://porterhouserecords.com/store/germs/mia.html

We're taking you back to the good old days but with a cool twist. In a Worldwide debut The Germs (MIA) The Complete Anthology hits vinyl for the VERY FIRST TIME!

Porterhouse will deliver an rejuvenated MIA that's completely re-mastered and re-sequenced for vinyl. The album GI will appear as one 12" LP and the other LP will see the complete original sequence of the "What We Do Is Secret" EP, including the Live version of "The Other Newest One" and previously deleted live dialogue from lead singer Darby Crash. You'll now be able to experience the EP as it was actually intended to be heard. HUGE!

Additionally, songs recovered from the "Cruising" Motion Picture Soundtrack and the band's early 7"s will complete the flip-side of the second LP in the anthology.  

Additionally, songs recovered from the "Cruising" Motion Picture Soundtrack and the band's early 7"s will complete the flip-side of the second LP in the anthology. The initial pressing of "The Complete Anthology" will consist of a two LP set featuring black and blue vinyl with reverse labels. The package will also include the original liner notes.

Production of MIA has been delayed due to Covid-19 related plant closures forced by stay-at-home orders. However, we are elated to report that production has finally begun. Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound is currently re-mastering and cutting lacquers for this epic release and we'll be heading to plating shortly!

1 hour ago, lexicondevil said:

Interesting. I obviously already have GI on vinyl and I have MIA on cd. Not feeling really compelled to buy this. If they did some cool screen printed covers or something, that would be tempting.

I’m not sure how the packaging will be besides the colored vinyl.  Will definitely report back once they start shipping and let you know if it was worth it.  They’re one of few bands that I’m a completist towards.. bootlegs, live stuff, etc. so I couldn’t pass it up.  Like @glass realms mentioned.  It has the newly found ‘Cruising’ masters.  I bought the soundtrack reissue and the songs sound so good.  Way better than the ones on the MIA cd.

2 hours ago, curator said:

I’m not sure how the packaging will be besides the colored vinyl.  Will definitely report back once they start shipping and let you know if it was worth it.  They’re one of few bands that I’m a completist towards.. bootlegs, live stuff, etc. so I couldn’t pass it up.  Like @glass realms mentioned.  It has the newly found ‘Cruising’ masters.  I bought the soundtrack reissue and the songs sound so good.  Way better than the ones on the MIA cd.

You have the OG Lexicon Devil 45? I was hellbent on getting that at one point, then they flooded the market with a bunch of good boots, so I just gave up. For whatever reason, I don't get excited about colored pressings of old jazz or punk. Would like to know if you think it's worth it after you receive.

3 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

You have the OG Lexicon Devil 45? I was hellbent on getting that at one point, then they flooded the market with a bunch of good boots, so I just gave up. For whatever reason, I don't get excited about colored pressings of old jazz or punk. Would like to know if you think it's worth it after you receive.

No, I wish!  If I had that kind of $$$ to drop, definitely.  I have a boot on red vinyl/red sleeve and one of those RSD ones that some AU label released.  Same goes for ‘Forming’.. I have like a 4th pressing haha.  Had to grab an og pressing of GI and What We Do Is Secret when I discovered the band, but I don’t bother with the new colored Rhino reissues or anything like that.

I preordered right away this is looking to be D2C too unless it's a small distro my shop doesn't use. My rep asked around and no one had a clue and they were listed as a distro on Porterhouse's site. The first pressing is only 1000 copies. It's everything, it's all analog and Ryan Smith is mastering it (he is as good as Gray/Hoffman/Bellman). G.I. is out of print and What We Do Is Secret is overpriced for an EP. Seemed like a no brainer to me, you could sell your rhino, buy this and have money leftover

11 hours ago, MyEnemy said:

Every 20 year old needs this.

Strike that, every 13 year old needs this! One of those records that should be given away with first tampons and deodorant. Haha.

I put off buying a copy of (GI) like five years ago cuz I figured it would always be around at $15 and then the price went up and I just kept waiting to find one in a used bin at the $15 price point but never did. Definitely been a hole in my collection for a while now.

On 7/15/2020 at 1:34 PM, curator said:

On 7/15/2020 at 12:22 PM, lexicondevil said:

Interesting. I obviously already have GI on vinyl and I have MIA on cd. Not feeling really compelled to buy this. If they did some cool screen printed covers or something, that would be tempting.

what do you guys think?

I have an og lexicon , GI, forming and what we do..  you think I should get this?

I really never listened to MIA so I don't know what would be on it that I wouldn't have..

I am a sucker for a cool repress on color  but it seems unnecessary if I have the orig three.

thoughts?

1 hour ago, DecayToDeath said:

I put off buying a copy of (GI) like five years ago cuz I figured it would always be around at $15 and then the price went up and I just kept waiting to find one in a used bin at the $15 price point but never did. Definitely been a hole in my collection for a while now.

That’s how I feel about 90% of punk and metal essentials. I can usually come up on some stuff I’ve been looking for, but it takes years. Kind of been a bummer, how much stuff I don’t have in my collection because of that. 

4 hours ago, thepunkguy said:

what do you guys think?

I have an og lexicon , GI, forming and what we do..  you think I should get this?

I really never listened to MIA so I don't know what would be on it that I wouldn't have..

I am a sucker for a cool repress on color  but it seems unnecessary if I have the orig three.

thoughts?

I’d get it for the ‘Cruising’ sessions!  I’m also curious to hear a remastered ‘GI’.  My og sounds fine, but I hear this label does it right with their reissues.

Which color sleeve do you have on your Lexicon? Just curious 😉

1 hour ago, curator said:

I’d get it for the ‘Cruising’ sessions!  I’m also curious to hear a remastered ‘GI’.  My og sounds fine, but I hear this label does it right with their reissues.

Which color sleeve do you have on your Lexicon? Just curious 😉

I'll check it out for those sessions then..   (see above for my Germs collection)

• 3 months later...

I got my copy today and it was worth the wait. Obviously not an audiophile release but Ryan Smith did a great job as always. It's a single pocket jacket with a 2 sided insert. Disc 1 is standard black Disc 2 is a Blue/Black Marble. Both discs were flat but off center. Disc 2 was not as bad but it was a tight squeeze on to the spindle on disc 1. This is a great way to get all their stuff in one purchase (minus live and studio outtakes). I'd highly recommend ordering a copy if you have not done so already. There have been some really great reissues this year and this up there as one of my favorites thus far.