Best Deal You've Ever Gotten / Best Sale You've Ever Made

I may have just gotten one of the best deals since I began collecting, and I know I can't be the only one who has a good story. I'll post mine once I actually have it, but:

So what's the best deal you've ever found? (Buying something)

And

What's the best deal you've gotten from selling? (Ex. What has someone severely overpaid you for?)

Found a Street Smart Cyclist 7" for $1 at a local record store a few years back. It was great because I originally had one of them I had received when I was a music critic that was sent to me for review. However, at the time I was way more into CDs and didn't care a lick about vinyl. So, I ended up putting it into a storage box when I moved and it got warped to hell. I was beyond ecstatic to find a cheap replacement. 

I got A Mark A Mission A Brand A Scar for $6 before it was repressed and when it was going for $100+. Found it in a used bin at a store that must’ve missed it somehow pricing. 

Best sale: I sold a sealed authentic copy of Danzig 1 for $700. Bought it for $100 and had two copies and couldn’t pass up that offer. 

These are the top I can think of off the top of my head. I've been lucky over the years.

Bought:

MXPX- Every Passing Moment- $20 at a Chicago popup

Counting Crows- This Desert Life $20 

Soundgarden- Superunknown and Down  On the Upside OG Presses $20 each

Sold:
Bad Astronaut- Acrophobe set of 4 for $405

The Pixies Minotaur Test Press $600

lluvia - premonicion de guerra - $25 shipped

necrophagist - onset of putrefaction (solid orange /100) first press - improperly listed as the /800 version - 36£ shipped. 

isis - celestial (red & yellow on escape artist) first press - free after the seller never accepted my payment and subsequently disappeared.

Edited by IG88
error

Bought
2 copies of The Smiths Complete Super Deluxe Edition Boxes for $175 each
First pressing of Jimmy Eat World’s Static Prevails (with the bonus 7”) for $5

Sold
The Mars Volta’s The Bedlam In Goliath - bought for $10, sold for $250
The Gaslight Anthem Get Hurt Tour Variant - bought for $20, sold for $250

Some good deals off the top of my head:

Bought

Mineral - EndSerenading (Sealed OG) - $16

Sun Kil Moon - Ghosts of the Great Highway (Sealed Promo) - $25

Sun Kil Moon - Tiny Cities (Sealed Promo) - $25

Sold (mostly CDs)

Miles Davis - Complete On The Corner Sessions - Bought for $6, sold for $105

Adding another one: Had the chance to take a sealed copy of James Blunt's Back to Bedlam for free but I stupidly passed on it. Had I known how much it goes for...

Edited by KaitouG

Best find and best sale are hand in hand for me. When I was in tenth grade the first record I ever bought was a used copy of Jane Doe by Converge I found at my local record store (that years later I ended up working at) for like $20. I had it for several years before I ACTUALLY got into collecting, and after I started getting more serious about vinyl I discovered that the pressing of the record was the red/orange split OG tour variant which is the rarest version of the album ever released (at least to my knowledge). I held onto it for several more years, but eventually in college needed to pay some bills so I sold it for around $350 after the album got repressed with a better mastering.

I’ve also made $200+ on several radio rock albums (Shinedown, Alter Bridge, etc) that I bought for $20 when they were first pressed and that always amuses me.

also the time I found an OG press of The Power of Failing in a Goodwill was very cool. At the time I tried listening to it and I HATED it so I sold it immediately. I got into Mineral several years later and always regretted selling that record lol.

Edited by shadowkid33

I've been lucky and probably underpaid for most of my used collection. But 2 of my biggest deals were by the band Coil:

-Musick to Play in the Dark 1 LP - with signed certificate - I already had a copy but just missed one on ebay that a seller sold as "buy it now" for $50. Sold within minutes. So  I started watching their listings and a few days later they listed another copy of it for $75. I snagged that.  I actually sold it year later for $550 to cover the cost of something else.  Still have my other copy.

-Wheel 7" single with special artwork limited to 23 copies - No other ones had ever been posted to discogs before so someone listed it for $150. It would probably sell for 4-5x that now. I've got lucky on a  few things on Discogs only because there was no prior sales history.

-Also got an amazing condition original copy of Throbbing Gristle's 2nd Annual Report for $100 which was a steal.

Ended up the best deal.........Billie Eilish Live at Third Man.  The one she hand splattered herself.   Retail price at Third Man Records.  

Best find was probably someone selling Tron Legacy (Numbered edition) for $30 when it was $150-$200 all over the rest of ebay.  

Best sale?  Pearl Jam Live at the Orpheum for $675.  

Bought a bunch of CDs on eBay years ago including Chevelle's Point #1 for $0.10.  Inside there was a blue CD containing pre-Point #1 demo songs.  Searching online found zero information.  It was decent but one listen and a year later I decided to put it on eBay with a bunch of other stuff I was no longer listening to.  Started the bid at $0.10.

Next day it was over $200.  Pretty sure it only got that much because it was the first time it had ever been sold online, there have been a couple since for way less.
https://www.discogs.com/Chevelle-The-Blue-Album/release/7445256

Years ago I was having a conversation about record collecting and a friend of mine was like: "Hey, there's a bunch of records in my mom's garage that I don't want - you can have them if you want."

So of course I was like: SURE!

I pick up this ratty cardboard box. Start looking  through it... junk records, tons of empty 7" single sleeves, old band promo 8x10s, Rolling Stone magazines and then... a QOTSA Songs For The Deaf first Ipecac press and a handful of early Desert Sessions 10" from Man's Ruin. 

About eight years ago I bought OPs of Electro-Shock Blues (the blue 10") and New Adventures in Hi-Fi for $10 and $20 respectively from a booth at the local record show.  I went back to the show the next time hoping to see the seller again, but he wasn't there.  When I asked someone, they told me he knew who I was talking about, but that seller had died, twenty years to the date of the previous record show. 

So, bummer for me, but glad to get those two records cheap.

Bought an unknown sealed copy of The Devil Wears Prada - Zombie EP on eBay (was a second chance offer since the first buyer flaked or something) for $25. Opened when I got it and it's the rare grey marble variant. I was able to get it signed by 5/6 of the original/recording members a year or so later. Worth at least double when I first bought it, could probably get $200+ for it on a good day now.

Bought:
Chris Vrenna - Doom 3 7" - $15 (At release)

Mastodon - Remission Test Press (signed) - $50 (ebay)

Sold:
Dethalbum (deluxe edition CD) - $100 (ebay) - Honestly, the only item I bought with the intention to flip. I preordered like 3 of them when it first came out. Kept 1 and put the other 2 up on ebay after the release date. The first one when for $80 and the second for $100. 

Edited by roadmonkey